My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot Foot

Or hot feet as the case may be.

I'm riding in 102 to 108 the past few days and my feet are really starting to cook after an hour. What suggestions do you wise ones have to help with hot foot besides HTFU or ride when it's cooler. I'm riding with Shimano RD-86 shoes and air-eater bootie socks.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experienced hot foot on a 40 mi ride near the end of the ride. I moved my cleats back slightly and did not experience hot foot afterwards on a 50 and 60 mi ride. My 60 mi ride was during the heat of the day in Houston near 100 deg.

I am using MTB shoes and was going to try Road Shoes if I still experienced the problem. I suspect road shoes are more comfortable for longer rides.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use riding sandals with cleats. I realize this is not the classic "hot foot" remedy, but it does keep the foot cooler.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the hot foot was probably caused primarily by friction.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried white shoes? Does it help? I've been thinking about it to see it will help my hot feet, but am hesitant on spending $300+ dollars just to learn that color doesn't matter.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking hot feet or a hot spot?

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're talking "hot foot" as in temperature, right? Not "hot foot" as the pain caused by too-tight shoes or ill-positioned cleats.

In any case, lots of folks report success with Keen sandals for riding in hot temperatures (they have plenty of fans riding in the winter, too -- people just wear heavy socks; they're good for winter because they dry fast after they get wet).

As for "hot foot," the pain caused by too-tight shoes, the answers are:
    - wear your shoes looser
    - position cleat to the rear, or get a good fitting
    - switch from spd shoes to something with a broader platform
    - super stiff soles

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Shimano R300 that are custom fitted to your foot. They have good ventilation. For socks, I wear the DeFeet super lightweight white cycling socks.

Since you took HTFU and ride in cooler weather off the table, I will suggest losing weight. The bigger the mass the more energy is used to keep the body cool and larger volume causes higher internal body temperatures. Liggett commented on this yesterday during the TdF. The climbers do very well in the heat where guys like Hushog and Cancellarra suffer.

Also, you are probably mashing the pedals too much. You might try to keep your feet in the top of the shoes throughout the pedal stroke. Forget about the scraping the gum off the bottom. This visualization will de-emphasize the quad and take some pressure off the bottom of your foot. In reality, no matter how hard you try not to, you will still push down on the pedal but the thought of keeping the foot in the top will smooth out your pedal stroke. Also, I would suggest spinning faster which works well with keeping the foot in the top of the shoe. Faster is usually better and it may result in better leg / foot cooling.

Some are just better in the heat than others and in the end you may have to HTFU if you want to ride in the heat.

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with BengeBoy and DenvrFox--sandals if your feet are hot from outside temp. Wider pedals if you have 'hot foot' caused by cleat position or small pedal contact. SPD SL pedals (Ultegra 6620) have wide contact area, and a fairly walkable cleat.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling specific socks-They work.

And pedals- If you are using Shimano M520 Pedals- Look at the A 520's.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I use riding sandals with cleats. I realize this is not the classic "hot foot" remedy, but it does keep the foot cooler.
    +1
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Are you talking hot feet or a hot spot?
    Hot feet...not spots.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Cycling specific socks-They work.

And pedals- If you are using Shimano M520 Pedals- Look at the A 520's.
    Only cycling socks...currently DeFeet Aireator ankle high...in black of course.

Also the pedals are wellgo "Look" style pedals.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    Hot feet...not spots.

Nor sure about how it works biking, but in hiking using anti-perspirant seems to work very well for boots no matter what the outside temperature. The other thing that seems to work is heavier socks. Again this works in boots hiking in desert level temps so it may be worth trying for cycling.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spray, roll-on or stick?
    Mark

Banned.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have S-Works shoes and only have heat issues when I ride for more than about 3 hours. A shot of water from the bottle cools things down nicely.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    I have S-Works shoes and only have heat issues when I ride for more than about 3 hours. A shot of water from the bottle cools things down nicely.
    I actually thought of that but thought it might make things worse with all the wetness...but if you say it helps I'll try it. Thanks.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm riding in 102 to 108 the past few days and my feet are really starting to cook after an hour. What suggestions do you wise ones have to help with hot foot besides HTFU or ride when it's cooler. I'm riding with Shimano RD-86 shoes and air-eater bootie socks.
    You've expressed a problem related to ride temperatures, not fit. If actual air temp is 108, the road surface could be 120-130. Pour some water on your feet or ride in the early morning. Make sure that you don't have the vent hole on the sole covered by an aftermarket insole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spray, roll-on or stick?
    I got the idea originally from an infantry platoon sergeant who only used spray on. Since he and his soldiers did a lot of "hiking" in pretty hot places with a lot heavier packs than I carry I didn't feel a need to experiment.

But, some of you older folks may remember what was used before spray cans.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feet swell in the heat. Loosen up those velcro straps!

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Metric Man

I'm riding in 102 to 108 the past few days and my feet are really starting to cook after an hour. What suggestions do you wise ones have to help with hot foot besides HTFU or ride when it's cooler.

I am a distance ridder and my normal ride is 5+hr. Of course in the desert heat of Arizona I have had the same problem. I routinely pour water on my head, chest, and legs for cooling. Once long ago I got some water into my shoe and I liked it. Been doing it on a regular basis since then. It works well for me. The heat coming off the asphalt when the air temp is soaring is up there. Just try and put your bare hand or foot on the asphalt and you will get the idea. No ill effects to the shoes so far. Good luck.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Feet swell in the heat. Loosen up those velcro straps!
    Yep, did that a few days ago.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I am a distance ridder and my normal ride is 5+hr. Of course in the desert heat of Arizona I have had the same problem. I routinely pour water on my head, chest, and legs for cooling. Once long ago I got some water into my shoe and I liked it. Been doing it on a regular basis since then. It works well for me. The heat coming off the asphalt when the air temp is soaring is up there. Just try and put your bare hand or foot on the asphalt and you will get the idea. No ill effects to the shoes so far. Good luck.
    OK, that's what I'm going to try next time. I have an early morning ride tomorrow (6:00am start) but Tuesday will most likely be an afternoon ride.
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you taken the foot warmers out of your shoes?

Hot is Hot. No sense adding to it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Yeah, I don't do those when the temps are over 40
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast