Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis Treasures

As you might know from my posts here, I recently lost my father. I'm going through the painful task of sorting through his possessions and getting his business in order. I'm sure I'm not alone in this forum having to deal with the loss of a parent.

My wife, Tricia, (MyLilPony on BF) and I had planned a short trip to Crater Lake to camp and ride the rim trail. We'd talked with Father about it just before he passed, and my brother insisted we needed to to go, so we decided to go ahead with our plans.

A day before we left, when we were headed over to work on Dad's condo my when Tricia asked "Did you check under your dad's bed?"

I hadn't. When I did I found a small box labeled "Curtis Treasures"

Inside were a few small objects from my childhood, including a top, some beads, a peace symbol, and a few other items. Among them, my early 1960s Boy Scout camping silverware.

We took them on our trip and used them every day.

Thanks Dad.

In an odd coincidence, my sweet wife had packed away her darn-near-matching girl scout version of the same kit, which she dug out and took long as well.

Here's my short blog entry, with a couple of photos, on our Crater Lake ride.

http://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2010/08/...ater-lake.html

Last edited by cccorlew; 08-05-10 at 09:07 AM.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great Curtis! My wife and I are heading up to Crater Lake as part of the Oregon Bike Ride next week. The ride to (and around) Crater Lake is an option on the "rest day" but of couse we won't rest if it means passing up the opportunity to ride around Crater Lake.

The altitude shouldn't bother us since we spend a lot of time at our cabin on Big Bear lake at 6,700 feet and often climb to Onyx Summit at 8,440 feet. The mosquitos though, that's a challenge I haven't faced for awhile!

Hope to see you on the White Mountain or Knoxville double!

Rick / OCRR

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick. You will love Crater Lake. I promise!
    I'm all signed up for Knoxville. Say "Hi" as you blow past me.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Thanks Rick. You will love Crater Lake. I promise!
    I'm all signed up for Knoxville. Say "Hi" as you blow past me.
    My current plan is to ride the Knoxville workers ride the week before, then I have to work Interbike through Friday; then drive from Las Vegas to Vacaville ASAP after the show closes and we get the booth packed up.

Haven't gotten an okay back from Scott Halverson for that schedule, but that's the plan at the moment. So hopefully I'll see you at an afternoon or evening checkpoint!

Rick / OCRR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touching story. You never know what life will bring you or how it will arrive.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your a lucky man, on several levels.
    Enjoy the Ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine the items your dad had stowed away in that box are keys that unlock your special treasures, your memories. I hope you can continue to share your treasures with your family and friends.

It looks like you had a great trip, thanks for the touching story and pictures.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandfather passed 35 years ago, and when my father was going through his stuff, one of the things that he found was an envelope, which contained a fountain pen and pencil, well used, but in very good condition. My name was written on the outside of the envelope, and my dad gave it to me. The thing that makes this so strange is that my grandfather never learned to read and write.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Curtis, you went right by my house on the way to crater lake. We live somewhat near Blue Lake, and I occasionally ride that Blue Lake loop you went on. Great blog, thanks.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool! My wife and I did much of the clean out of my parents condo when they passed away in the summer of 2001. I was amazed at all the trinkets from our past they held on to. Going through their stuff gives you a clearer picture of what was important to them. You definately know where your dad's priorities were and that is a priceless going away present from him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cccorlew, why do I think you had a big lump in your throat and dust in your eyes when you found and opened that box. You need to make one for each of your younglings.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is such a touching story and the photo of the cutlery is suitable for framing.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing! I can relate on several levels. My family spent the night at the lodge on a west coast trip a few years ago. Crater Lake inthe early am was remarkable.
    Ride your Ride!!