Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

TdF is over (non spoiler)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 10:28 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I enjoyed the whole thing. I would have rather had a different winner but all in all a good, no great TdF.

I loved the sprints the best......wow what speed these guys have and one in particular, just amazing. I watch the climbers and think how much suffering they must go through. Great stuff.
That is all, carry on.
Old 07-25-10, 10:28 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I enjoyed it and learned much.

Old 07-25-10, 10:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I enjoyed it as always. Lots of excitement, beautiful scenery, amazing performances and a bit of silly controversy. Now I have to transition back to life without the tour. Bring on SEC football!
Old 07-25-10, 10:55 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Me too.

It's funny, you go to the Young Turks Threads (no, that is not an ethnic reference, it is an historical reference, so relax and don't go all self-righteous on us) and you get the impression that unless the cyclists are literally throwing poo-poo at each other it's a boring race.

I thought it was entertaining.

I thought the winner was much the best and will relegate his challenger to Poulidor status for years to come.
Old 07-25-10, 11:07 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
A yellow jersey nail biter for sure.

It was kind of fun watching Phil and Paul get all worked up over whether Contador should have waited while Schleck got his mechanical sorted out.

Looks like that incident might have been the decider unless something incredible happened today. (I went to ride instead of laying on the sofa watching somebody else have all the fun)
Old 07-25-10, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My view on the waiting thing is nobody said to wait when Andy wrecked in the first week. It happened near the end and was very apparent what it meant but things happen all the time and remember it is a race, who ever gets there first wins. I sure did want Andy to win but he didn't . The whole race was exciting for me. I sure would like to see some of the climbs in person.

Cavendish is an animal wow!
Old 07-25-10, 12:39 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I hope Versus will dump Craig Hummer. I'd rather hear commentaries from a "real cyclist".
Nice battle for the green jersey and for 3rd place on the podium.
Nice podium girls after each stage too.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-25-10, 12:56 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/

A great website with several super still photos of each stage. Videos, and blogs by Chris Horner (Team Radio Shack). Chris went from waterboy to a 10th place finish, Oregon should be proud of him.

Cavendish is an animal no doubt about it...

I was really pulling for AS I hope he comes back next year and wins the yellow. Nothing against AC but I just can't get on his train.
Old 07-25-10, 01:02 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
OK. Back to work, everybody. Nothing to look at on Versus except rodeos and greased pig wrestling.

The Head Butting Incident was interesting........turns out that Cavendish didn't need Mr. Head Butt anyway.
Old 07-25-10, 01:22 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I was on vacation this past week and really enoyed watching the TdF live versus the replay versions. I just cannot imagine the fellas having the stamina to do the strenuous racing they do after all those miles and hills. What a tough route this past year. I was pulling for another rider, but Contador was probably the strongest overall. I have not looked back to see how much time Contador lost on his mechanical (broken spoke) in one of the early stages. I'm still trying to figure out how Schleck dropped a chain. I would have thought he would have already have been in the small chain ring but maybe not....
Old 07-25-10, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
My daily rides will be moved to the original time slot of 8 - 11 am. My wife will be happy. She hates the 3 weeks a year that cycling consumes every minute of.
Old 07-25-10, 02:20 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
My daily rides will be moved to the original time slot of 8 - 11 am. My wife will be happy. She hates the 3 weeks a year that cycling consumes every minute of.
Don't worry- Tour of Poland starts monday and the Vuelta starts shortly. So you can really upset the wife.

And if you moan about the commentators- We have one over excitable one that keeps you on the edge of your seat for nothing and Sean Kelly who has about the most boring tone to his voice and is very quiet--But you want facts and reasons why certain events are occuring in the race then Sean is your man.

And it is not Patriotism- The speed that Cavendish has finished the sprints at is phenominal- If only he could get stamina for the hills we might have a decent rider in the big tours.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-25-10, 02:50 PM
'47

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding The Chain Suck incident, a SRAM rep interviewed theorized Andy was in his 38 ring and, to put the hammer down as he attacked while avoiding the slower shift up front, he dropped it into his smallest cog....the extreme angle, perhaps a bit of chain rub, simultaneously hitting a bump, and all that released torque caused the chain to miss. Anyway, the implication was that SRAM stuff doesn't fail-- must have been Andy's extreme shift and other variables.

My neighbor speculates that Alberto spit some gloppy stuff on Andy's jockey wheels just before.
Old 07-25-10, 03:46 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Been following the TdeF since the late 1930s (yes, am THAT old).
Remember when broters Romain and Sylvere Maas each won. Great riders like Coppi, Poulidor, Gaul, Bartali, Merckx, Hinault, LeMond.
Born/raised in Europe, we always got the news of the tour the next day in our newspaper and eventually on the radio.
Finally in the US it started to be covered on TV.
Ligget/Sherwin/Roll are great commentators. When you get more minutes of the same inane commercials than actual coverage, it does becomes very annoying.
Ever since teams are now commercially sponsored rather being regional/national teams it's become very $$$-driven.
Doping is now prevalent; used to see Belgian riders put beer and 2 raw eggs in their bidon (alu water bottles), put a raw steak in their shorts when they had saddle issues; no such thing as team cars and directeurs and soigneurs but riders did carry 2 spare sew-up tires criss-crossed over their shoulders and a real pump!
In the old days when a TdeF winner won, he was lucky to have enough money to open up a local bar; now they become rich/famous/millionaires.
Vive le Tour!
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
Old 07-25-10, 06:05 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Don't worry- Tour of Poland starts monday and the Vuelta starts shortly.
You folks across the pond have better cycling coverage than Americans. Around here football (whatever that is) is king, along with Nascar, golf, and several other "sports". So Versus will be useless until next July.

We may see the reruns of the Vuelta on Universal Sports sometime in September.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-25-10, 06:14 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
You folks across the pond have better cycling coverage than Americans. Around here football (whatever that is) is king, along with Nascar, golf, and several other "sports". So Versus will be useless until next July.(
Blame Henry Ford.
Old 07-25-10, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
It's too bad that so many accidents took out so many of the players! The winner would probably have been the same, but the game would have been very interesting.

I hope Versus learns how to present graphic race information by next year. The get a failing grade this year.
Old 07-25-10, 06:56 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Been following the TdeF since the late 1930s (yes, am THAT old).
Remember when broters Romain and Sylvere Maas each won. Great riders like Coppi, Poulidor, Gaul, Bartali, Merckx, Hinault, LeMond.
Born/raised in Europe, we always got the news of the tour the next day in our newspaper and eventually on the radio.
Finally in the US it started to be covered on TV.
Ligget/Sherwin/Roll are great commentators. When you get more minutes of the same inane commercials than actual coverage, it does becomes very annoying.
Ever since teams are now commercially sponsored rather being regional/national teams it's become very $$$-driven.
Doping is now prevalent; used to see Belgian riders put beer and 2 raw eggs in their bidon (alu water bottles), put a raw steak in their shorts when they had saddle issues; no such thing as team cars and directeurs and soigneurs but riders did carry 2 spare sew-up tires criss-crossed over their shoulders and a real pump!
In the old days when a TdeF winner won, he was lucky to have enough money to open up a local bar; now they become rich/famous/millionaires.
Vive le Tour!
Pedal on!
Rudy/zonatandem
What year was most memorable for you?

Of all the riders you've seen in the tour, who do you think was the best rider?
Old 07-25-10, 10:03 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I enjoyed the TdF this year and watched all the stages. It was unfortunate that Frank Schlek crashed out of the race and Lance lost a lot of time due to crashes and flats but that is racing. Also, Tylar Farrar crashing and injuring his arm hurt the sprint competition. The queen stage was the best, IMO, and climbing the Col de Tourmalet was epic. I would like to do that some time. The HD pictures from Versus were fabulous and I think Phil and Paul do a great job. I met them during the Tour of California at a private party. They are delightful guys who take this sport and their job very seriously.

I am looking forward to the Vuelta a Espaņa 2010 in August.
Old 07-26-10, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to confess that for me the hgh point was the Tour de France yellow T-shirt my wife brought back from Paris. After a bit of watching to see what I could learn it was like watching corn grow. And, once Lance was out the guy at the Starbucks said it best: "We didn't care before Lance and now we don't care again"
Old 07-26-10, 01:27 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... And, once Lance was out the guy at the Starbucks said it best: "We didn't care before Lance and now we don't care again"
Well, I guess that's one reason to celebrate the end of the TdF!
Old 07-26-10, 03:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I liked it when they had the "power meter" graphs on a few riders. It was cool to see what they were putting out.
I do not see why they couldn't do it for all of them, if all of them have one?
Old 07-26-10, 03:53 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Being one who doesn't particularly care for Contador , I pretty much lost interest after Schleck's attack at the Col du Tourmalet .What an attack that was.. Contador looked like he had met his match.... After that it was just headline news for me. But, that attack was a nail bitter. The end of the TDF is a disappointing event. It's the end of the biggest cycling event of the year. Sort of like the end of the World Series for baseball fans. After the season is over, what else do we use to occupy our time.?

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 07-26-10, 06:38 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Being one who doesn't particularly care for Contador , I pretty much lost interest after Schleck's attack at the Col du Tourmalet .What an attack that was.. Contador looked like he had met his match.... After that it was just headline news for me. But, that attack was a nail bitter. The end of the TDF is a disappointing event. It's the end of the biggest cycling event of the year. Sort of like the end of the World Series for baseball fans. After the season is over, what else do we use to occupy our time.?
We could learn to crochet!
Old 07-26-10, 07:37 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
We could all plan a vacation to the Continent. Join up with local riders and experience the same routes. This is not far fetched.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.