Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Attempt to ban bikes from St Charles Mo area roads

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need support from those of you in the St Charles county (Mo) area. Rest of the country, take note. First Colorado, now Missouri...
https://stlbiking.com/forum/index.php...43#entry132243
Old 07-11-10, 07:11 PM
Peddler

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, third: an Iowa county preceded Colorado, claiming liability insurance concerns.
Old 07-11-10, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The Iowa county banned organized events. Individual cyclists were not prohibited from riding on the roads.
Old 07-12-10, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I suppose that it's cheaper to keep people from using the roads than it is to make the roads safe.

I drive a school bus on all of the roads that are involved in the proposed ban. DD in particular scares me because it's fairly high speed traffic, there is no shoulder at all and significant drop offs over much of it's length. There is a project on the books to install shoulders on the roads in question but they are only planning to widen them by a couple of feet.

Frankly, I question the purpose of the proposed ban. I'm thinking it's real motivation is to remove obstacles to faster auto traffic. There are cars going off the road in these areas all of the time. If safety were the prime consideration I would think that imposing a lower speed limit would make more sense.
Old 07-12-10, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Seamless
Actually, third: an Iowa county preceded Colorado, claiming liability insurance concerns.
There's others. St Claire County in Illinois has banned group bicycle rides on the Ridge road between Columbia and Valmeier (not particularly heavily traveled) for years.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 07-12-10 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 06:50 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Did you post this in the Mountain-Plains Regional subforum? A lot of under 50 riders will read it there.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-12-10, 11:46 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
The Iowa county banned organized events. Individual cyclists were not prohibited from riding on the roads.
This was due to a death on Ragbrai, and the ensuing litigation.
Old 07-12-10, 04:05 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
In these times where "green" is a frequently used buzzword how could they attempt this? I am truly at a loss for words.............................
Old 07-12-10, 04:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

snip...

Frankly, I question the purpose of the proposed ban. I'm thinking it's real motivation is to remove obstacles to faster auto traffic. There are cars going off the road in these areas all of the time. If safety were the prime consideration I would think that imposing a lower speed limit would make more sense.
Bingo. If the purpose was safety, then it would include pedestrians and farm implements- all slow moving traffic. I applaud the SOS group for getting shoulders approved, but the interim solution is NOT banning cyclists, it's reducing the speed limit in areas of reduced visibility or passing distance.
Old 07-15-10, 05:00 AM

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
If the purpose was safety, they should ban cars. After all, how many cycle fatalities didn't involve a car?
Old 07-15-10, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Massachusetts doesn't do a heck of a lot right, but they got the bike laws right. (My opinion. Your mileage may vary.) The law clear states that bicycles may use all public ways, except for divided express highways that have been posted by the department of public works.

A few years back, some whiners in la-de-da Concord wanted bikes banned from certain roads. Apparently, they didn't like having to slow down in their over-priced SUV's. (intentional dig there) They hit a dead end when they were told what the law is. Bear in mind, Concord has always been a very popular place for cyclists, with its decent roads, New England postcard scenery, and lack of beer joints and shopping malls. But, the attitude toward cyclists started changing, I'd say about ten years ago. Using the political power that the affluent can buy, they kept the minuteman bikeway from being extended past Bedford to Concord, which was the original plan.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a rant there. Carry on. Feel sorry for cyclists in MO. They are in for what will probably be a tough fight.
Old 07-15-10, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think St. Charles may run into the problem that road usage by cyclists is specifically allowed in the state traffic code. They just ran another segment of local interest; cyclists and motorists grousing at each other over usage in the city's Forest Park. One cyclist has taken to wearing a video camera to document "close encounters".
I work at nearby Washington University, and the main drag going East-West is very heavily used by cyclists. I see an awful lot of bad behavior....Many well-equipped and high-end riders pay no attention whatever to traffic controls.
I almost center-punched some fellow last week in my police car when I exited from a side street into the path of a rider who was merrily blowing the red light....

We've had several rather nasty accidents involving cyclists in the area; about equally divided between being the fault of the car driver and the fault of the cyclist.
Old 07-15-10, 07:11 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikewer
I think St. Charles may run into the problem that road usage by cyclists is specifically allowed in the state traffic code. They just ran another segment of local interest; cyclists and motorists grousing at each other over usage in the city's Forest Park. One cyclist has taken to wearing a video camera to document "close encounters".
I work at nearby Washington University, and the main drag going East-West is very heavily used by cyclists. I see an awful lot of bad behavior....Many well-equipped and high-end riders pay no attention whatever to traffic controls.
I almost center-punched some fellow last week in my police car when I exited from a side street into the path of a rider who was merrily blowing the red light....

We've had several rather nasty accidents involving cyclists in the area; about equally divided between being the fault of the car driver and the fault of the cyclist.
Still doesn't Colorado law allow Cycling and yet Black Hawk banned bicycles in their city? I know there are supposed to be several legal challenges but as for now Black Hawk streets are cycle free.

And in another forum there is some talk about some cities closing roads to cars so bicycles can have total access. If they can ban cars from an established roadway can the not ban bicycles?

Last edited by Robert Foster; 07-15-10 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 07:15 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/s...7a4a78c22.html

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/s...7a4a78c22.html
Old 07-16-10, 11:25 AM

Another St Charles County commissioner wants to expand the proposed ban to include highways B,C,H & V in the northeastern part of the county. The roads in that part of the county are straight, low traffic, table-top flat and are much more heavily used by bicyclists. It's also the location of the "Monday Night Bike Ride" which has been featured in Bicycling Magazine and occasionally has been part of the RAAM route.
Old 07-16-10, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Still doesn't Colorado law allow Cycling and yet Black Hawk banned bicycles in their city? I know there are supposed to be several legal challenges but as for now Black Hawk streets are cycle free.

And in another forum there is some talk about some cities closing roads to cars so bicycles can have total access. If they can ban cars from an established roadway can the not ban bicycles?
Depends on the details of the state constitution and statutes. E.g. in California the state vehicle code has a section with a long list of things that 'local authorities' can regulate. If it's not on that list then a city or county can't legally enforce any local regulation. Use of bicycles on sidewalks is on the list and can be regulated by each municipality as they see fit, but bicycling on public roads is not. Don't know what the rules are in Missouri, but if they're similar to California (and apparently Mass.) then any ban on local public streets would be unenforceable.
Old 07-16-10, 01:30 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5464 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
I'm just telling you what I've heard, so don't anyone get all pissy with me.

According to the Channel 4 newscast, the number one complaint of St. Charles residents is bicycle riders who take up excessive road space. In other words, many people in St. Charles think that bike riders are road hogs. During the newscast they showed a reporter standing along Hwy 94, in a section that had a very wide shoulder. According to the report, drivers often come up on groups of cyclists who take up space in the lanes of the highways. To me, the report was implying that bike riders could ride on the shoulders of these roads, but they choose not to.
That's how the newscast came off to me.
Old 07-16-10, 09:39 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prathmann
Depends on the details of the state constitution and statutes. E.g. in California the state vehicle code has a section with a long list of things that 'local authorities' can regulate. If it's not on that list then a city or county can't legally enforce any local regulation. Use of bicycles on sidewalks is on the list and can be regulated by each municipality as they see fit, but bicycling on public roads is not. Don't know what the rules are in Missouri, but if they're similar to California (and apparently Mass.) then any ban on local public streets would be unenforceable.
Then take it they can't close a road to car traffic simply to allow bicycles access? Because the VC code does say what vehicles can travel on what public streets. Low speed vehicles are restricted as are trucks in some areas. Bicycles are normally restricted on freeways though there seems to be some exceptions on some freeways.
Old 07-17-10, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by sknhgy
According to the Channel 4 newscast, the number one complaint of St. Charles residents is bicycle riders who take up excessive road space.
I'm thinking that the majority of bicyclists in the St Charles area will admit that really happens. It's definitely true on Monday nights.
Old 07-17-10, 08:36 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I'm thinking that the majority of bicyclists in the St Charles area will admit that really happens. It's definitely true on Monday nights.
It should be simple enough to enforce traffic obstruction laws without a total (and presumably unconstitutional) ban. Alternatively, ban just the large group rides that are triggering the complaints. If a shoulder is wide, smooth, and clean, I'll willingly use it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-20-10, 06:58 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5464 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Why Monday nights?
Old 07-20-10, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by sknhgy
Why Monday nights?
It's the Monday Night Ride out of Mueller Park. Some Mondays (in addition to a number of smaller, slower groups) will attract a peloton of 50 or 60 riders. There aren't any rules and some riders have been known to cross the center line and do all manner of other things that I don't approve of. Fortunately, my wimpyness prohibits me from riding with that bunch so it's not a big problem for me. If you're not used to riding in close quarters, slower riders can become unnerved when they brush your elbows as they swoop past with no warning.
Old 07-21-10, 05:04 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Alternatively, ban just the large group rides that are triggering the complaints.
As long as they are willing to ban the motorist that slow cyclist during the motorist large group drives, called rush hour.
Old 07-21-10, 06:47 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
If bikes are outlawed, only outlaws will have bikes.

Think about it.
Old 07-21-10, 07:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Someone should introduce a bill to ban cars and trucks due to the dangers they pose to cyclists, pedestrians and their drivers and passengers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.