Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Vacation Riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Vacation Riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 07:15 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vacation Riding

Well my vacation is over and I go back to work on Monday July 19th. I have been off since July 1. I did lots of riding rode 12 out of the 18 days I have had off and rode 436 miles and enjoyed every minute of it down to the 41 miles I did today. Lots of scenic roads in the small towns around where I live and the weather could not have been better for riding even in the heat wave we have been having.

Now its back to work and all I want to do is just keep riding. If only I could win the lottery. But no such luck.

Last edited by gash44; 07-18-10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-19-10, 02:46 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have lived in the same town for 25 years. For the last 20 years I have been riding the area- but mainly up on the hills mountain biking. 4 years ago I started road riding and this year have started to explore my "Local " area.

You do not need to go on expensive holidays to find scenery that is new and exciting. My Holiday this year was spent at "Window Sill Bay"- In other words decorating the top bedroom- but I did manage to get out for a ride most days- but did not get in the milage that you did. What I did manage was to explore North of my home along roads that I would never normally go on. Like you I wish the lottery would come my way. Then I could get one of those properties in the middle of nowhere that I was finding. Middle of nowhere?---It was only 10 miles from home but it was like a different country at times.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-19-10, 06:48 PM
Just a Cyclist

Bikes: 08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I have lived in the same town for 25 years. For the last 20 years I have been riding the area- but mainly up on the hills mountain biking. 4 years ago I started road riding and this year have started to explore my "Local " area.

You do not need to go on expensive holidays to find scenery that is new and exciting. My Holiday this year was spent at "Window Sill Bay"- In other words decorating the top bedroom- but I did manage to get out for a ride most days- but did not get in the milage that you did. What I did manage was to explore North of my home along roads that I would never normally go on. Like you I wish the lottery would come my way. Then I could get one of those properties in the middle of nowhere that I was finding. Middle of nowhere?---It was only 10 miles from home but it was like a different country at times.
I live about 20 miles west of Boston and have found lots of back roads to cycle. One day I was take some pictures of a very large and very nice house when another cyclist rode by and said while looking at the house "but is he happy" my answer back was I do not know but I would be.