Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Riding much in the heat? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/668277-riding-much-heat.html)

Wanderer 08-03-10 08:24 AM

Riding much in the heat?

Many riders tend to shy away from riding when it's hot and humid out.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum - heat usually makes it easier for me to ride. It seems to help relax the joint and arthritic problems

I have a few physical conditions - crushed knee in 1989 that still pains me, and severely limits my range of motion, spondolethesis & spondolosis in my lumbar spine that causes severe nerve pinching and subsequent leg-foot-lower back pain, and a new pinched nerve in my cervical spine that is causing excruciating pain in my shoulder, and severe tingling in my entire arm-along with neck pain and ROM restrictions. And, the accociated arthritic problems one get with old age, and an abused body.

I've been off my bike for about 3 weeks, and just now starting to get some short, easy rides in - hopefully, to get back to normal this month. Right now, I can ride about two miles before the discomfort kicks in - but considering a half mile was my limit late last week, it's an improvement..

Another two wheeler, one of my favorites, my motorcycle, (Goldwing) hasn't moved since I severely dislocated my ankle last fall (I still have quite a bit of swelling and pain), and all the other stuff has kept me off it - getting real close to a year, now. This new pinched nerve in my neck, and associated lower back problems reared it's ugly head, just when I was starting to get my MCY out of mothballs.

I'm starting to wonder if my face plant this spring, and subsequent hard head hit, helped the neck problem gain a foothold, as after that I started to have the shoulder/arm problems, - I gotta remember to ask the doctors about that one.......

I WILL TAKE A TRIP ON MY MCY THIS YEAR, and hope to accomplish that by improving my physical condition with my bicycle.....

I'm not complaining, mind you, just trying to help put things in perspective.

I will get better, at least enough to continue doing the things I love. Ya gotta work at this stuff, though........

The Weak Link 08-03-10 08:43 AM

Just be careful. Heat injuries occur and they can be tragic.

BikeWNC 08-03-10 08:59 AM

I went over the bars two years ago and still have issues with neck and trap spasms. So your face plant this Spring can certainly be a cause of discomfort. There are so many threads about power or technique but seldom do we read or write about flexibility. I think we should all spend as much time as possible stretching or doing yoga to maintain range of motion. I know I'm guilty of not working on it.

Heat. Just say no. I've learned that I'm so miserable in the heat that it is not enjoyable or safe for me. So I avoid it. Luckily I can ride at higher, cooler elevations and still get time on the bike.

BluesDawg 08-03-10 10:23 AM

Sorry to hear about your aches and pains.
I generally have a high tolerance for hot weather, but with the extended heat wave lately I found found it pretty hard to get myself motivated to ride. I think I may have overdone it a few weeks ago with some long rides on very hot days. I got sick for a few days and have ridden very little in the past two weeks. Hopefully I'll start easing back into it soon.

Robert Foster 08-03-10 12:40 PM

I tend to ride early in the day or late in the afternoon when it gets hot. But if it is under 100F I seem to be ok for most rides. After 100 the rides have to be pretty necessary for me to go out.

Artkansas 08-03-10 02:12 PM

I enjoy the heat. But then I've never ridden in temps over 120.

love2pedal.com 08-03-10 05:08 PM

NO

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sel...ages/8/hot.JPG

cyclinfool 08-03-10 05:22 PM

Last Sunday's ride - 50 degrees & low humidity wearing both leg and arm warmers.
Today 82 degrees - rainy and the air is think for my commute home.
Tomorrow may get to 90 but back to the mid 70s by weeks end.
That's why I moved up here. Winters are cold & snowy but I am a skier so it's OK by me.

AzTallRider 08-03-10 05:25 PM

It's 105, and I'm about to head out for the commute home - but it's only 9 miles.

ciocc_cat 08-03-10 05:27 PM

Unless you ride in the early morning or late afternoon, the combination of high heat (108F heat index) and humidity make riding during the day here in south Louisiana a very hot-and thirsty proposition. I went through two water bottles in a little over 10 miles during my last ride and have since relegated myself to the wind trainer (in air conditioning) until it cools off a bit.

George 08-03-10 05:55 PM

I usually ride 6 days a week and when I get home it looks like I got of a swimming pool. If I didn't ride in the heat, I wouldn't be able to ride for 3 months. If I could afford to have 2 homes I think I would go to the Northwest. meaning Washington.

10 Wheels 08-03-10 06:00 PM

I tried to beat The Heat about 2 weeks ago with three back to back 85 mile days.

The Heat won. Had to rest for 6 days.

Now back riding with 4 back to back early morning 55 mile rides.
Start at 6 AM using lights and finishing before 11 AM.

Daspydyr 08-03-10 06:13 PM

I would get a complete physical by the end of next week. With the stuff you describe you might have cracked or pinched something. Don't wait for mid ride complications to ruin a nice hot day.

Las Vegas just set a record for the hottest July on Record. I was glad to hear that. A couple weeks ago I was thinking to myself that I hate riding. Now I can blame it on the heat. It has been taking alot out of me. I'm glad you enjoy it cause it has worn me out.

PaulH 08-03-10 07:16 PM

I find that the morning ride to work at less than 80 F and very high humidity is more demanding then the ride home at 100 and heat indices of about 105. Anyhow, cycling in this heat is much better than walking and standing in it.

Paul

billydonn 08-03-10 07:37 PM

+1 on the "sorry to hear about your aches and pains". I have managed to continue frequent rides in this summer's unusual level of heat but have had to limit the ride duration to 1 1/2 to 2 hours for the most part. (20 rides for 550 miles in July). The heat is just too dangerous for me. I have tried to throw in a little extra intensity on many of these shortish rides.

bykemike 08-03-10 07:45 PM

I've been riding most of this summer in Fl, 3 days a week about 4-5 pm usually 25-30 miles. Really hot, I sweat so much I lose my grip on the bars if I don't wear gloves. Tough but what choice do I have? Not ride? If I drink a lot and often I do pretty well and I'll bet I'll be better for it when it starts cooling down..that would be 90, 90 would be nice.

Mike

DX-MAN 08-03-10 07:50 PM

My summer mileage is off about 70% this year, due mostly to the heat wave; the few times I've gotten out in the heat, the ride itself was no biggie, but the aftermath was vicious!

I intend on making up for some of that when the temps get milder.

Barrettscv 08-03-10 07:50 PM

620 miles in July. most of it in the 80-95f range. I'm prepping for some events and don't like sittin' around in any case.

George 08-03-10 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bykemike (Post 11226935)
I've been riding most of this summer in Fl, 3 days a week about 4-5 pm usually 25-30 miles. Really hot, I sweat so much I lose my grip on the bars if I don't wear gloves. Tough but what choice do I have? Not ride? If I drink a lot and often I do pretty well and I'll bet I'll be better for it when it starts cooling down..that would be 90, 90 would be nice.

Mike

Get some wrist sweat bands, they help a bunch.

kr32 08-04-10 03:52 AM

I don't mind the heat too much. I just make sure I take it easy and hydrate. I on the other hand do not like rain and or cold riding, cold meaning somewhere below 40°, my cutoff for riding and golf.(more or less)

To the OP....I am not sure I could deal with all those aches and pains! Hope it gets better for you. I hurt just thinking about you.wow

OldLog 08-04-10 06:09 AM

The high heat index just takes the joy out of any outdoor activity. This old body has enough age related problems without me subjecting it to heat stress.

Wanderer 08-04-10 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Daspydyr (Post 11226462)
I would get a complete physical by the end of next week. With the stuff you describe you might have cracked or pinched something. Don't wait for mid ride complications to ruin a nice hot day.

Yeah, I've been to so many doctors in the last 6 months, they are starting to call me by my first name --- including the Internist for my annual physical. I saw 4 doctors before him, and he has sent me to two more - so far..... not including two I also see on an annual basis for other problems......

When I saw the Neurologist on Monday, the lady at the front desk asked if I wanted to have lunch with them, in their lunchroom...... LOL

It's hell to get old...... LOL

SSinVegas 08-04-10 09:06 AM

I managed to get 1605 in July, most mid day temps (when I ride) are in the triple digits, but in all honesty, I love the heat... but here where I live, Las Vegas Nevada, dry heat is the norm. We complain about the humidity when it approaches 25%... Rain sends me to the rollers and cold for me is anything less than 45F...I read about others exploits in the rain and cold and realize I'm just not bolted together that way.

gcottay 08-04-10 09:09 AM

The humidity here has been horrible, often exceeding 50%.

BigBlueToe 08-04-10 10:44 AM

I don't mind the heat so much, but I respect the fact that it can be dangerous. I make sure I bring TONS of water, and drink it constantly. If I start to feel cold and shivery, that's a bad sign; I stop riding for awhile. I try and have enough water that I've got enough to spare to get my HeadSwetz bandana wet. Having a cool brain is good. A really nice trick is to fill a Camelbak with ice, then water. The water will stay icy cold for a long time - several hours. It's great!