My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old rider, want to get new bike

Hi all,

New to this forum. I am 50-plus rider looking for a new bike. Riding an '86 Schwinn Cimarron right now, great bike for paths and some road-but it is too big/long (top tube). Now that they make women specific bikes for us petite 5'2" ladies, I am excited to get one. The hard part is figuring out which one to get. I ride on bike paths mostly, a bit of city riding here and there and take to the roads once in a while when the need for speed hits. I have test ridden a Jamis Coda Sport, a Trek 7.5 and am waiting to try a Cannondale Quick 3. It feels great to be on a bike that fits for the first time in my life. The problem I think is that all these bikes have rather narrow tires and I wonder how they will handle the crushed limestone trails. Additionally most of these bikes seem to have been designed for that specific tire size. Are there any good hybrids out there? Any one ride a Specialized Vita?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 50+ forum. I've had success riding on crushed stone trails with 25s. I believe the Cannondale Quick 3 and the Trek 7.5 comes with 32s, and the Coda comes with 28s easily wide enough to deal with crushed limestone trails.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think 32mm tires could handle the trails just fine. You may want to ask the dealers how wide a tire they can put on the bikes you are testing. You may be able to go up to a 35 or 37 if it makes you feel more confident.
    As for which bike to get, go with the one that you like best from the shop that treats you best.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is your height and loves the fit of the Giant women-specific bikes. You might consider the Giant Dash (Dash 2 is the same price range as the Trek 7.5). It comes with tires that are already suitable for the riding conditions you mention, though I would recommend replacing the saddle with a Terry Butterfly (My wife has tried a lot of saddles and loves those the best).

I think you might like the Specialized Vita too...even the stock saddle.

700x28 or 700x32 tires are fine for your riding conditions.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MTG, Have you looked at this?
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik.../10_codaf.html Not sure if you meant the Femme or not.

Brad

My Bikes
    2009 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized Ariel Crosstrail may be of interest to you http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...nuItemId=12188

MTG
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brad,

I rode the shorter men's Coda Sport..the LBS did not have the women's specific. It was a decent ride for the price-but still too long on top for me. Will see if I can find a woman specific one to try.

Michele

MTG
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coach50,

Planning to call LBS today to see if they got one. I just found that same one on web last night. Could be 'the one'.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    Coach50,

Planning to call LBS today to see if they got one. I just found that same one on web last night. Could be 'the one'.

thanks
    I don't think you'll be happy with a suspension fork for the kind of riding you described.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

MTG
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P1020325..jpg And the winner is: the Cannondale Fem Quick 3. Hope to get some miles on her soon.
    Last edited by MTG; 07-27-10 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is 5'1", a casual but longtime rider (she'll train for and ride a century, then take six or eight months off). She found her all-time favorite bike at REI. Nothing special about it to my eyes, but they took time to fit her and make sure she was comfortable. Our local indie shops pretty much blew her off when they found out she didn't want to spend $2000.
    As for tires, you CAN ride gravel etc. trails on 25s, but you'll be much more comfortable and stable on larger tires at lower pressure. One of the things that got my wife interested in cycling (to the extent that she is) was swapping the 23mm tires on her old Bridgestone for 32s. There are a lot of fire roads and doubletrack around here, and she likes to ride there rather than on pavement sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P1020325..jpg And the winner is: the Cannondale Fem Quick 3. Hope to get some miles on her soon.
    If you would share why the Quick over the 7.5? Was it just the fit or something else? Thanks
    Gene

MTG
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genew View Post
    If you would share why the Quick over the 7.5? Was it just the fit or something else? Thanks
    Gene
    genew, Both bikes has a very sweet ride and feel to them, and both fit very well. The tires on the Cannondale 'looked' like they might do better on trail riding..the Trek tires made me feel a bit unsure in loose stuff. So both were comparable, but I would say the Cannondale was a bit smoother overall. And lastly-the paint job on the Cannondale is lovely to look at, even though I swore color was not something I was considering!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks saddle? White garage door photo? You've learned a lot in such a short time.

MTG
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ecrider,

I think when I selected the 'newbie' I thought it meant new to the forum..doh! I have been riding a long time, but have not had a new bike since '86. Lots has changed, and for the better mostly. So new to forum, new to looking at latest bikes etc. BUT, since I am over 50 I have learnt a few things or two...I even worked for a season at a bike shop..(Schwinn) many moons ago. And lastly the white door is great for any pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like good choice. My wife was in a similar position and bought the Quick 4. She didn't plan to ride a lot (and hasn't...) and didn't want to spend more to buy the Quick 3. Her Quick 4 is really nice in terms of fit, ride, etc., but the brakes are terrible - just junk. The rims also have large weld lines. Not good. You were smart to get the one with better components. Enjoy!

PS - We're originally from NE Ohio.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Forums. Have you considered Terry? They make some very nice bikes for women. My LBS sells a good number of them, and the feedback they receive is always positive.

Terry Bikes.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Infinito, Wilier Mortirolo Veloce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funky little bike OP, especially with the Brooks (a matching Brooks saddle bag would be nice). Try some Conti Travel Contacts on it when the Kenda's have worn out - they have a slick centre line and knobbly outers for the rougher paths and tracks. Probably save you some weight too.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ms Georgina Terry has some nice bikes , she has her frames built under contract in the Waterford facility, Now ... in Wisconsin I believe.
    they produce nice Steel frames using very good quality materials .

their Valkyrie Touring bikes use a 35 wide tire, in 26" for the 4 smaller sizes,
    700c for the larger.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 07-30-10 at 01:07 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks one sweet bike but remember that it is going to need a bit of running in. Don't think the riding will trouble you much but all those bearings to run in- the saddle to get adjusted right- the Stem to be flipped and the Clipless pedals to go on.

Then there is your own personal training to get in- Less than two months till the International Pie ride on 18th September. So start practicing now- that will be one hard ride if you have not trained for it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

MTG
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PIE ride?

[QUOTE=stapfam;11203265]That looks one sweet bike but remember that it is going to need a bit of running in.
    What does running in mean?

"the saddle to get adjusted right"- Speaking of saddles- it hurts! Need some tweaking for sure..all different now.

"the Stem to be flipped and the Clipless pedals to go on"..what's the advantage of flipping stem.? closer to saddle? might need to do that too.

"Then there is your own personal training to get in- Less than two months till the International Pie ride on 18th September. So start practicing now- that will be one hard ride if you have not trained for it."

PIE RIDE? yum tell me more. I make a mean elderberry pie.
    Last edited by MTG; 07-30-10 at 05:08 PM. Reason: format

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=mtg;11203854]
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    that looks one sweet bike but remember that it is going to need a bit of running in.
    what does running in mean?

"the saddle to get adjusted right"- speaking of saddles- it hurts! Need some tweaking for sure..all different now.

"the stem to be flipped and the clipless pedals to go on"..what's the advantage of flipping stem.? Closer to saddle? Might need to do that too.

"then there is your own personal training to get in- less than two months till the international pie ride on 18th september. So start practicing now- that will be one hard ride if you have not trained for it."

pie ride? Yum tell me more. I make a mean elderberry pie.
    Running in--Not really required but some parts of the bike will be tight when new- Takes a while for them to loosen up and become free running- Bottom bracket and wheel bearings are the obvious parts but brake blocks to bed into the rims- brake pivots to become smoother.

Saddles and it will take a while for the saddle to wear to your butt- or more for your butt to attune to the saddle- and also the saddle adjustmet can take some time to find the correct position.

Stem to be flipped is a hint to remind you not to go to the Road Forum. If you do- they will get you riding with your head between your knees with the bars 6" below the saddle. Same with Clipless pedals- get them when you are ready and not when everyone tells you to get them

AND the important one--Pie ride.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=Pie+Ride
    Last edited by stapfam; 07-31-10 at 05:21 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PIE RIDE? yum tell me more. I make a mean elderberry pie.
    I'll be the judge of that.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. Time to start thinking about your next bike! n + 1 cannot be denied............
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer