Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: New old rider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New old rider

55+ (OK, more like 60+) female rider whose last bike was a Schwinn Suburban and wants to keep up with the Grandkids. Don't want a big fat bike with bell and basket. 5'2" 125 lbs - what are you ladies riding and how are they working for you????

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a lady----But best suggestion is to find a Good Local Bike shop (LBS)

They can sometimes take some finding but you will know when you find it. They will listen to what you want- suggest several types and models and ensure you get the right size that fits.

And if you want to keep up with the Grand Kids- Get the best and lightest racing bike you can afford- Those 2 to 12 year olds are Fast
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not recomending any particular bike myself as I feel bike choice is very personal and varies from individual to individual. Heck, half of the time I'm not sure which bike I feel like riding myself!

I just wanted to welcome you to the 50+ area.

Please keep us posted on your shopping progress and be sure to post pictures of your new ride once you get it.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am genetically unqualified to answer your question as you framed it so let me just say

"Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2010 Raleigh One Way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might look into hybrids for a start. Although most manufactuers have a hybrid line, you need to find out what your local bike shop sells so you can get support in the future. Here are a couple of suggestions to get your search started:

Trek FX series - more performance oriented, but I love my 7.5 and hubby loves his 7.3 as well
    Trek 7000 series - kind of a comfort/performance combo with wider tires and seat/front fork suspension
    Specialized Ariel series - this hybrid has a definite mountain bike heritage, but still a contender with 700 x 45 tires it is pretty comfortable and has front suspension fork.
    Specialized Vita series - like the Trek Fx, this is more performance oriented

These are just a couple of the brands available, but since Trek and Specialized are pretty big, you should be able to find these in your area. These would be a good starting point to see what you like and don't like. Here is where a good bike shop comes in. They can take your impressions based on this starting point and make more suggestions of other bikes you might consider. Most important get a bike that fits you well and you will enjoy riding it even more. Enjoy your search. By the way, I'm 58 with a Trek 7.5FX.

P2

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to .....

whatever this place is.

If you don't want drop bars that have you leaning over look at a few flat bar road bikes. They're about as fast as a regular road bike and allow you to sit more upright.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer your question as I am gender unqualified. However, I will quietly and sneakily tell you that my wife rides a "hybrid" - a Trek 7300. I can also tell you that she wishes she could ride a "road bike" but she tried one for 600 miles and it never felt stable to her. I will also tell you that she did not learn to ride until in her 60's and she will be 73 in November. Shhh. Don;t tell anyone I stepped out of my gender definition here.

And welcome.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you going to use it for? If it's just low speed putting around with children, (you didn't specify the ages of your grandkids), then anything will work, with emphasis on comfort.
    If you're going on the road with other adult riders and are interested in performance, a road bike will work best. If you want to climb hills and go fast, go for the lightest bike you can afford.
    For general riding around, a hardtail mountain bike will work if you prefer to sit upright. They have low gears, offer comfort, and can go anywhere.
    Maybe some of the ladies will respond, too.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lymobear!
    I ride a Trek 1.5 Women Specific Design road bike and I love it. I'm 54. As most others have said, you'll need to try different bikes to find the one that suits you best. Good Luck!

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 50+ arena. I'm also the wrong gender to answer your question, but I'll go with visiting a good local bike shop.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of warning.

You may want to invest in a stick to beat off the more aggressive members of the male sub-species. Though most of us are able to hide it rather well outside the confines of the home, we tend to find female cyclists of all ages highly attractive.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    RANS Cruz, Fuji Saratoga 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi! Glad you are going to start riding! I'd suggest a trip to a bike shop and look over the different styles and try out a few. Find something that you feel comfortable riding and think you will enjoy. There are a lot of choices out there now: hybrids (several styles), cruisers, mountain bikes, road bikes, recumbents, and more!

Have fun shopping and test riding.....
    The bike for you is the one you will ride!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are lots of nice people here, particularly when it comes to techie issues. BUT, you may find good support from the bikers at http://www.teamestrogen.com

The title should give it away. It's a much smaller forum, but they're really helpful (too).

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Trek FX series. Good in between type of bike. Not a beach cruiser and not a full out racing bike.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My .02 .. modern Folding bikes work well, go fast enough,

... and don't need an addition on the house to have a place to park them
    out of the way.

or a bike rack on the car to take them out to start a ride the countryside
    Last edited by fietsbob; 08-10-10 at 07:50 PM.

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dear wife (who is a former "outlaw" road racer) would tell you to find a local bike shop you're comfortable with, tell them what you'd like to do with your bike, and then test ride multiple bikes.

Welcome to the forum!
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Endowed with two X chromosomes, but nothing brilliant to add except that folding bikes can be a ton of fun. I own a Dahon MU P8 in addition to my hybrid. I agree with test riding a bunch to find the one you feel the most comfortable on.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 5' 1" and ride a Cannondale Synapse WSD. I love, love my bike. I have over 14,000 miles on it and want to ride it forever. I tried many bikes before I bought Orange Crush. I knew after riding the bike for about a half hour that it was the right one for me. The fit is just so good. Do not settle for a bike, whether a road bike, hybrid, or whatever, until you have this feeling. You will know.