User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^Yeah, we could get Denver or Weak Link to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany. Just ordered a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105 to replace my "destroyed" CAAD 10 2.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    After a bit of watching to see what I could learn it was like watching corn grow.
    I've seen this type of comment in several places on BF. What is everyone learning? The only thing I learned this year was how to pronounce some of the names. Still not sure about some of them.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105 on order

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I've seen this type of comment in several places on BF. What is everyone learning? The only thing I learned this year was how to pronounce some of the names. Still not sure about some of them.
    1. Beware of shifting under load, even if it is to a smaller sprocket!

2. All else being equal, the guy with the faster cadence wins.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contador was a winner - maybe not a popular winner, but a winner none the less. He deserved the yellow jersey (he was not my choice however).

Schleck - the young man was grace under fire. What poise and strength. Everyone was rooting for him and in the end he graciously accepted his white jersey - can't wait for you to return next year Andy!

Cavendish - hats off to hom, first of all, for dragging his butt over the big mountains. Remember Cipo in the past would drop out after the first stages. Cav stayed in there and for that, he has my respect. And my gosh the man can sprint! I was moved when he won his first stage and started crying.

Let's hear it for Radioshack and Lance. Lance stayed in the fight. He could have quit but stayed in for the team. I hope they come back ready to fight next year. Wouldn't it be cool if their GC man next year was Schleck???

BTW so sad Tyler Farrar crashed and got injuried. How cute is that guy anyway! Hope he's back next year!
    Last edited by Pamestique; 07-26-10 at 01:16 PM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the "everyone". But, for me as a relative newbie just watching the form things like foot relation to the peddles, posture when standing, variation from person to person, that kind of basic mechanical thing is what I watched to learn about. I watched several of the lead in races here in the States as well for much the same reason. Now that well is pumped dry so I doubt I'll go to it again.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say let's head over for L'Etape next year.

I was going to settle for Ocean Isle Beach, but the Alps sound cooler.

I'm sure my family won't mind.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now a solid Andy Schleck fan- for his talents, determination and grace under pressure, but I feel like Contador in the end won fairly and made up for any disrespect - implied or intentional, many felt he displayed towards the traditions of the Tour. It was fun watching the announcers nearly come to blows as well. Cavendish - Hell, my jaw is still on the floor. I have no words to describe him. A great Tour!
    Faster than a sundial.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was over all pleased with the TDF even if I did lose just a bit of respect for Contadore for disrespecting the tradition when he didn't wait to see if Schleck would get back into the race. It wasn't the disrespect for Andy as much as for the tradition of "racing" for the Yellow Jersey. It was a great victory for contadore but it will always have a bit of a tarnish attached to it. The reaction by the French as Contadore took the jersey after that stage will be replayed for a very long time. But traditions are not rules and so we will more than likely just see the tradition fade from memory.

To me the most amazing rider was Cavendish who seemed to get faster as the race went on. I don't think they need to test him for drugs but they might need to look and see if he is a cyborg.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amazing thing about Cavendish, is that he is so -much- faster than the other guys, who are also hellaciously fast.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it was not Patriotism that made me point out Cavendish as a phenominal Sprinter- Some of you think the same. My only problem is a thought sitting at the back of my Mind--I wonder whats he's on

Hopefully nothing but every time a rider catches my eye on the Pro-Tour- he gets a 2 year drug ban.

But Contadour not waiting for Andy when the chain problem occured- As the time trial proved- Contadour would have won in any case.

Not much caught me this year but the Cobbles In the Flandres region- that was one hard stage and very early in the tour. The hill covered in Diesel that caught many riders out- but no-one gained due to peleton/accident Etiquette.

And I don't know if others thought the same but a lot of Mountain stages this year. To see the back markers struggling up those hills but still at a pace that I would struggle to achieve on the flat is a bit disheartening. And staying on speed, There was one of the camera bikes that showed it's speedometer while following the riders. 100 KPH--probably after a downhill but on the entry into one of the towns with a few curves in the road. Don't mind the 100KPH- but the thought of a manhole cover or stray dog at that speed in a town frightens me.

And if ever any of you get a chance to view the TDF "Live" then take it. It has come to the UK twice and I have been lucky enough in that it was within riding distance of my home on both occasions. No pics from the first occasion- but The spectacle of the day is fantastic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Wilier Mortirolo Veloce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno what others over this side of the pond feel, but I think one of the great things about Le Tour over here is the TV coverage - which has been excellent. The TV commentary team - Phil Ligget, Paul ??? (an ex-pro who's name I can't remember), Chris Boardman and the link man Gary Imlach - are all really knowledgeable (neither patronising the viewer or dumbing down the content), engaging and full of enthusiasm... unlike the usual inane sports commentators these guys actually contributed to a great event (albeit not a classic Tour this year).

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the phrase by one of the commentators, when he said the breakaway group was not going to be able to withstand the press by the "raging peloton" that was closing on them. Raging it was: if my quick conversion from kph was accurate, the peloton was doing 43mph on the flat at that point. Yowza.

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I wonder whats he's on
    Yeah, I am sick of that.

I hope everyone was only on bikes this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...- As the time trial proved- Contadour would have won in any case.
    An interesting thought is that the winning margin, had AC and AS stuck to each other like limpets, and the reversal of ITT start positions notwithstanding, with all finishing times playing out as they did, the winning margin would have been 8 seconds in AC's favor... Hmmm, where have we seen that result before?....

AS did indeed ride an outstanding Tour, and it gives us non-bandwagoners hope that next year's race will be a good one without circus distractions.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only problem is a thought sitting at the back of my Mind--I wonder whats he's on

Hopefully nothing but every time a rider catches my eye on the Pro-Tour- he gets a 2 year drug ban.
    I didn't want to be the first to say it. I may be very naive, but I'm assuming the technology has improved dramatically in detection procedures, so hopefully Cavendish won't have the incessant naysayers that still start screaming "He's a doper!" every time Lance's name is mentioned. I hope he(Cav) has a long, prosperous, and pristine career both for his sake and for cycling.
    Faster than a sundial.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know it is funny, I never thought about "what is he on" about Cavendish. But I did when watching Usain Bolt shatter the 100 meter record.

I now have to wonder about Cav and that is disappointing for me because I have been a fan of his for some time now. It has something to do about the Isle of Man and the TT race there, awesome stuff is that race!

( no way is he on anything, he is just fast!)

I was moved as well when Cav won his first stage and was crying. He gained a little more respect from he and I had it anyway.
    no goals , just ride

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot View Post
    . After the season is over, what else do we use to occupy our time.?
    Say, I know.....we could go ride our bikes.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may have just been the excitement of the early part of the event, but I really enjoyed the early stages, along with the Tourmalet climb of course. My 84-year-old mom loved watching the riders in their colorful "costumes" and the French countryside... and there aren't many things we can watch together.

Great event though the outcome was not ideal!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry. I've been in France and the Netherlands that last two weeks. Was there a race?

I can tell you the reaction of those with which I spoke in Leiden and Amsterdam was markedly different than those I spoke with in Paris. Then again Spain did beat the Netherlands in the World Cup. Folks in the Netherlands were not happy with Contador at all. One local paper reported that, "Contador shows all the signs of turning cycling's long standing honor that comes with sharing the brotherhood of pain extracted by the mountains into an eye gouging free for all one would expect from American wrestling. He shows himself to be an immature rider with little respect for the tradition of cycling. To 'let' Andy Schleck win several days later was an even bigger insult to Schleck."

In Paris, the reaction to which I was privy was that of indifference. One 20 something rider said that perhaps Schleck should have better mechanics on his team. Interestingly, there was much more positive comments about Armstrong than I would have ever expected. Generally, the criticism that he didn't ride for Levi was seen as not fair in that Levi was not in a position to contend. Rather, folks were impressed that he didn't abandon.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lance made a huge mistake last year is saying a strong team would make the difference for Contador. He just hooks on to what ever team is doing well and sucks wheel. There should be a rule that allows a team to headbutt a guy who does this.

Has the chain drop incident changed the "unwritten rules" of the TdF? Maybe next year it is hey you crashed in yellow, so what! Had Lance been lucky enough to have a team wheel guy near when he flatted I think things might have been different. It is going to be interesting to see what happens to Team Radio Shack. I suggest get your team jersey while you can.

I am lobbying for the return of Smiling Bob from Enzite at every TdF commercial break!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you missed those stages where Astana's Navarro led Contador up the big climbs long after Andy Schleck was the lone Saxo-Bank rider left in the group. Marking a rider who needs to put time into you more than you need to put time into him is as much a tradition in racing as is finding fault with everything done by someone you don't like.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    liked the title.... non-spoiler indeed. it was fun while it lasted. rooted for lance. guy has guts. good on him for hanging in there all the way to the end. not many I think would do that and still be in the to 25% of the group. which is still the most elite of the elite out there. I sort of suspect he would ride circles around all of us. as for AC and AS will be an interesting year next year but we say that about the TdF every year. am looking forward to it. oh and thank heavens we don't have to wait 4 years for it to come back to town.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, for one, thought it was (overall) a great race. Three comments.

First, though I'm not a particular fan of Contador, he certainly (in my view) was a fully deserving winner on GC, and is at the moment clearly -- even when not at his best -- the 'best' rider (GC) in the major tours. I held that view at the start, and have seen nothing that would alter it. As to 'Chaingate' -- non-issue, as Armstrong, Hinault, Riis (yes, AS's own manager) and many others have said. The time AC took back on AS as a result (direct or indirect) of the 'incident' was more than offset by time AS didn't lose or gained on AC during stages 2 and 3 in circumstances just as or more questionable re. "traditions of the Tour". If AS can learn to t/t, the gap between him and AC will close right up.

Second, Mark Cavendish: why do the "what's he on?" comments have to start? What evidence of any kind whatsoever is there that leads to these comments? If it's the current 'gap' between him and the rest of today's sprinters, then we'd better start saying the same thing about AC and AS, who are clearly a step above the rest of today's GC riders. He (Cav.) is a small, light rider with (presumably) a genetically-determined overabundance of fast-twitch muscle fibre and a track racing background. Very high peak power output to weight ratio, which he can turn fully 'on' very, very quickly. Plus, he seems to be learning sprint tactics very quickly, witness his ability to win easily even with a weakened lead-out.

Third: yay! Ryder Hesjedal!
    That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I learned this year was how to pronounce some of the names.
    ...or how NOT to pronounce them if you were listening to Phil and Bobke. I mean, they couldn't even make up their minds how to pronounce "Farrar" - even after Tyler's team manager showed 'em.

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I guess you missed those stages where Astana's Navarro led Contador up the big climbs long after Andy Schleck was the lone Saxo-Bank rider left in the group. Marking a rider who needs to put time into you more than you need to put time into him is as much a tradition in racing as is finding fault with everything done by someone you don't like.
    Team Astana decimated the peloton on the climbs and made it a two man race for GC with Contador being able to match Schleck in the mountains and having a track record of beating him in time trials with a margin thus almost assuring a GC victory for Contador. And they controlled the front of the peloton making sure that only certain riders got into breakaways. I was impressed with Astana and Contador. Even though Radio Shack had a great team and won the team competition, I am not sure if any of the RS riders could match Navarro to lead Lance up the climbs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast