Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Fighting Leg Cramps

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Fighting Leg Cramps

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Fighting Leg Cramps

Looking for advice with an ongoing nagging issue. Seems after I hit the 40 - 50 mile mark, my hammies start to cramp up. Yesterday I did a 70 mile cookie ride and had to stop and walk every mile the last 10 miles, to stretch my legs. I'm drinking plenty of fluids (gatorade), taking GU and cliff bar, and have even tried salt tablets. It's becoming frustrating because I'm moving at a pretty good clip and then WHAM!, the muscles start to cramp.

Any ideas
Old 07-18-10, 01:30 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Freerunner,

E-Caps (Electrolyte Replacement Supplement) from Hammer Products are the solution. Not just salt but also other chemicals that you need (but sweat out). Take one every hour and no more cramps (well, you need to be hydrating too, but you seem to have that covered).

On the double centuries I ride the ride organizations that put on the rides have E-Caps at every checkpoint (30- 40 mies apart depending the climbing from one to the next). I take two at each checkpoint and since I've started doing that, no more troubles with cramps!

https://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-energy-drinks

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-18-10, 01:43 PM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your hamstrings are cramping perhaps you are overusing them. If your seat is too far back that will emphasize the back of the leg. You might consider moving the saddle forward a tad and see what that does.
Old 07-18-10, 02:42 PM

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
V-8 veggie juice
Old 07-18-10, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find that I experience muscle cramps when I start to become dehydrated. That may not be what is causing your cramps, but be carefull to stay hydrated. (I know you probably don't need to hear this but I thought I would mention it just in case.)
Old 07-18-10, 03:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Quads are really used a lot and hamstrings are not in bicycling = strong quads, weak hams. They get very tight. There are a variety of exercises and stretches to loosen and strengthen the hamstrings. This phenomenon is noted frequently in bicycle mags such as Bicycling, and by my physical therapist(s).
Old 07-18-10, 04:14 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
You might try hydrating well and taking ecaps starting 3-4 days before the ride.
Old 07-18-10, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bananas for potasium.
Old 07-18-10, 05:13 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
All of the above. Good luck
Old 07-18-10, 06:30 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I consider myself the leg cramp king. I cramp every century and sometimes on shorter rides. However, if there is one cramp I can deal with is the hamstring cramp. After a very difficult set of hamstring cramps I found that standing would keep this from occurring. I have learned, especially on a long climb, to stand on a fairly regular rate. I learned to walk around during a rest stop if the ride has not hills to stand. Works very well for me. Now, if only the other cramps were that easy.
Old 07-19-10, 06:19 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by love2pedal.com
V-8 veggie juice
Correct-V8 Fusion has potassium+ and other helpful anti-cramping stuff
Old 07-19-10, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dealing with leg cramps since 12 years old. All the common wisdom may help but medical science does not yet have the answer. Get a solution and you will be a gizillionair! The only thing I have found that helps after you start cramping is to try to spin your legs on the pedals with as little pressure as possible.
Old 07-19-10, 07:09 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Yogurt, dried figs, dates, tomato juice and V8 juice have more potassium than bananas. You can also add Lite salt to your diet. Its 50% potassium chloride. Regular table salt has no potassium.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-19-10, 01:44 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
My leg cramps seem closely associated with exceeding my fitness level - they are more common in Spring, after the Winter laziness. Haven't suffered any recently(knock on head), including this past Saturday's hilly and hot 50 mile ride.
I'm betting that if I had tried the 160 mile RAIN, my calves would have started complaining after, say, 75 miles or so.
Old 07-19-10, 02:59 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Dealing with leg cramps since 12 years old. All the common wisdom may help but medical science does not yet have the answer. Get a solution and you will be a gizillionair! The only thing I have found that helps after you start cramping is to try to spin your legs on the pedals with as little pressure as possible.
I agree with the spinning with little pressure. It has gotten me home a number of times.
Old 07-19-10, 03:22 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was the worst leg cramps I have ever had. My planned ride was 45 miles but at mile 35 I was reduced to walking a half mile and the trying to ride as far as I could. I don't ever want to experience that amount of pain again. I have tried Potassium pills ... didn't work tried magnesium pills... didn't work. I eat what I think are more than my share of bananas... don't help. Tomorrow I am going to try E-caps. I have also heard that Quinine water works well... Anyone have any knowledge about this?
Old 07-19-10, 03:56 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,471 Times in 3,219 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640
Yesterday was the worst leg cramps I have ever had. My planned ride was 45 miles but at mile 35 I was reduced to walking a half mile and the trying to ride as far as I could. I don't ever want to experience that amount of pain again. I have tried Potassium pills ... didn't work tried magnesium pills... didn't work. I eat what I think are more than my share of bananas... don't help. Tomorrow I am going to try E-caps. I have also heard that Quinine water works well... Anyone have any knowledge about this?
I can report that after 3 or more gin and tonics I have never had a cramp I can remember.
Old 07-19-10, 04:33 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640
I have tried Potassium pills ... didn't work...
That's because potassium pills are limited (by law) to 99 mg per capsule. The items I mentioned above all have 500+ mg per serving and taste much better than a capsule.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-19-10, 07:12 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gin and tonic ... good idea

At 99 mg per capsule I guess I would have to take about a half a bottle at a time.

Good info from both of you...
Old 07-19-10, 07:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
PLease be aware of potassium high dosage dangers. Don't know how much you plan on taking . . .

https://www.nutrient-world.com/mineral-resource/dangers-of-high-potassium-levels.html

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2007/...ngers-of-pota/
Old 07-19-10, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The OP hasn't come back so I don't know if this is a troll. But, in case this is serious, the answer for me and for everyone I know is to increase leg strength through excercise and use. Unless your diet is really attrocious that usually isn't the cause. If cramps are a routine thing the cause is usually lack of leg strength and total body fitness for the exercise regimen.
Old 07-19-10, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had severe leg cramps after riding, so much so I couldn't walk or would wake up at night with cramps in my ham strings. I tried eating bananas taking pills etc etc. Three things I did that really helped, one was getting my bike fit. Proper seat hight and cleat position I payed $80 bucks here in San Francisco for a Specialized trained fitter to fit my bike. Second I discovered GookinAide now called VitaLite. Developed by a doctor that was an Olympic contender and couldn't tolerate Gatorade. I have a friend that is a tennis pro that turned me on to it. So I drink that before, during and after I ride. No more cramps for me. Third I started stretching there are any number of stretching routines I stretch every morning as soon as I am out of bed. No more cramps for me. Hope that helps you.
Old 07-20-10, 04:02 PM
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Latitude65
The OP hasn't come back so I don't know if this is a troll. But, in case this is serious, the answer for me and for everyone I know is to increase leg strength through excercise and use. Unless your diet is really attrocious that usually isn't the cause. If cramps are a routine thing the cause is usually lack of leg strength and total body fitness for the exercise regimen.
Gosh-I'd hate to think of how much more exercise I'd have to do if that were the case. I kinda think the high humidiy and the significant loss of electrolytes while exercising is a significant factor-at least in the area I'm accustomed to riding in.
Old 07-21-10, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
Gosh-I'd hate to think of how much more exercise I'd have to do if that were the case. I kinda think the high humidiy and the significant loss of electrolytes while exercising is a significant factor-at least in the area I'm accustomed to riding in.

If you "kinds think" I'd hate to go against that. But, unless there are other symptoms than just leg cramps it is unlikely there is a serious electrolyte deficiency. Check it out with your medical provider.
Old 07-24-10, 03:06 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was my third day to use the E-caps that Rick recommended. My legs have never felt better. This morning I took 2 before I left the house and 2 more about an hour into my ride and 2 more before I got home. I feel like I can leap tall buildings in a single bound after my rides now.

Does anyone have a capsule that can make me faster than a speeding bullet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.