Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another way to do a century

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 08:48 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

https://www.pinecreekvalley.com/PineC...ToDusk-PCV.asp

This 60 year old's ride shouldn't be considered a century by Bike Forums standards, since he didn't race, wore cotton, didn't ride clipless, and ate and drank all the wrong things. Still, it might interest some folks here.

Old 07-13-10, 08:54 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry. You evidently took your time and enjoyed the ride.

Don't ever do that again.
Old 07-13-10, 08:56 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Sorry. You evidently took your time and enjoyed the ride.

Don't ever do that again.
Wasn't me.

Old 07-13-10, 09:15 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
September 17, 2008? News travels slow, I guess.
Old 07-13-10, 09:28 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That web site sure hides the state well. Took me a long time to find it was in PA.

By the way, that was NOT a Century. Instead, it WAS almost a double metric century.
Old 07-13-10, 09:40 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the link! Sounds like a great ride no matter what kind of title you put on it!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-13-10, 09:55 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
He rode 100+ miles on a bicycle in one day. That's a century in my book. Sounds like he had a good one, too.
Old 07-13-10, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
what do you mean he ate and drank the wrong things? If it keeps you going it's the right food and beverage. And I see no problems with his choice of attire.
Old 07-13-10, 10:34 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Thanks for the link! Sounds like a great ride no matter what kind of title you put on it!

Rick / OCRR
I'll be on the same trail next month. Here are some photos from last year's visit:

This is Mount Tom. No, it's not named for Mr. Stormcrowe, but I'm going to hike up it in his honor next month.

Gillespie Point, the Matterhorn of Pennsylvania. It's not high, but it's one of the few peaks in the Commonwealth to have the classic 'mountain' look.

The official snake motivator of the Clydesdale/Athena forum - Doug! This photo was just after I sprayed him with my water bottle to make him rattle.

And the trail from the heights. You can see the rail trail to the left of Pine Creek as it heads south through Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon.

Old 07-13-10, 10:49 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The only thing I might have added to the nutrition was a Big Mac! I always have a Coke on a ride. Once, I had fish'n'chips in the middle of a 70 miler.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-14-10, 07:27 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
That sounds like my kind of century.

The 70 miler I did last Monday: Okay, I wore a club jersey, but there was a reason for that (see below). Before starting at 5:30 am, had banana and a yogurt.
Mile 22: Chik-Fil-A breakfast sandwich on a bagel, tater tots & coffee.
Mile 27: Met up with my bike club (that's why I wore the jersey).
Mile 42: Rest stop; one of the group bought a six-pack so I had a beer in the middle of the ride.
Mile 56: Lunch at a Mexican restaurant- cheese enchilada special with fajita meat added, then set out alone for home.
Mile 61: Ran into a friend who had flatted. His spare tube didn't hold air so I gave him my spare.
Mile 65: Climbed Hooters Hill, standing on the pedals most of the way.
Mile 71: Arrived home at 3:30 pm.

I would have made much better time on my own. The club ride had several distances and I picked the shortest, figuring I just wanted enough to make a metric century. I should have ridden with the middle group which would have given me a C&V Century. The shortest distance group meandered at a leisurely pace that was less than my pace on the rest of the ride, plus the longer distance group took even longer to finish anyway, so we waited a while for them before heading off to lunch as a group.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 07-14-10 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 09:30 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
That sounds like my kind of century.

The 70 miler I did last Monday: Okay, I wore a club jersey, but there was a reason for that (see below). Before starting at 5:30 am, had banana and a yogurt.
Mile 22: Chik-Fil-A breakfast sandwich on a bagel, tater tots & coffee.
Mile 27: Met up with my bike club (that's why I wore the jersey).
Mile 42: Rest stop; one of the group bought a six-pack so I had a beer in the middle of the ride.
Mile 56: Lunch at a Mexican restaurant- cheese enchilada special with fajita meat added, then set out alone for home.
Mile 61: Ran into a friend who had flatted. His spare tube didn't hold air so I gave him my spare.
Mile 65: Climbed Hooters Hill, standing on the pedals most of the way.
Mile 71: Arrived home at 3:30 pm.

I would have made much better time on my own. The club ride had several distances and I picked the shortest, figuring I just wanted enough to make a metric century. I should have ridden with the middle group which would have given me a C&V Century. The shortest distance group meandered at a leisurely pace that was less than my pace on the rest of the ride, plus the longer distance group took even longer to finish anyway, so we waited a while for them before heading off to lunch as a group.
Beer....Chik Fil-A....Hooters....Mexican restaurant....coffee....leisurely pace....what is there not to like about this post?
Old 07-14-10, 09:34 AM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
I'll be on the same trail next month. Here are some photos from last year's visit:

Great photos!

Could have done without the snake.
Old 07-14-10, 09:39 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Beer....Chik Fil-A....Hooters....Mexican restaurant....coffee....leisurely pace....what is there not to like about this post?
I didn't actually set foot in Hooters unfortunately. It's just the landmark that lends its name to the hill. Did you read the full report I linked to?

Old 07-14-10, 09:51 AM
Neil_B

Great photos!

Could have done without the snake.
Sorry, but timber rattlers are all over the place in the Pine Creek Gorge. They like to sun themselves on the rock outcroppings. In fact, just before the Gorge is the large rock formation called Rattlesnake Rock.

Old 07-14-10, 06:24 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I guess I need to rethink my nutrition needs for the next century.
Old 07-15-10, 01:10 PM
You gonna eat that?

Cycling isn't, or doesn't have to be, all that high tech, including the nutrition part.

Old 07-15-10, 01:54 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
And the trail from the heights. You can see the rail trail to the left of Pine Creek as it heads south through Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon.

I attended a climbing camp retreat last April with two of my brother in laws in the same area. We did most all of our riding on the road alongside the trail with excursions up and out of the 1,300' valley then back down again only to ride up the next road out of the valley.

Both brother in laws have lavish 5th wheel trailers making the camping experience tolerable. We stayed in the Petticoat Junction Campground at Cedar Run. From my experience, stop at the general store at Cedar Run for some Perry's ice cream. At Slate Run cross the bridge and visit the Slate Run Hotel's restaurant and have a steak sandwich with a $2 Yuengling, maybe totally re-hydrate for $6. Once you get to Waterville, stop at the hotel and have a $2 Staubs Special Dark beer, and possibly totally re-hydrate again for a few more $, before you make the final pitch to Jersey Shore.

As a side trip, after the Pine Creek Trail, go a few miles over to Hyner State Park and ride up the road to the lookout. I’m still smarting from that climb.
Old 07-15-10, 02:10 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
The only thing I might have added to the nutrition was a Big Mac! I always have a Coke on a ride. Once, I had fish'n'chips in the middle of a 70 miler.
Hooya. My buddy and I astounded the naysayers on a double century several years ago, when we poo-pooed the rest stop vittles and beelined for the next burger stand.

"But they're timing you!"

Meh. Who cares? The burger and fries went down fab. And besides ... we needed the salt.

Old 07-15-10, 05:53 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I guess I need to rethink my nutrition needs for the next century.
That's for sure!
Old 07-15-10, 07:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Century* in my book. Looks like it was fun, congratulations, etc. Wish I could have been along.

tcs

*A very, very gentle century: 13 hours on almost dead flat rail trail that looks to be well sheltered from significant wind by hills and trees. Good weather, plenty of stop locations with services. From his description he probably would have done better with cycling specific shorts.
Old 07-18-10, 09:35 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I attended a climbing camp retreat last April with two of my brother in laws in the same area. We did most all of our riding on the road alongside the trail with excursions up and out of the 1,300' valley then back down again only to ride up the next road out of the valley.

Both brother in laws have lavish 5th wheel trailers making the camping experience tolerable. We stayed in the Petticoat Junction Campground at Cedar Run. From my experience, stop at the general store at Cedar Run for some Perry's ice cream. At Slate Run cross the bridge and visit the Slate Run Hotel's restaurant and have a steak sandwich with a $2 Yuengling, maybe totally re-hydrate for $6. Once you get to Waterville, stop at the hotel and have a $2 Staubs Special Dark beer, and possibly totally re-hydrate again for a few more $, before you make the final pitch to Jersey Shore.

As a side trip, after the Pine Creek Trail, go a few miles over to Hyner State Park and ride up the road to the lookout. I’m still smarting from that climb.
Rt. 44 and 414 pass by the trail, until you reach Blackwell, when 414 heads up out of the Gorge.