Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT Recommend a back brace

Not for bike riding, but for when I mow the lawn. My back doesn't bother me except for when I mow my 1 acre of hilly lawn. Something about the bouncing of the riding mower and holding on on the hills often leaves my back tender for a day or so afterwards. Does Walmart or Walgreens sell something that would work for me? Thanks.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do what I do: hire someone to cut the grass.
    Or you could plow it up and plant trees.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a lawn in Richmond Va. where the owner had concreted it and painted it green.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a lawn( a small one) in Richmond Va. where the owner had concreted it and painted it green.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could do that, but I must mow.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time buy a house with a small yard.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it with a 12" hand mower. Walking will not jar the back and the hills will strengthen the calves

To be honest- I think you should look at full suspension for the next mower. Many years ago I had to maintain an area of grass that was about 5 acres. 1 acre in front of the house was Hand mown and immaculate- The rest was rough cut with a 48" wide ride on mower and that ride on mower was more tiring.

And gardening on that scale is dangerous for the older body. Get the Grandchildren or a local lad that you can controll to do it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a consult with a Physical Therapist about back and brace. Seriously. Some braces may do more harm than good. No way we on this forum would have any knowledge of your particular condition. Backs vary markedly. You may (most likely) dneed core strengthening exercise.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2010 Raleigh One Way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hubby uses the type of back brace one uses for utility lifting when he mows and it helps. Try your local home improvement store to find one.

P2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Have a consult with a Physical Therapist about back and brace. Seriously. Some braces may do more harm than good. No way we on this forum would have any knowledge of your particular condition. Backs vary markedly. You may (most likely) dneed core strengthening exercise.
    I went to the doctor today for a routine visit and I mentioned my back. He gave me a series of exercises to do to strengthen it. He said bike riding won't do it. He also said I didn't need a brace. It feels better already.
    Thanks for the replys.
    Last edited by sknhgy; 07-12-10 at 02:59 PM.