User Tag List

My Bikes
    Masi, Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydrocele and cycling

Greetings all. About 12 years ago I developed a rather sizable hydrocele. I eventually had it surgically removed (as some may know, there are papers that claim that hydroceles may result from cycling, oh well). Now the question: Using the stationary bike at the gym, my affected testicle will ache badly after riding. My inference is that this is due to rubbing of the scrotum etc etc. Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid such problems? Seat position? Saddle changes? Or should I hang up my cleats for good...

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kahrs: I've got one too. Your post convinced me it is not yet time for surgery. I am 75 years old and just finished 47 miles in the Berkshire Mountains. Today I hit 15 for an average speed for the first time. Am not about to give up cycling yet. My present bike is a Trek 1.1 2010 model. The seat is notorious for being hard and uncomfortable (just read the reviews). Thought I would replace it first thing. Now, after 1000 miles I find I really like it because it seems to minimize the discomfort of an extra large "package". Don't know if that might be an answer (a harder seat with a narrow seatprint). Also, the various lubricants available none of which I have yet tried. Good luck! (to both of us.)

One other advantage of a hard seat is that it forces you to pedal standing more often.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,

I had a hydrocele when I was seven or eight, and I was an active cyclist by then. But I don't remember any problems associated with it after surgery.

However, I do remember getting a jack knife, comic books and other things for being in the hospital. Now days I don't think they'd let a kid have a jack knife in the hospital.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a road bike. Stationary bikes, at least in public spaces, are meant to be "1 size fits all". I would think that getting a comfortable fit would be difficult at best. I could, of course, (perish the thought) be wrong, however, that is how the local Y's are.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one repaired about 35 years ago and it left one testicle higher than the other due to scarring. I twist the saddle slightly to the "high" side and it is much more comfortable. You may want to twist to the non-affected side.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Masi, Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sculptor7: As I've learned, when it comes to surgery "let your pain be your guide" - I was pretty uncomfortable before... I had independently thought of the uncomfortable saddle!

@artkansas: No, they'd pick it up on the x-ray or see it zooming in the MRI

@rck: I own two road bikes but I haven't been riding in many years. I wanted to see if it was worth putting in the money to refurbish them ... But I agree, the saddle is unreasonably wide.

My Bikes
    Masi, Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Metric Man: How does one join Team Poseur? Thanks for the hint -- in my case, I believe it's a problem with the epididymis --- I'm not sure about the scarring. I wonder, does anyone know of urologists who specialize in cyclists???

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kahrs View Post
    @Metric Man: How does one join Team Poseur?
    All you have to do is have a desire...and buy a jersey.

The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

elcraft
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I have had a diagnosed Hydrocele for as long as I can remember. The hydrocele, however, hasn't changed size at all. A couple of doctors suggested that I have surgery to "correct" it, but they described a procedure that sounded more like an "epididym-ectomy" in nature. Since I have no pain or discomfort, and I couldn't see the value in removing otherwise healthy tissue, I've declined their surgical option.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go back and ask your doctor what's going on. I don't think there should be any pain. I've had the problem on both sides at separate times, and other than for short periods after the surgeries were done, there's been no pain or even discomfort...it's like they never happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a spermatocele for 25 years. It used to bother me occasionally, but to be honest, I haven't noticed any discomfort for a long time.
    Last edited by Trsnrtr; 07-27-10 at 02:36 PM.
    Dennis T