Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 year old rides 53 miles in 53 degree weather -- in July (ride report w/pics)

OK, I cheated a little bit. It was actually 51 degrees when I set out on my ride this morning, and the total mileage was 54, but I liked the 53 theme.

I've got some good mileage this year, but no long climbs in the mountains. With RAMROD coming up, I decided I needed some vertical miles so I headed out to Mt. Rainier National Park, parked just outside the park entrance and headed up to the Sunrise Visitor Center.

It was chilly when I set out -- I wore knee warmers, a base layer under my jersey, and arm warmers.

From where I parked my car, it's just over 20 miles to the top...about 19.5 of that is straight up.

Plenty of snow by the road near the top.

Bike enjoying the view.

Obligatory shot of bike on Sunrise sign, w/Mt. Rainier looking on. Elevation is 6,400 at this point.

Plenty of others out on the road today -- probably saw 15 or 20 other cyclists either ascending or descending the road to Sunrise (it's about 2 hours from the city to get to any of the places where cyclists start from).

I chatted w/these two at the top; they were out to do 100 miles today.

National Park Service visitor center at the top.

View of Mt. Rainier on the way down. This is a pretty nice descent -- they've been repairing rough patches in the road this summer, so it feels relatively safe. I kept it below 40 miles an hour...zoomed along at 25 to 35 mph most of the way down.

I had taken my arm warmers and knee warmers off during my climb up, but put the arm warmers back on for the descent.

After I got to the bottom, I did another climb up to Crystal Mountain Ski Resort -- about six miles straight up from where I parked my car. Very nice ski resort, undergoing renovation and expansion.

Descent from Crystal Mountain. Windy as heck; a gust caught me at one point and almost blew me over.

Great day; great scenery; nice roads; polite drivers. It was 71 degrees when I got back to my car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful. I need to get out that way for a ride.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great scenery and ride.

I have never ridden in the mountains. On the decent, to keep it below 40mph do you have to ride your breaks most of the time?
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats & thanks for the pix! Never been there, beautiful county!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzMOKS View Post

I have never ridden in the mountains. On the decent, to keep it below 40mph do you have to ride your breaks most of the time?
    Sometimes, but not on this particular road. It's a gradual climb, with a couple of steep spots, but generally just a steady pull. Going down, whenever I thought I needed to slow down I would just sit up and become "less aero."

Some of the foothills around Seattle with suburban roads on them are actually a fair amount steeper than these big mountain climbs -- it's not uncommon to top 45 mph in the suburbs around here unless you're on the brakes.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey BB send some of that weather down here. Looks like beautiful riding scenery.
    George

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have been riding today but the carport project isn't gonna get done if I don't start it so that was my weekend. Buying the needed lumber to repair what I had to tear out. Some rotted lumber and we had to take the roof of the carport last summer to do the bedroom. Dumpster in the carport and the bedroom debris out the windows in to the dumpster. Gonna ride next Sunday I don't care if its raining or not.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW-great pics and details. The overnight low in Vegas was 92, the pavement was killer by 8am.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your photos are beautiful! When I rode today temp. was 95 degrees but humidity was 53%! 51 degrees sounds refreshing right about now!

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride and great pics

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting. Love the pics. Due to the heat, most of our snow is gone - even at 14,000 feet.

My Bikes
    Soma Stanyan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, what a great ride! Thanks for the pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birthday ride?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Birthday ride?
    Not yet. Just getting ready for RAMROD. The thread title came to me when I was thinking that in addition to "riding our age" each year we should also try to "ride our age in temperature" each summer.

My birthday is next month -- I'm trying to think about where I could get to that would still be 54 degrees in late August; I think maybe first thing in the morning on top of one of our local mountain passes might do.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 07-21-10 at 11:34 AM.