User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode My Age Today (Actually a Bit More)

Finally achieved my second goal for this year. Today I rode 77 miles (2 miles more than I had to). Feels good to have done it but now I plan to do a bit of riding just for the enjoyment alone. Passed a studio of a friend and had thought it would have been nice to drop in but I was "on the clock" so to speak. Guess there is a century in the future somewhere but not this month.

Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really, really nice job! You burned a whole lot of recovery beer calories. Remember to carbo load.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now as far as the century goes - I sure do hope there is one in your future and that again - it is your birthday ride.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic. I think a century could happen really soon. When I rode my age a few weeks ago I didn't ride as many miles as you did. I am a mere youngster at 61 (next mo). I plan to ride a century on my birthday. I still need to get a 80 mile ride in this weekend as preparation. I hope I do as well as you did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sculptor7 -- you may enjoy the Granite State Wheelmen ride in Sept. out of Hampton Beach N.H.
    it goes from Hampton Beach to Nubble Lighthouse and back with a short trip to the
    Newburyport bridge. have done this in the past and enjoyed it

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every year the ride-your-age goal gets tougher. I'm only 59 so my hat's off to you for your accomplishment. I hope I'm still able to do it for a long time to come. You give me confidence. Good job!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. It's a good feeling, ain't it?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's a birthday ride to celebrate.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good On Ya!!!

A good motivator for us "youngsters"

My Bikes
    83 Schwinn Le Tour, 2008 Giant Cypress DX, 2009.5 DownTube 8H, 2011 Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptor7 View Post
    Finally achieved my second goal for this year. Today I rode 77 miles (2 miles more than I had to). Feels good to have done it but now I plan to do a bit of riding just for the enjoyment alone. Passed a studio of a friend and had thought it would have been nice to drop in but I was "on the clock" so to speak. Guess there is a century in the future somewhere but not this month.

High 5 dude! You did real good! I have the same computer, but the big difference are those number. What are some of your other stats? Time? AVS?

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodtoo View Post
    High 5 dude! You did real good! I have the same computer, but the big difference are those number. What are some of your other stats? Time? AVS?
    I was afraid somebody would ask that! Average speed, which in my defense, includes stops in city traffic at rush hour on the way home, quite a few hills on the back roads, quite a warm day and a wind that was not as bad but still a factor: 11.5 mph AVS which came to 6 hours and 40 minutes of pedaling. Made one 20 minute stop for lunch; one 10 minute stop for a cookie and a lemonade and two or three 5 minute breaks en route. Think I could have used a bit more hydration because on one of the steeper hills I began to get cramps in the right thigh. Actually got off the bike and walked it off for a few minutes and was not bothered thereafter. There were also very enjoyable moments of sailing along at 18 to 20 mph on flat sections, a few rather thrilling descents at up to 30 mph. No flats!
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    83 Schwinn Le Tour, 2008 Giant Cypress DX, 2009.5 DownTube 8H, 2011 Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to be afraid, those numbers look good to me and it seems you have 25 years on me. I just ask to see how much of a wimp I maybe. Yesterday I rode 20 miles, AVS 13.1, and TM was 1:31:41. There was wind and hills too. My fastest decent was 28.1 MPH. I don't know were I compare to more serious cyclist. My bicycle is an 1983 mixte style Schwinn le tour. It does need some work, but seems good enough to get the job done. I thought I needed a good road bike to help improve my performance or maybe am I just looking for excuses. In the end it's all about the fun anyway.