Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saved by a Flat

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Saved by a Flat

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Saved by a Flat

Yesterday, I went out in the garage to do a ride, and my rear tire was flat. So, since I had to fix the flat anyway, I thought I would remove my commuter fenders as I will not be commuting to school for three weeks or so, and while I was at that thought I would go ahead and do a clean-up, degreasing, lube, and tune. When I looked at the rear rim, I noticed a 3-inch crack in the rim and a bit of a hole surronding one niple hole and annother smaller crack near on other hole. Oddly, the rim was still pretty true. anyway, I figure that the rim was near catistrosic failure, so the flat may have saved me. Off I went to the bike shop, a rim, 32 spokes, some handlbar tape rim tape and an innnertube richer, as well as $95 lighter in the wallet, I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
Old 08-07-10, 04:57 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sort of like - err . . . . riding a bicycle

Glad you found the problem. My last rim crack was found while riding, but I was close to the LBS.
Old 08-08-10, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
. . . . I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
Would you like some assistance finding a winter place in in beautiful southern Arizona?
Old 08-08-10, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
You make it sound so easy. Did you have a shop or something?

Last edited by TromboneAl; 08-08-10 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 05:13 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Indeed - I want to learn how to build a wheel, I know it should be easy but as with most things - I have not had the time.
Old 08-08-10, 05:15 PM

I worked in a shop for a few years, and during that time I was pretty wellknow egionally as a very good wheel builder. In reality it was and is pretty easy to build wheels, paience is what is needed mostly.

BTW, My wifes great Aunt lives in Green valley, we have visited and I do really like it there. Auntie just had her 92 birthday, seems like Green Vally AZ has a pretty health climate.
Old 08-09-10, 01:54 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
... I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
So, did you build the wheel with the crack in the rim? Maybe it was over-tensioned and that is why it only lasted 42 years.
Old 08-09-10, 08:23 AM

No That one did not last 42 years, It was a wheel that came on a bike I bought in 1999, It was spoked pretty tight bu not that bad. At 225 pounds I feel like I need a pretty highly tensioned wheel. It was a Mavic CP21 rim, fairly lightweight rim I believe, 32 spoke, no spoke hole reinforments.

Last edited by howsteepisit; 08-09-10 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Change mistype 432 to 42 - a wheel lasting 432 years would be impressive -