User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 720,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Nutcase owners....

I recently bought a Nutcase helmet for my 57 yr. old noggin. Are there any other owners out there in the over 50 bracket? If so, what do you think of the helmet? I'm still getting used to the ventilation difference, not bad but less than my former lid it seems. I enjoy the helmets concept and the feeling of max protection..... just wondering, Thanks.
    Don't point a finger....Lend a hand.

On a Mission from God FunkyStickman's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Custom chopper, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look really well made, how heavy is it compared to your old helmet?

My Bikes
    Trek 720,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of hard to say, it's noticeable but not ridiculous. For my daily rides it hasn't been a issue. btw They are made really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any particular reason you got this helmet? What's it like on a hot, 90+, day?
    I like the watermellon.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They make cool stickers. I put one on my son's car yesterday.

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd never heard of a Nutcase before, so I had to look it up. Looks like they're quite popular with the hipsters, so you've got company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend looking at the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute web site, http://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm, before purchasing any helmet. Their review of the Nutcase helmets is not positive, due to Nutcase's apparent lack of understanding of relative safety standards for helmets.

If anyone is thinking of a similar (skate-style) helmet, I'd recommend looking at either the POC or TSG helmets which are the only bicycling appropriate helmets that are currently made with slip-plane technology. Apparently some motorcycle helmets have incorporated this design feature intended to better protect the brain in impact situations.

I've had two accidents resulting in two broken helmets (LAS Squalos) and two concussions this year, so I'm more than a little interested in this issue.

My Bikes
    Trek 720,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the delay in reply, working, and rideing, and stuff, ya know? I wanted the helmet as i read rounder is better for protection. It has plenty of wall between me and whatever I collide with. It really feels secure. The helmet is a bit warmer in the heat but is surpriseingly well vented, it will be a better fall and winter helmet than 90+ but then again I don't ride much over 90+. My helmet is Sharkskin Grey. So far so Good
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    Any particular reason you got this helmet? What's it like on a hot, 90+, day?
    I like the watermellon.

My Bikes
    Trek 720,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, very informative. I wonder if the approval rateing and certification will be repealed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    I highly recommend looking at the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute web site, http://www.bhsi.org/helmet10.htm, before purchasing any helmet. Their review of the Nutcase helmets is not positive, due to Nutcase's apparent lack of understanding of relative safety standards for helmets.

If anyone is thinking of a similar (skate-style) helmet, I'd recommend looking at either the POC or TSG helmets which are the only bicycling appropriate helmets that are currently made with slip-plane technology. Apparently some motorcycle helmets have incorporated this design feature intended to better protect the brain in impact situations.

I've had two accidents resulting in two broken helmets (LAS Squalos) and two concussions this year, so I'm more than a little interested in this issue.