User Tag List

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masters Nationals in Louisville

August is approaching and so are the Masters Nationals in Louisville. I received my special invitation to hang out at the Tea Cup on Main Street at Taylorsville to take in the TTs. Unfortunately the TTs have been moved to Tuesday, which is a full day for me (I block off Wednesday for sanity stuff) so I'll have to miss it.

The road race is on Wednesday and I will try to make some of it. I pulled up the course map and saw that they are including Cochran Hill this year. Cochran Hill is a source of notoriety for the local mountain bikers, as people who believe in equality and fairness use the shelter of the forest there to openly express their sexuality, much to the chagrin of cyclists who come upon them at full tilt.

There's nothing wrong with that, I guess.

But I digress.

If I don't end up wandering off into the woods myself I'll be stationed near the top of the hill. You racers are going to suffer. It's no Ventoux but after climbing it 5 or 6 times at race pace you will grow to hate it.

I'll be the yahoo out there with a cowbell and a large container of Deep Woods Off. If I walk there, I'll have my chair and everything. If I ride my mountain bike there, I'll probably be covered in mud and bloody scratches.

Good luck and give me a shout-out as you go by.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the sound of cow bells at races, and save some of the Deep Woods Off for me, sounds like I'll need it. I'm signed up for the 55-59 Road Race on the 4th and the 55-59 Crit on the 8th. I'll be in the white Stark Velo kit sponsored by Subway.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds cool. Take the Kodak. Post pics.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey TWL!

It is going to be 99 degrees with a heat index of 108 at tomorrow's road race. Will you throw water on me as I go by?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you racing?

I was planning on taking my mountain bike to "Dog Hill" at 10 and watch for an hour or two.

As I said, it's no Ventoux, but at the speeds you'll be doing and considering the steepness of the hills, you boys are going to be on the road to Suffer Village.

Or something like that. I'll have my cowbell if I can find it this evening.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My race goes off at 5:30. I'll be listening for the cow bell.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suffering. They're suffering.

Oh, the humanity. Such suffering.

My schedule is messed up because of the incipient labor of my daughter, so I could only get over to Cochran Hill for one viewing of the race, the 60-64 men. By just walking to and from my car I broke out in a sweat, as the heat index is already pushing 100.

The cyclists didn't look like they were having that much fun going up the hill. They were suffering.

Maybe I can make Jet's race.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, at huge risk to life and limb I'm atop Cochran Hill. It really is hotter than hell out here.

They are 30 minutes into the race and our own Allegheny Jet is safely within the peloton. There is no break-away, unlike this morning's action which saw the pack shatter like hot china tossed in an ice bath.

More to follow when they come round again.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now there is a four man break-away with a chase group twenty seconds behind and the peloton ammonites off. The heat is taking it's toll. No idea where Jet is but he wasn't shelled yet.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tap tap, is this thing on?

Anyway, the report from the Birks on ground: rats, our man has been shelled. Still a valiant effort, as hot as it is.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 miles to go and I'm down to may last coke. Offered my Whoppers to Jet, I think he appreciated it but didn't complete the hand-off.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last lap. Melting. They're melting.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great lap by lap reporting. To bad Jet got blown off the back. The heat sounds brutal.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds brutal there. I hope Jet fared well.
    On more thing....any word with the daughter yet?
    no goals , just ride

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They finished the race of 45 honey-baked miles in two hours, which if I do the math correctly translates into 22 MPH average. There was nothing terribly tactical about the podium placers: they simply rode everyone else into the ground.

There was a spirited contest for places 6-10 which looked like it was pretty tactical, but I couldn't hang around that long to watch them finish.

I really wanted to stay and meet Jet. I'm pretty sure I had a positive ID based on the kit, but I might have been yelling strange things at a team-mate who will no doubt wonder why some weirdo offered him a whole box of Whoppers.

So I rushed over to see my daughter who had several hard contractions in a row and then stopped. She was amazed I was drenched in sweat, and that was from just walking around out there. I think one or two finishers required IV fluids.

Just got a message from my second daughter who is also pregnant but not due until December. Yikes.

Anyway, 'chapeau' to all those competitors. The slowest of the lot would leave me in a heap of ashes if I were out there. They're animals.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can take one item off my bucket list now!

Shout out to TWL for the race report. I did see you on the hill and as we went by. The one time you said "Allegheny", I replied "where's the CHR?" You may not have been able to hear me as the hill was tough due to speeds we hit it at and I was trying to put everything into riding. After you offered the Whoppers I was ready for the hand off on the next lap and you were gone! I would have liked to meet you in person but totally understand needing to be with your daughter.

Race report:

Finished 27th out of 49 starters. The web site only shows 39 riders, but they said at the staging area right before the race "all 49 riders are signed in and present". It was hot, very hot, 101 degrees with high humidity making the heat index 112 according to the announcer at the race. Warming up for 30 minutes I drank a full bottle of gatorade then another right before the race. My wife came to the race and had additional bottles for handups during the race.

Standing around in the paddock waiting for our race to be called revealed that every guy there was a middle aged stud. Gray or no hair but lean with muscles and veins bulging. So I'm looking at the riders near me and I begin to notice the "National Champ stars and bars" on a couple jersey sleeves. Then I notice two of the guys also had "World Champ" color bars on their other sleeves! I thought to myself "man what did you get yourself into?"

The race went off and the paced picked up going down the first hill and just kept going through the first 5 mile lap. There was never any let up until we went past the start finish line and started back down the long hill. I was riding near the back of the pack just trying to follow a wheel. The 2nd lap was more like a crit where the pace would pick up then slow down with everyone coming together. After two laps I'm still in the main field and began thinking that this is going to be a good race for me.

The third time up the hill where TWL was stationed was the end for me. The pack picked it up on the bottom of the hill and I had to shift into the big ring to match the speed. At the top of the hill is a false flat and that is where I said goodbye to the main field. Recovering while riding I drifted back to the chase group and sat in the back to try to get my game back. I picked up my first bottle from my wife and threw out the first empty.

I rode the next 3 laps with the chase group and began to get comfortable enough to take a few pulls up front. The lead group must have slowed up their effort as the announcer said we were 33 seconds back as we we completed lap 5. I don't think anyone in out 10 man group was interested or capable of attempting a bridge at that point due to the heat and prior intensity. At this point I'm drinking about 3/4 of a 22oz bottle every lap.

Lap 6 proved to be my Achilles heel. even though we were not hammering the hills we still kept a fast tempo up the hills and would regroup at the top. Cochran hill is not long but has a steeper section that almost is two switch backs then the false flat on the top. I got out of the saddle to get through the steep section then when I sat down and clicked back into the big ring and tried to use "round strokes" to build speed up my hamstring cramped up forcing me to back off and loose my group. I chugged a full bottle over the next 1/2 mile.

Going up the long hill with the feed zone I got another bottle from my wife and told here that "I"m done, I'm cooked".

Lap 7 was going to be my last and I planned to noodle around to recover and enjoy the moment. I drank another bottle of Gatorade mixed with electrolytes (all my bottles has 3 opened electrolyte capsules in them) As I was riding the lap I picked up two riders who wanted to work together. I told them to grab my wheel as I was done and proceeded to pull them around the lap. Without knowing it I dropped them on Cochran hill then decided to complete the race. I finished up another bottle of fluid before the feed zone hill and had 1/2 of another in reserve. I had told my wife that I was done so I didn't expect her to have any bottle for me this time around. Our plan was beginning the 3rd lap I would get a bottle every other lap. When I went by the feed zone I yelled to her to have one for the next lap.

Lap 8 was a very good lap as for riding/racing. Right after beginning the lap the two leaders lapped me. As I was riding I kept watching for the main filed coming through but it didn't happen. I was getting my power back and was topping the rollers out of the saddle. About 1/2 way around the lap another rider lapped me and I was surprised that he didn't just blow by me. As the lap continued, 3 more riders lapped me just as I started the last hill with the feed zone. I got the 4th bottle from my wife making it my 6th. As I went through the start finish line the announcer said to stop and my place was secure. So that's it, did I mention it was hot?

As I noodled around to cool down, then returned back to my wife to help bring all the gear back to the car I finished the last bottle. From beginning my warm up at 4:30 to the end of the race at 7:30 I had consumed 8 full bottles of fluid and I was still thirsty when we got back to the car and drank 2 16oz twist of bottles.

My wife had a great idea to take the ice water in our cooler and wipe myself down with the icy water using a towel. That really felt good but the sweat continued as soon as I was done.

We then went to a local Bar B Que where I drank two big ice teas and 2 big glasses of water. Then drove the 4.5 hours back home. During the drive I drank a 24oz coffee to keep awake and another 16 oz water. After all those fluids I still hat not needed to urinate! I went to bed at 3:00 AM and still no need to pee. This morning when I go up only a couple oz's of pee. After 1/2 pot of coffee and two tumblers of water the system is back to normal.

Next up is the Crit Race on Sunday @ 1:00 PM. The race is only 45 minutes on a really flat 4 corner course. Crit racing is my strong point so maybe I'll have a better than a "mediocre placing". If your not birthing babies TWL, we can meet. We plan to ride down to Louisville on Sat to avoid the long drive then racing to get ready to race.
    Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 08-05-10 at 11:59 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be ready for a little argy bargy on the roundy rounds. If things don't get weird I may park on the Louisville side, ride across the river and catch the crit. I couldn't find the cowbell yesterday but I'll try to have it on Sunday.

One of the over 60 riders was hanging around the finish line and had his shirt off. He was ripped. It made me think for a moment that I should mend my evil ways, ride more and eat better. Then I lied down and the feeling passed.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, if you're looking for a recovery ride with the hoi peloi on Saturday, there is a 35 miler that leaves from the Yellow Lot on River Road (just east of the Tumbleweed) at 9 AM. I make this ride about 40% of the time during the summer and probably will ride it this weekend, circumstances allowing.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    BTW, if you're looking for a recovery ride with the hoi peloi on Saturday, there is a 35 miler that leaves from the Yellow Lot on River Road (just east of the Tumbleweed) at 9 AM. I make this ride about 40% of the time during the summer and probably will ride it this weekend, circumstances allowing.
    Thanks for the invite. We won't be back in town until Saturday evening. Hopefully we will meet up on Sunday.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounded like a lot of fun albeit very hot. Rob Anderson is in my 55+ peloton. As if I need it but yet another reason to HTFU.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    It sounded like a lot of fun albeit very hot. Rob Anderson is in my 55+ peloton. As if I need it but yet another reason to HTFU.
    He is fast! Now I know what I need to do to improve, if that is possible.

I can't believe that 20 riders quit during the race, they traveled across the country and just stop with out even telling the officials, that baffles me. In the 30+ race over 2/3rds abandoned.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report Jet. It sounded brutal with the heat. My hat is off to you, congrats!
    no goals , just ride

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    He is fast! Now I know what I need to do to improve, if that is possible.

I can't believe that 20 riders quit during the race, they traveled across the country and just stop with out even telling the officials, that baffles me. In the 30+ race over 2/3rds abandoned.
    It is hard to say. I think many that go to Natz have specific goals and when it becomes clear that will not pan out they quit to save themselves for another event. Also, i think the heat was exceptional. We passed on road Natz this year since we are racing Masters Track State this weekend and Natz the first week in September. Next year the road Natz will be in Oregon which we can drive to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good show, Jet. I'm betting you're already sharpening your teeth for a return match.

You da man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would appear that the Buckeye State produces a fair quantity of Geezer contenders at these events.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------