Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitting 50, slammed by a body gone wrong

Somehow, I turned 50. And somehow, I got here - after years of working out and cycling - nearly crippled by AS, a form of spinal arthritis.

So, while fighting this battle waged in my body, my bike gathered dust for the last couple of years. Last week, I'd had enough of trying to find a way to return to touring style cycling and admitted that wasn't going to happen. AS patients can't bend over well, and we need to keep our posture erect (hey, if my spine is gonna fuse, I'd like it to fuse in an upright position) - anything else is far too painful for me. So I bought a city bike today - a Pashley - and I feel like a kid all over again. Spinning through the streets, sitting up straight, weaving back and forth just for fun, with the wind in my face ... well, you know. I feel free again.

So, I stopped looking back at what I'd lost and started getting real about my situation and adapting to it. You didn't think I'd give up cycling for good, did you? Nah ...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Pashley? Thats an old style bike for old riders and 50 ain't old- Even if the body feels as though it is.

Getting back and on a bike is probably the best decision you have made for a long time so keep us posted.

And not many Pashleys around -even in the UK so post a pic so we can see one of these quality bikes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant Sedona ST
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May I direct you to a recumbent perhaps?

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If AS stands for ankylosing spondylitis, you really really shouldn't be riding a DF bike (I slept at the Holiday Inn last night). You need to check into any number of styles and variants of recumbents, with the blessing of your physical therapist.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    If AS stands for ankylosing spondylitis, you really really shouldn't be riding a DF bike (I slept at the Holiday Inn last night). You need to check into any number of styles and variants of recumbents, with the blessing of your physical therapist.

Get bent dude - only downside is the long beard you will eventually acquire.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about your condition, but I'm hoping you are able to keep riding one way or another.
    And, welcome to the 50 + crowd.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

A goatee is sufficient, as long as it's mostly grey.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Encouragement for us all, go Jim Dandy Go!!
    Remember, not getting what you want can sometimes be a wonderful stroke of luck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    A goatee is sufficient, as long as it's mostly grey.
    Hey! I resemble those remarks!

But seriously Chapps, look into recumbents.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about AS, but I applaud your attitude. Wishing you all the best.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I know nothing about AS, but I applaud your attitude. Wishing you all the best.
    My sentiments exactly.

And I gotta admit I'm reading the post thinking "This guy needs a 'bent..."
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite ready for recumbants, and my rheumatologist has blessed my getting back on a bike - provided it's an upright and the seat is heavily sprung (you can't do better than the most heavily sprung Brooks saddle). I'm also the most limber of all his advanced AS patients - I can still touch my toes and I'm still very strong. He thinks that all my years of working out have really saved my ass. So let's see how much time I can put in on my Pashley (old-fashioned, maybe, but you can't beat perfection) before I'm forced to consider a recumbant. I still want that gliding feeling, being up high ... you all know what I mean.

And I've already got a goatee and usually a few days' worth of scruff - and it's turning grayer by the day! As they used to say back in the day, 'Keep on truckin'!'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys all forgot to mention the aero-dynamic Buddha belly to go with the beard and 'bent.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapps View Post
    I'm not quite ready for recumbants, and my rheumatologist has blessed my getting back on a bike - provided it's an upright and the seat is heavily sprung (you can't do better than the most heavily sprung Brooks saddle). I'm also the most limber of all his advanced AS patients - I can still touch my toes and I'm still very strong. He thinks that all my years of working out have really saved my ass. So let's see how much time I can put in on my Pashley (old-fashioned, maybe, but you can't beat perfection) before I'm forced to consider a recumbant. I still want that gliding feeling, being up high ... you all know what I mean.

And I've already got a goatee and usually a few days' worth of scruff - and it's turning grayer by the day! As they used to say back in the day, 'Keep on truckin'!'.
    Yeah, but remember, going bent ain't as bad as going broke.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Fun House!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... my rheumatologist has blessed my getting back on a bike - provided it's an upright and the seat is heavily sprung ........... 'Keep on truckin'!'.
    There is your ticket to ride!

Please enjoy the rides, keep us updated, and post ride reports & pictures....we love pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the best clubhouse on the internet.

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Yes, pics of the Pashley! I've never seen one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have my Pashley by Wed or Thurs, and will post some pics. No, I will not have a flowered basket on the front. My friends and hubby are already calling me 'Miss Marple', but the Pashley Roadster Sovereign is pretty masculine looking. It's sort of the bike equivalent of the old black cabs in London (which I'd love to buy).

Until then, here's a pic of the Sovereign, tricked out with a couple of Brooks bags. Sweet. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirkwrites/4278529167/

Nice clubhouse to belong to - the inmates seem like fun.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the madhouse that is 50+!
    Backs are weird, no? I'm 58, and have pretty severe degenerative osteoarthritis in spine, hips, etc etc; along with mild scoliosis -- ugh!
    Oddly, like you, I'm still very flexible -- e.g. can still easily touch palms to floor with unbent knees, but can't sustain a forward-leaning posture very long due to back. So, I (now) ride a flat-bar road bike, on the advice of my sports medicine quack. Works perfectly.
    OTOH, there are other 50+'ers with back issues who find that a forward/stretched position works best, so tend to prefer full-on road bikes.
    Whatever works! Good on ya, welcome again, and keep at it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have my Pashley by Wed or Thurs, and will post some pics. No, I will not have a flowered basket on the front. My friends and hubby are already calling me 'Miss Marple', but the Pashley Roadster Sovereign is pretty masculine looking. It's sort of the bike equivalent of the old black cabs in London (which I'd love to buy).

Until then, here's a pic of the Sovereign, tricked out with a couple of Brooks bags. Sweet. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirkwrites/4278529167/

Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    you guys all forgot to mention the aero-dynamic Buddha belly to go with the beard and 'bent.
    I'm trying to visualize Miss Marple with an Aerobelly and a full beard on a recumbent. It's kind of a strange vision!

It looks like the Pashley will be a lot of fun to ride. Congrats. on the new bike!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Looking forward to seeing pics of the Pashley.

I think a Pashley *should* have a basket in front but -- failing that - at least a bell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chapps,

Ride well!

Jeff, still fat

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 with modified bars, bar end mirrors, rear rack, clamp on forward bar grips, and Brooks B68 saddle.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is one sweet looking bike! -And you look like one happy chick sitting on it!
    -Enjoy!! -Life is meant to ride thru with your head held high!
    Namaste,
    Chazzlee ">**)

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken, aren't you required by law to wear tweed, preferably Harris, when riding one of those?

Craig in Indy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast