User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

47 miles in the Berkshires

Did a ride Tuesday that was for me quite an adventure. Did not have a map or gps but just headed out from Canaan, New York north to New Lebanon then southeast over Lebanon Mountain Road down into Pittsfield, Mass. From there south on 7 out of Pittsfield which was a mistake because of no bike lane and heavy traffic. Switched over to the Main street going into Lennox and there south on 7A until I met up with 7 again and it was a bit friendlier and quite scenic. Down to Stockbridge then back through West Stockbridge on back roads to 41 and 22 and finally route 295. Did 35 mph on downhill section of 295. Overall average time not spectacular. Let's just say I was in the saddle for over 4 hours. No camera but here is a screen capture of Lebanon Mountain road. Looks scarier than it is a/c Google doesn't show trees, etc.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No detailed plan, just an idea put into motion. I like it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job. Thats the only way to ride make no plans and have an adventure. I have ridden some of that area back in the mid 90's in the fall and it was great.
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5
    2007 Lemond Versailles
    2006 Lemond Croix de fer
    1995 Bianchi Eros

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride Elevations

Here is a "Map my Ride" chart of the elevations:

Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I post cue sheets and cycling route maps for a dozen rides in the Berkshires on my site at http://www.bikenewengland.com/berkshire.html and http://www.bikenewengland.com/berkshires.html

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do riding just south of there, from S. Egremont and out in all directions. Some of the hills are pretty long, and BashBish Falls road is a killer.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like all of us share the same roads from time to time. Although when in Mass I'm usually headed for Mt Greylock. One ride I will do in the fall starts at Averill Park, NY over Jimminy Peak and then up Greylock on the south side and back. Other rides are from Williamstown up and over Greylock from the North and then back. I wanted to do the Greylock Century this year but it was a rainout and I did not want to fight the weather as well as the climbs.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.