Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the reason we hold our breath or mention what someone might be on is simply because so many of the people we watch anymore. Pro sports, college sports, even High School sports. We have secreat deals that will allow someone to race in olympic events as a woman who may or may not be a woman by DNA tests to baseball players coming out after years of denial and confessing to doping.

Lance is tested just about every time he rides and has come up clean yet the question persists even in cycling circles. The question just pops into your head even if someone is just naturally more talented than everyone else. We all hope our favorites are clean but no one is really surprised when they discover another one has failed a test.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched the TdF on my DVR and skipped commercials except for catching an update from the Daily Line. Jenn Sterger is amazing and did a great job discussing sports.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OH YES SHE did.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What did she say?
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe:
    Sorry for the late reply.
    Most memorable TdeF: when Greg LeMond beat Laurent Fignon by seconds in that time trial. A suspenseful tour and some great riding.
    Best all 'round rider by a huge margin was Eddie Merckx . . . he won everything in sight and not just in the Tour de France. He deseved the nickname 'the Cannibal!'
    But then, being Belgian-born, I may be a bit prejudiced!
    Pedal on!
    Rudy/zonatandem

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even when someone else is talking, Jenn Sterger just has that look on her face...

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, but I like my sports reporters a bit more "real".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was rooting for AS to win this year.
    Last year AC beat AS by 4 min 11 secs. This year only by 39 secs (or 8 secs if you discount the 31 sec lead AS had before the chain thing).
    Next year AS will probably beat AC. AC will be riding with another team.
    "Alberto Contador has opted not to extend his contract with Astana. In a statement, Contador’s management team said, “Alberto Contador wants to have time to calmly explore all possibilities available to him to ride during the coming seasons, but so far none has been excluded.”

If you want to see the Vuelta next month on Versus then its time to let the management at Versus know your desires.
    I remember way back in the early 2000s, Versus showed the Giro and the Vuelta, along with some of the other major races. Those were the good old days.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    If you want to see the Vuelta next month on Versus then its time to let the management at Versus know your desires.
    I remember way back in the early 2000s, Versus showed the Giro and the Vuelta, along with some of the other major races. Those were the good old days.
    Yeah, I remember that! There was this one freakish year, 2001?, when OLN broadcast all three grand tours. It was incredible. I'm sure all the fishing and rodeo people were chucking hairballs, but, that was just an amazing year of televised cycling, at least in the USA.

Well, maybe Taylor Phinney or some other young American will come along and revitalize broadcast cycling in the US, but until then, I think it's still going to be the same old TdF every July.

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best moment for me: Schleck looking for weakness in Contador's eyes on Tourmalet, and finding none.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Next year AS will probably beat AC. AC will be riding with another team.
    It should be an interesting competition between Schleck and Contador for the next few years. Andy is improving, but he still needs to get a lot better at time trials if he wants to win the big one. I don't think the team swaps will be such a big factor. If anything, it may favor Contador. Both Scheleck brothers are rumored to be leaving Saxo-Bank to start a new Luxembourg based team. Contador may step into that GC leader spot in his place.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that Universal Sports will carry the Vuelta. At least it did last year. I watched the Giro d'Italia and the Tour of Basque on Universal Sports this year. The video is not HD and the commentary and production are not even close to Versus but....not bad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    It should be an interesting competition between Schleck and Contador for the next few years. Andy is improving, but he still needs to get a lot better at time trials if he wants to win the big one. I don't think the team swaps will be such a big factor. If anything, it may favor Contador. Both Scheleck brothers are rumored to be leaving Saxo-Bank to start a new Luxembourg based team. Contador may step into that GC leader spot in his place.
    I tend to agree. There is the 'Frank Factor', but fair to say I think that Contador's team support -- while much better than many predicted -- was not quite up to Schleck's this year. Also, Contador may not have been 'at his best' in this Tour. If Contador does (as is heavily rumoured) step into the GC spot on Riis' team, bringing with him his Spanish climbing domestiques, the result will be pretty formidable.
    OTOH, the gap between the two (as individuals) has clearly closed up a little, but as said above AS will have to do something about his time trialling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought TT will not happen next year. Is that true? Even if it does, I think AS will be better if he keeps training for it. Oh and gets better at shifting Sram Red. Just sayin................. :-0

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another message board, several of our hill climbers / engineers / physicists have been calculating power to weight for climbs up the Tourmalet. The analysis shows a power to weight ratio of 6 Watts/kg. That is about 10% less than the old number of 6.7 watts/kg that was used as a bogie to win the TdF as a GC. Our conclusion is less or no doping in the tour. For Schleck, Contador and others this means it will be more difficult for AC and AS to gain competitive advantage since one would assume they are both genetically gifted but still made of flesh, blood and bones. We are all oxygen transport limited in some way which is where doping has its greatest impact. IMO, Andy has to put on some more muscle to get his power up for the time trials. It is doubtful that either man will be able to significantly increase their power to weight ratios and gain an advantage in the mountains.

I think the future battles between these guys and their teams will make for great racing and I am sure that there will be others who join them at that level.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony N. View Post
    I thought TT will not happen next year. Is that true? Even if it does, I think AS will be better if he keeps training for it. Oh and gets better at shifting Sram Red. Just sayin................. :-0
    I have heard that there won't be an opening prologue, but not that there won't be an ITT later on. Stage 2 will be a Team Time Trial, so having a strong team will be very important. The course is supposed to feature the Alps next year like this year's did the Pyrenees.

Something tells me Andy's team will be running Dura Ace or Super Record next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    On another message board, several of our hill climbers / engineers / physicists have been calculating power to weight for climbs up the Tourmalet. The analysis shows a power to weight ratio of 6 Watts/kg. That is about 10% less than the old number of 6.7 watts/kg that was used as a bogie to win the TdF as a GC. Our conclusion is less or no doping in the tour. For Schleck, Contador and others this means it will be more difficult for AC and AS to gain competitive advantage since one would assume they are both genetically gifted but still made of flesh, blood and bones. We are all oxygen transport limited in some way which is where doping has its greatest impact. IMO, Andy has to put on some more muscle to get his power up for the time trials. It is doubtful that either man will be able to significantly increase their power to weight ratios and gain an advantage in the mountains.

I think the future battles between these guys and their teams will make for great racing and I am sure that there will be others who join them at that level.
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering how things compared with previous races. Still, the sustained power on climbs was just amazing. I wish they'd do the full NASCAR helmet cam, bio monitoring, power/speed, etc. stats. The technology is there.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They even have the data, at least for some teams, but they didn't use it much. They did provide some watt output now and then. I think they are afraid of geeking out too much and turning off the "mass audience".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123