Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Stupid Bike Injury (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/665098-stupid-bike-injury.html)

stoogeswoman 07-23-10 10:05 AM

Stupid Bike Injury

I'm sitting in my living room with my right leg propped up and an ice pack on my hip. Fortunately nothing's broken, just bruised. All because I did something really dumb this morning:

My husband adjusted the bike seat for me (cause it was too low yesterday). He went out to the garage to get something and while he was there, I decided to just hop up on the bike (with the kickstand on) to make sure the seat height was correct.

And somehow got my feet tangled up in the frame and THUD! Fell off onto my right side. This was on the CONCRETE patio so OUCH!! :eek:

And most embarrassing of all - I was clad only in my nightie :o !

No trip to the Post Office for me today - promised hubby I'd rest till he gets home, just in case!

Nothing like a really dumb, embarrassing injury to start your weekend right! :D

RonH 07-23-10 10:11 AM

Sorry to hear about the fall. I know just how your side feels. I got my front wheel caught in a 1" rut a few weeks ago and was promptly thrown to the ground. Thud!! On my right side. It took almost 3 weeks for the pain in my side to go away. Hopefully you'll heal faster since you're much younger than me.

stapfam 07-23-10 10:27 AM

Always said Kick stands were dangerous:(:(

BluesDawg 07-23-10 10:54 AM

pictures? ;)

CraigB 07-23-10 11:37 AM

I know at least the physical sensation you experienced, if not the emotional one. A couple of years ago I was just getting back into riding after a 20 year hiatus. My skills were beyond rusty, and when it happened it was late in the ride and I was a little cooked - I tried to hop a curb cut - not a full curb, just like a parking lot entry apron - to get out of some bad traffic. I didn't even clear that stupid little 1" of concrete. I was down before I knew what was happening.

Come to think of it, failing a one inch jump is pretty embarassing after all.

Daspydyr 07-23-10 11:58 AM

Did the neighbors see, will there be anything on Youtube?

Sorry about your fall. Its seems the slow motion, just a dumb fall are the ones that happen most often. We all look forward to your return.

leob1 07-23-10 12:17 PM

So...is the bike ok?

stoogeswoman 07-23-10 12:25 PM

Oh, the bike's fine - looking very sweet and innocent out in the sun right now!

I spent the morning watching "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" (classic bike movie!) and feel a lot better! Will go out and take a few pics, for your enjoyment. :) ;)

stoogeswoman 07-23-10 12:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The bike:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=161083

The kickstand:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=161084

The ankle wound:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=161085

(not posting the hip, for obvious reason! lol!)

The Weak Link 07-23-10 01:07 PM

That looks just like my wife's bike.

As I ponder, that looks kinda like my wife's ankle.

Honey, is that you?

stoogeswoman 07-23-10 01:08 PM

That depends - are you rich? :D :D :D

The Weak Link 07-23-10 01:33 PM

No, but I have brutal good looks and my average speed is really high :p

cranky old dude 07-23-10 01:57 PM

Heal quickly. Glad it's nothing too serious.

My first impulse was....good thing you tipped over before you test rode the bike. Being clad in your nighty would have most certainly caused quite a stir, perhaps even causing a few accidents. :innocent:

stoogeswoman 07-23-10 02:04 PM

Hubby just came home for lunch and encouraged me to take a "get back on the horse" type ride. (He's a lifelong biker and VERY supportive of my fledgling efforts!)

So I rode around the block a couple of times - felt great - yay!!

(I did throw on a little more clothing this time around ... ;) )

rck 07-23-10 03:54 PM

Were you wearing a helmet?

BluesDawg 07-23-10 04:34 PM

Tease! I don't see a nightie in those pictures.:innocent:

I hope you heal quickly and get back to riding that nice bike.

t4mv 07-23-10 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by stoogeswoman (Post 11163639)

I spent the morning watching "Pee Wee's Big Adventure"

Therefore the proper course of action would have been to jump up and say "I meant to do that"

dumbass 07-23-10 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by stoogeswoman (Post 11164217)
Hubby just came home for lunch and encouraged me to take a "get back on the horse" type ride. (He's a lifelong biker and VERY supportive of my fledgling efforts!)

So I rode around the block a couple of times - felt great - yay!!

(I did throw on a little more clothing this time around ... ;) )

I'm really sorry for you entanglement and fall. I did something simular early in the year. I had just installed my peddle chain and without relizing it I didn't have it properly installed on the peddle sprocket. When I mount I always put my left foot on the left peddle, push off and throw my right leg over the saddle. OPPIE! Just as my leg cleared the back of the bike the chain jumped allowing the left peddle to fall from a position of 10 O'clock to 6 O'clock instantly. I fell straight down onto the bike. Strangly my chest hit the handle bar and my right leg slammed onto my plastic battery packs. I tore the meniscus in my right knee something I did in my left knee while bowling a few years ago so I knew the pain I was in for. So we all have are bad but not stupid ones. Keep your chin up and get back out there. I am still riding but I am wearing a matching set of knee wrap now. LOL

PS... I also got hit by a car last year driven by a true dumbass. My bike was distroyed and it was only 4 days old. thake goodnedd for American Express. They paid me for a new bike because I had made my bike pruchase using my American Express card. They give you a 90 day no questions asked full refund on anything you buy if you damage it or loose it. this in addition to a free additional 1 tear waranty to anything you but with your card. What a deal !!

stoogeswoman 07-23-10 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 11164787)
Were you wearing a helmet?

I usually don't with my nightie.

ahsposo 07-23-10 05:15 PM

I think we should proclaim her our new President of the Tombay Club!

Do I hear a second?

Retro Grouch 07-23-10 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ahsposo (Post 11165120)
I think we should proclaim her our new President of the Tombay Club!

Do I hear a second?

Oh Yeah! Falling while not even attempting to ride exceeds anything that's been reported till now.

Just as soon as we see pictures that were taken at the time of the incident. And, trust me, pictures of the bicycle don't count. We aren't interested in bicycles.

ahsposo 07-23-10 07:10 PM

By Acclamation we have a new President!

Congratulations stoogeswoman!

Now, how do you propose to put things upright?

You're not going clipless are you?

What if you fail to fall again?

stringbreaker 07-23-10 07:57 PM

Heal quickly and yes ride. I'd say to the nearest dining establishment that has pie.

stoogeswoman 07-24-10 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch (Post 11165572)
Just as soon as we see pictures that were taken at the time of the incident.

Hmm, now that sounds like a challenge - go back in time and take pictures of the incident (which I didn't do the first time around).

Hey - maybe after I do that, I'll go back a little farther and get some better pix of the Kennedy assassination!

Sure, I can do that - I've got nothin' else to do today!

Jiffyjam 07-24-10 09:11 AM

About 14 years ago I was mountain biking with a buddy . We came to a rather steep hill that , when you rode down it, would come back out on the trail we were on ( sort of a "shortcut"). He had always been afraid to try it so I thought I would show off a bit and took off down the hill. My front wheel stuck in a small rut so I couldn't turn and before I knew it I was head over heels in the air and came down HARD on my left shoulder causing a 2nd degree separation. Don't know what made me try that, had little experience with mtn biking. Had to push the bike about 1 mile out of the woods and then on to the hospital driving with one hand etc. ( Now I can always tell you when its gonna rain due to the pain in the shoulder. Old people don't lie about that! )