Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

gettin cranky

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

gettin cranky

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 08:01 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=BluesDawg;11188612The front rider of a long train of passing riders is not the only one who needs to warn the riders being overtaken. It isn't easy to judge how many riders are coming by if they don't make some noise. Be safe. [/QUOTE]

I have noticed this when riding my MTB at one of the local single tracks near me. Mostly when going the opposite direction and rider will say" I am one of three" or "two more behind me" as we pass. It is a good habit one that I dd not know but now do. I just say 'I'm solo" and keep on keepin on.
Old 07-28-10, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
Sounds like a mirror is in order, or maybe a better one.
did ya miss the part about the mirror and hearing? just curious...

I ride the middle and I need to pay attention to those in front of me. I need to yield when necessary to them. I need to make sure they know I'm there. The people behind me? They are not my responsibility. They need to yield to me and others in front of them. There's no gray area here.

Odd how many bikers constantly complain about cars yet can't seem to extend the most basic of courtesies to other bikers. I'd put money on them driving the same way.

Last edited by sportmac; 07-28-10 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 02:16 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by sportmac

I ride the middle and I need to pay attention to those in front of me. I need to yield when necessary to them. I need to make sure they know I'm there. The people behind me? They are not my responsibility. They need to yield to me and others in front of them. There's no gray area here.

Odd how many bikers constantly complain about cars yet can't seem to extend the most basic of courtesies to other bikers. I'd put money on them driving the same way.
It's interesting that is all boils down to common courtesy-whether it's related to auto's and bikes or bikes and bikes. Heck, if we can't figure out a way to handle bikes and bikes on the roads no wonder there are growing issues with auto's and bikes!!
Old 07-28-10, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting thread. When this kind of thing first started happening to me I thought as a newbie I was somehow violating one of cycling's unwritten rules. Then I realized these folks are jerks.

In the past few weeks cycling here at home and down south in Metro Denver I've had a couple incidents that reinforce the self-absorbed nature of some cyclists. The "On your left" when the person is abeam is too common. Now I no longer jump and almost swerve into the person, scaring us both.

Had a person who almost hit me while passing and ringing a bell. At home we don't use bells. At that moment I hadn't a clue what the bell meant until I remembered, later, that Denver uses a bell to warn people he is about. As I passed him a bit later I yelled "On Your Left" when I was about two bike lengths back and again when nearly abeam. Both time he blithely kept going left and into my path. As I passed I saw he had ear buds in and a dreamy look on his face. Whatever he was listening to must have been really good to distract him so much.

But, rather dwell on the foibles of others I'm going to do my best to realize I screw up too. Hopefully from being a fallable human and not because I think the rest of the world sucks. That keeps my blood pressure down and my attitude not too, too cranky.
Old 07-28-10, 07:44 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by sportmac
Yes I did, my apologies.

The people behind me? They are not my responsibility. They need to yield to me and others in front of them. There's no gray area here.
Since I work urban traffic daily, I need to make everybody in front and behind me my responsibility, that way my chances of getting caught off guard, and being a recipient of a dumb maneuver by others, are low.

I make sure that I give wide berth to other cyclists when passing, not so much on courtesy, but more for allowance of a possible unpredicted movement on their part.
Old 07-28-10, 08:37 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldLog
.... Seriously because they ride doesn't make them nice people. It takes all kinds.
Very good point. If told to "move over" by another rider, I think I would tend to respond fairly aggressively verbally. If they are riding that fast they are likely to be skinny and not good fighters!

I must live in a cycling paradise or something because people are by-and-large very cooperative around here, with the occasional exception of the three females talking to each other. (Our newspapers are, after all, constantly assuring us that Nebraskans are superior to all others in sportsmanship and politeness!)