Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got stopped by cops today...

While driving my vehicle back from a bike ride at a National Park, I got stopped by a county deputy for having an expired inspection sticker and the fact that my bikes blocked my license plate.

I use a Saris T Rax, which does block the view of my license number. I was ticketed for the inspection sticker infraction but he let me off on the bike rack infraction. My son said that he was looking to tack on another charge and not to worry about trying to figure out how to better display my back license plate on the next outing. I kinda agree. Most of the time you won't get stopped for this sort of thing and, when you do, they don't write you up.

What's been your experience ?

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Law enforcement is finicky. You got off easy. They usually like to collect signatures. Sometimes, when you have a youth with you they won't totally rain on a father son day. Can you lift your rack higher.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you were going to tell us you were stopped for speeding riding your bike. I've found that if you're polite to the officer it helps, not that I've had a lot of experience of being stopped by them that is.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    I thought you were going to tell us you were stopped for speeding riding your bike. I've found that if you're polite to the officer it helps, not that I've had a lot of experience of being stopped by them that is.
    I was polite but I can't help but wonder why the racks are designed to obscure the license number when it's an issue with some law enforcement. The Saris post mounts on a receiver directly below the plate. Even without bikes it partially obscures the plate. Oh yeah, speeding? I think i'd gladly pay that one given my usual pace.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get the car inspected immediately then go to court to appeal the ticket. tell them you were sorry to have missed the inspection date and show them that you got it inspected right away. they should dismiss the ticket.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is sad that some states still enforce the inspection sticker racket, but laws are laws be they good or bad.

I quit using rear-mounted racks after being rear-ended. Fortunately, my bike was not on the rack at the time of the accident. I switched to a roof-rack, but ultimately bought a mini-van with fold-down rear seats so that I could carry my bike safely inside.

Not sure where I was headed with this. Blame it on the beer . . .
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, see if they'll let you get a duplicate plate. I'm not sure about normal ones, but I've got at least two extras of my Radio Operator plates around. Then you can mount one permanently on the end of the rack or hang it on with bungee cords or something when you have the rack in place.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trailers........which attach to the same hitch also obscure the plate.............
    Just take it

My Bikes
    Specialized RoubaixComp27, Specialized Epic Marathon, GT Avalanche, Trek Soho S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Trailers........which attach to the same hitch also obscure the plate.............
    Trailers are issued their own plates in most, if not all, states. The cops are technically correct for stopping anyone with obscured plates. Most, however, will enforce the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law...thus, a warning instead of a ticket. It is legal "Probable Cause" for them to conduct a traffic enforcement stop on the motorist to see who's behind the wheel if they choose. They just never know what they'll find
    May the road be long with the wind on your back.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paipo View Post
    Trailers are issued their own plates in most, if not all, states. The cops are technically correct for stopping anyone with obscured plates. Most, however, will enforce the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law...thus, a warning instead of a ticket. It is legal "Probable Cause" for them to conduct a traffic enforcement stop on the motorist to see who's behind the wheel if they choose. They just never know what they'll find
    That may be the case here. Another cop car also arrived at the scene and I thought that was strange. Maybe they thought they had a fish on the line. But everything else checked out okay and they let me go.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    while riding home we noticed a small trailer hauling a SeaDo, which totally obscured the plate. No trailer license either.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5NRH View Post
    First, see if they'll let you get a duplicate plate. I'm not sure about normal ones, but I've got at least two extras of my Radio Operator plates around. Then you can mount one permanently on the end of the rack or hang it on with bungee cords or something when you have the rack in place.
    Good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    State and local governments are so desperate for money I am afraid it is going to get lots worse on these type of things.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a guess-while technically correct it almost sounds like you were stopped by someone who was looking for a reason to stop bike riders.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Maine, you are supposed to have a front plate, I got stopped once because I had a custom plate instead of the state issued one.
    I was told once by a officer that most of the time when they stop you for the front plate violation, they just want to check you out, like someone above posted.
    2008 Kona Fire Mountain/Xtracycle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I void warranties.
    Cycling well IS Cycling Advocacy
    Originally Posted by Steely Dan: if you're riding a bike and not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrajack View Post
    In Maine, you are supposed to have a front plate, I got stopped once because I had a custom plate instead of the state issued one.
    I was told once by a officer that most of the time when they stop you for the front plate violation, they just want to check you out, like someone above posted.
    In municipalities that have traffic cameras, a state issued front plate is required, and usually comes with a substantial fine for having a missing or custom front plate.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc_cat View Post
    It is sad that some states still enforce the inspection sticker racket, but laws are laws be they good or bad.

I quit using rear-mounted racks after being rear-ended. Fortunately, my bike was not on the rack at the time of the accident. I switched to a roof-rack . . . [/I]
    Not an option for me - I have a Corvette convertible. My Cadillac STS won't accept a roof rack or a trunk mount rack either. My only option is a bicycle rack that fits into a trailer hitch receiver.

As for roof racks: I saw a guy in a Honda destroy 2 very nice road bikes by driving under a canopy.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My (Allen) rack is nice and high, and my plate is nice and low. LenaPamCar..jpg
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
    and usually comes with a substantial fine for having a missing or custom front plate.
    It would be $50 in Maryland( missing). I know this to be so true too.

Recreational Commuter
    My Bikes
    Two brand-less build-ups.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Ohio, as long as the numer is visible and you can show that you've got the plate & registration, you're in the clear. You don't need a state-issued duplicate plate, you just need something showing the state and license no.
    Riding the Ohio MS Central Ohio Challenge tour, July 12th.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ecrider, The inspection sticker is a non moving violation. Get a recipt from the inspection station and present it in court, they're often dismissed, but then again these are hard times for most towns.

Brad

PS ciocc_cat, Inspections are a pain in the butt, especially if one has a hot rod or two, but I'd rather have them than not. My youngest went to school in Oklahoma (I don't know where I went wrong!) and there are some rat traps on the road up there.
    Last edited by bradtx; 07-19-10 at 01:04 PM.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In MA, I have not heard of anyone getting ticketed for this, but that does not mean is isn't happening. I frequently see motor vehicles going along, with bikes hanging on the back, positioned in such a way as to block a clear view of the license plate. That is a citable offense.

Cities and towns in MA are all scrambling for cash, and the motorists of this state have always been treated as private ATM's. I am hearing of people getting nailed for going only a few miles over the posted speed limits. A few years ago, most cops here would give you a verbal warning for that, and just ask you to please slow it down. Not today.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    As for roof racks: I saw a guy in a Honda destroy 2 very nice road bikes by driving under a canopy.
    Which is one of the reasons why I got the mini-van. Memories of the time my buddy Mark almost drove our "team van" with a roof rack carrying some very expensive bikes under the roof of a drive-up liquor store in 1977 have always haunted me.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another cop car also arrived at the scene and I thought that was strange.
    Police officers back each other up as a precaution, not necessarily because they think they have an overtly dangerous situation. Also it gets lonely sitting in a patrol car for eight hours or more a day, sometimes they do it as an excuse to talk to a buddy.
    People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mini van is a great way to transport bikes or other cargo. It also has an advantage over pick-up trucks in improved security.

I love my autos and I have no payments. I don't want to give up my autos and have a capital expenditure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast