Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about coming back....

After taking a full year and then some off around here due to my Bike Shop Job falling apart,
    Here I am thinking about bikes again. I sold off most of the stuff I wasn't using and of course I am upset for letting some of them go.

Not sure what I want to ride anymore. I used to love my recumbent, but they don't give me enough upper body work to make it worthwhile for me. I am really not a roadie either. The last shop I worked for gave me an evil taste in my mouth for those bikes and most of those riders at least locally.

My MTB's do most of what I want, but timing to ride is bad and making things fit my new schedule is getting tougher. This in part due to 3 jobs in 2 years. Sucks being a long tenure employee and getting the boot with less than 2 years before I could retire.

Part of me says to just sell everything off including my tool chest with all my tools. Then I think of my nephew who is trying to start up a frame building company and this could be my way back into the business by stumping frames for him in the local area. Not sure.

As some that know me a little better, I am a little confused, still a lot upset about what transpired last year.

So....I'm testing the waters again, seems like I always come back to my bikes.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering where you went. Haven't seen you in the Bike Mechanics Industry Related forum in a while. Glad you're coming back.
    Many of us have gone through some of what you're going through, including me (corporate downsizing at 55 ).
    When your head and heart tell you its time, then its time. Let us know if we can help.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the manager is an asshat, and owner not much better. I'm certain you had to work with similar people in the USAF and at EK. Did that put you off airplanes or taking pictures? So don't let them win this time either, okay?

As for roadies, I'm a roadie, I spent thousands at that shop, and you know how they screwed me on that wheelset. It's not a roadie thing, it's an asshat thing. They're everywhere, even on MTBs and 'bents.

For your nephew, point him to Velocipede Salon. It's a forum founded by framebuilders for framebuilders (and their customers). They're really big on sharing what it takes to build a successful framebuilding business. There's more to it than lighting a torch. In particular, direct him to the Smoked Out section, where builders are telling their individual stories and doing Q&A.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my nephew is further along than that. He had taken the in residence course with Yamaguchi late last year.
    First frame was less than 1 mm off from stem to stern! I am so proud of him.

On the Jobs, I spent 24 years with the Military, I still feel like I am a military man. When I retired from the military I had
    the respect and honor of my piers. At Kodak, it was a numbers thing as you know and I am glad to be gone from there.

The Shop, was just BAD. No support, promises very much broken, and all the blame was put in my court. Funny I never had a complaint in the 3 years I worked there part-time..... Makes you wonder. STILL makes me wonder. But thanks TSL for your support.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTFU, you are not dead, continue the mission and rip that rear view mirror off, you don't need it. Vietnam Vet.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ang1sgt View Post
    I think my nephew is further along than that. He had taken the in residence course with Yamaguchi late last year.
    First frame was less than 1 mm off from stem to stern! I am so proud of him.
    I think you misunderstand. V-Salon is all about how to build the business, not necessarily the frame. There's more to the business of framebuilding than welding tubes and spraying pretty paint. It's also significantly different than running an LBS. These guys want to make sure that anyone who wants to be successful in the business has all the peer support and help they need.

As for the shop, I'm in occasional contact with a couple of your predecessors. They tell the same story. It's not you.

Now, to get back into cycling, Dr. Bruce has a prescription:

I know most of your riding is solo. I think that to get over this hump you need to ride with others. Greater Rochester Off-Road Cyclists is a new group that's coming on strong. Do some of their rides.

To find out that not all roadies are cut from the same cloth, get out with the RBC. Did you know that 50+ is the largest club demographic? The Tuesday night west-side rides are conversational pace (or so I'm told). On weekends, try the Social and Sweeps rides. Social rides are just that, and on Sweeps, the leader leads from the back, leaving no rider behind. The next club ride I lead is a Sweeps ride on Sunday August 8. Meet us at Cobbs Hill Park at 9am for 21 miles out-and-back to Mendon Ponds Park.

Finally, get out early Sunday mornings and join the 'bent riders on the Hell 'Bent for Breakfast rides. Canal path at Clinton Ave, 6:30 am on Sundays, ride to breakfast in Fairport, and be back in time for church.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tsl is right, the key to sales is to just "See the people". Get out and network, join, talk to as many people as you can about what you have to offer. In this case it cycling, so the more time you see the people who have an interest in custom frames the better it is for your nephew. Have business cards ready and keep giving them out. Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you've been dealt a bad hand. I can't imagine the pain and confusion you've experienced, but you've made it this far. And you're employed. As LAriverRat said, the past is over and now you're dealing with the present.

Testing the waters as an Admiral or a sailor? Are you wondering about rejoining the bike servicing industry or resuming your riding? Maybe a little of both?

TSL lists some nice options. I can vouch for the Hellbent for breakfast bunch (recumbents greatly enjoyed though not required). It's a great way to start a Sunday and be home before 10:00a.m.

Working with/for your nephew could be exhilerating. Working out of your garage could be relaxing. Do you have the time for either option? That would be nice.

In my opinion for whatever it is worth.....bikes routinely come and go (as does ones desire to ride), but the love and awe of the machines stays buried deep inside one forever. One's wrenching skills are an integeral part of who one is regardles of whether it's a large part or a small part. I think you should keep your tools. I suspect they will become an important part of your life again someday. Maybe you'll find wrenching relaxing, maybe you'll wrench as a neccesity, or maybe you'll just service your own bike....but I think you should hold onto the tools.

I hope you keep in touch with the Forum and keep us aprised of how both you and your nephew make out.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the bikes be the bikes and recognize people for what they are. If you have a couple of MTBs, set one up city and one for trails. That is what I have done and it works good for me.

I ended up in Vegas based on promises, after 8 years of servitude and realizing that the powers probably never intended to keep their promises I took my skills elsewhere. Then Well Fargo Bank bought out the shop and I had 4 days notice to wrap up my work.

I have my own business now 4 years later. It isn't what I want-YET! The past two years have been brutal, not a good time for a business start up. But I am positioned and doing OK. I still think that if a person has some reasonable skills, hungry and wanting to leave a make on the rocks, that America is where it can happen. Who knows, you and your nephew might be the next Rocky Mountain or Niner,
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,

I guess I'll see. One of the West Side groups I see parks in the parking lot near where I work.
    Hell Bent for breakfast is a great ride. Did that numerous times about 5 years ago. Decided it wasn't for me due to the Sunday Morning ride time. It didn't give me enough time to get cleaned up and to Church. Ride pace was right for fast recumbents and I had no problem with it.

Right now I am stripping down my 92 Trek 970 that I just received back from my brother in Ohio. Was my first serious MTB and it was in great shape when I gave it to my brother. He road it like twice in 5 years so it;s pretty much the same as I left it to him. It'll be stripped to a bare frame, cleaned, polished and parts replaced as needed. Hope it needs little, because I want to keep it as original as I can.
    Last edited by ang1sgt; 07-22-10 at 05:22 AM.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon