User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15 mph Average Speed - A first for Me!

Yesterday I clocked an honest 15 mph average speed on my regular 26 mile ride. A long way from 30 mph peloton speeds but I'll take it because it proves a definite improvement over the past two months.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Remember, it is easier to ride much faster when you've got guys in front of you breaking the wind and setting the pace. Plus those 30 mph peleton speeds can drop off drastically in long, steep climbs. 15 mph average ain't bad at all.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what you have done now of course----- That speed has to be kept up for the next year till you have an excuse to reduce it as you are a year older.

Have to admit that I have to be fit to get that average on a ride. Normally comes at the October Metric when its cold and raining and windy and "Why did I enter this ride as it's always cold and raining and windy so I'll have to put a spurt on to get back to the Dry warm last check-in point where the Pie and Tea is."

Good average for a "Normal" rider.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!
    My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 * * 2007 GT Carbon Series 2, Ultegra - 7/2010 - 2,000 miles, (replaced 'cuz it was too small) * * 1975 Lotus Odyssey - resurrected & ridden 400 miles to "try out" cycling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Even though not all future rides will be that fast, it puts you comfortably in the mix for general group rides.

According to some training books I'm reading (my best is just over 16, so I'm not an authority!), doing full-power short intervals once or twice a week is the best way to increase your speed. And high cadence is supposed to help (I'm a novice, I start to bounce above 104, but I averaged 90 RPM today - it seemed to help).

Good luck hitting 16 in the next month or two!
    2007 Specialized Roubaix, 105 Triple
    Started cycling 6/1/2010 at 64 - lethargy, bad knees, & 247# triggered my foray into cycling
    200# as of 9/9/2012 (mostly from diet, 40# in 5 mo)
    2010 (1st 7 mo) = 4.7K miles (a little nuts), 2011 = 6K

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like the ciocc_cat said it's a lot easier in a big group. Solo is tough.

Tough to fight the wind by yourself.

Tough to motivate yourself.

Tough not to share a great ride.

If I have missed this forgive me:

What is your history with serious riding sculptor? How long have you been at it/back at it. Are you in this for fitness? weight loss?need for speed?

The guys in the road forum think "average speed" is this total fred concept. I disagree. Like you I ride regular routes solo and I am always looking at my average speed and using it to if not improve my performance but to keep me from slacking off and work just a little harder.

I'll play games with myself like resetting my computer after I'm warmed up. I'll ride enough uninterrupted to establish a "new" average and then work to not let that drop. If it does I have to bring it back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobkirk View Post

According to some training books I'm reading (my best is just over 16, so I'm not an authority!), doing full-power short intervals once or twice a week is the best way to increase your speed. And high cadence is supposed to help (I'm a novice, I start to bounce above 104, but I averaged 90 RPM today - it seemed to help).
    Exactly how do your intervals go? I may give it a try myself.

Back to the original poster:

Do you count warm-ups and cool-downs?

What kind of terrain do you ride?

Will Floyd Landis have anything to say about this?

I've broken the 15 MPH average speed barrier a few times (a racer I am not) which includes start to finish and stop lights, before I started Garmin-doping. However, I achieved those mind-boggling speeds by getting behind some diesel and hanging there for dear life.

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer a few questions:
    My background is having ridden a short commute to work for a number of years (6 miles round trip) before I retired 10 years ago then taking up riding again a year ago last spring. The terrain is relatively flat although there are a few hills to make it interesting. In figuring my time there is no warm up or time spent winding down after. I just get on the bike and go. There are a few places where I am forced to slow down because of bad conditions in the road and a few intersections that deserve a little respect but only one traffic light and two or three stop signs.

As to intervals I am not disciplined enough to follow any regime but I do find that if somebody sails by I can't help going all out to try to catch up.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in New England it is hard to avoid hills, what may be a small hill to you may be a mountain to a Floridian. 15MPH average on New England terrain is quite good.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    To answer a few questions:
    As to intervals I am not disciplined enough to follow any regime but I do find that if somebody sails by I can't help going all out to try to catch up.
    Why bother about discipline? Some riders do best with a very specifically planned training routine. I never did. I think one would work against me. Instead, when I am training for some particular reason, I set a sort of bench mark of things I want to get done in any given week. I just do them on the days that I feel like it. So if I feel antsy on one day, I might do a really hard ride or intervals or something. If I feel a bit worn, I just recover. I figured out a long time ago that no one is ever going to pay me to ride my bicycle so I am going to do what I want.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job Sculptor.

I was averaging in the high 14's in January and after 3200 miles this year I'm in the low to mid 16's. About a month ago I started to end my rides with a sprint up the hill on my street...it climbs about 85' in .25 miles, not killer, but I hit it as hard as I can and have seen improvements in all aspects of my rides.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    The guys in the road forum think "average speed" is this total fred concept. I disagree. Like you I ride regular routes solo and I am always looking at my average speed and using it to if not improve my performance but to keep me from slacking off and work just a little harder.
    I ride solo too (club or group rides almost never fit in my schedule these days), so I use average speed as an indicator of improvement. Since I mostly ride the same route on my solo "training rides", this works for me.

As for the "Road Forum" . . . uh, on second thought "no comment".
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great! thanks for sharing. I love it when I gets those occasional training surprises. you never know when they'll come along. good job!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gratz!