Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Climbing to Onyx Summit from both sides

Hi 50+ riders,

Joe Rayburn and I (both 50+) took Lauretta Rustad (20+) on a ride from Big Bear Lake up to Onyx Summit (8,440 feet elevation) last Sat. and I've had the short story posted on our club website.

Total elevation gain was just a tad over 7,000 feet in 82 miles, so quite the good ride!

Here is the link to the short report and photos. Is this okay to do, or should I repost the story and photos directly onto the 50+ forum?

Here is the link: http://www.ocrebels.com/bits.htm#mark

Rick / OCRR

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Show off!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    Show off!
    So Pam,

You think I shouldn't post stuff like this on 50+? Or are you just giving me trouble (which is fine too!).

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post away. I think it is a great ride report and pictures.

Why wouldn't you post here? Wonderful 50+ accomplishments, and an inspiration to many folks, including me.

The 50+ forum is big enough for lots of different kinds of successes and accomplishments.

My hat (helmet) is off to you.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice photos. When I lived in LA, I went skiing at Big Bear, but never biked there. Watching the Tour of California this spring on TV made me realize what I'd missed.

I like the report; thanks for posting. Somewhat less intimidating than your double century posts!!

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, Lauretta is something else!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many like me do not follow links to other sites. Various reasons but main one being slower connections or some links being difficult.

So even if it is a shorter report- let us know how much of a masochist you are by posting here.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. At 8400 ft I'd be gasping for air like a guppy out of water!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post early. Post often. Lots of pictures of beautiful scenery always make a good post.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really gotta' go live in CA for about six months before I come to room temperature, just for the riding.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, good, well I'm glad most liked it except Pam and maybe stapfam (due to the link issue). Hopefully no one else had trouble with the link to our bike club site.

Plus, I know Pam well enough that she can give me trouble about something even if she likes it . . .

This weekend we stayed (pretty much) at sea level, and close to the coast due to the warm/hot weather inland.

Yes Beanz, Lauretta is one tough cookie. She's done Angeles Crest with us last year (80 miles with 8,000 ft. of climbing) and she just keeps on climbing! I think a smaller Camelback would help (her's is 100 oz.) but her spirit doesn't need any help at all.

Lauretta couldn't ride with us to Oceanside on Sat. since she was doing a century (Smog/Surf/Smog) with the Riverside club.

Yes Monoborracho, CA is an excellent cycling state, so try to schedule a vacation (or "holiday" for stapfam) soon!

Okay Denver, Thanks for the words of encouragement! Yes, Weak Link I always try to include some pure scenery (no riders in the view) photos.

Rick / OCRR

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Post early. Post often. Lots of pictures of beautiful scenery always make a good post.
    With climbs like that I might say instead -shift early. Shift often! Of course, truth be told, I say that around here.

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    So Pam,

You think I shouldn't post stuff like this on 50+? Or are you just giving me trouble (which is fine too!).

Rick / OCRR
    You didn't notice I used the "just Kidding!" smilie???? I am just giving you trouble - you should know better - although you are still a "show off"

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    With climbs like that I might say instead - shift early. Shift often! Of course, truth be told, I say that around here.
    True rck,

The Onyx climb does change percentage of grade some and I was in my 34t in front and shifting among my 26t, 28t and 30t on the cassette.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Pam[/B]estique;11139750]You didn't notice I used the "just Kidding!" smilie???? I am just giving you trouble - you should know better - although you are still a "show off"
    Okay, thanks Pam, I feel better now!

I couldn't tell what that "stick out tongue" picture meant (I was never very good at those symbolism things), but good to know you were just giving me trouble.

Love your cat photo! I'll have to send you a photo of the goofey cat Jackie and I adopted.

Rick / OCRR