Thread: Pointless Rant.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pointless Rant.

First, I've been looking forward to trying spinning class again this morning. I haven't attended this particular class for 6 or 8 months. It now has a new instructor who didn't even make eye contact with me, much less say "hello" as she checked the tightness of my handlebar adjustment. About 10 minutes into the class she amped up the music so loud that I bailed. I've never done that before.

So I came home and checked my email. Guess what? The Friday morning group that I enjoy riding with had planned a Saturday morning ride. Unfortunately it was too early and too far away for Mrs. Grouch and me to make it. It would have been a perfect outing for the Screamer.

That's 2 disappointments and it's not even 9:00 yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've got two very valid reasons to go out for a bike ride.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is entitled to a pointless rant now and then. I was going to make one about those brainless wonders who ride at night without lights, but A&S has it covered.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't "get" spin classes in a climate and roads conducive to year-round outdoor cycling.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the first half of your rant to the manager of the club. Take the second half as motivation to do something on your own.
    However - a good rant is therapeutic now and then - and you are amongst friends.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch out---The best things come in 3's.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spin classes are an offense to reason and wisdom.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooo. I love pointless rants. Tell me more.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super loud music in public places is one of my pet peeves... I would have left too.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Casseroll, 1997 Bianchi Advantage, 1994 Trek 930.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I don't "get" spin classes in a climate and roads conducive to year-round outdoor cycling.
    I can think of a few. You can take a class in the evening whereas you might not feel comfortable riding at night. No problems dealing with traffic. No risk of mechanical problems leaving you stranded miles from home. If you have little ones, you can drop them off in babysitting. Because spinning bikes are fixed gear, they are a good training tool because coasting is not allowed. You can practice standing and climbing more safely on a spinning bike than on a real hill.

And, riding to music can be fun if you like the music and the instructor.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spinning classes in the winter and the "Competitive" spirit of the class will improve you. Not the first class as that does hurt- but after about 6 lessons- they take effect. That is about time to stop them as you will be able to get an evening ride in on the bike.

Spike Milligan

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, a stupid question to go with your pointless rant: Why do the instructors for these spin classes (Usually young females) always seem to feel that pounding hip hop music, or whatever it is, is necessary?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    Okay, a stupid question to go with your pointless rant: Why do the instructors for these spin classes (Usually young females) always seem to feel that pounding hip hop music, or whatever it is, is necessary?
    Why is pointless, loud music, making conversation impossible, the standard in almost all restaurants and other public places now!

I went into a Philly's sandwich place (they aren't very good, I found out) with 5 other "seniors" and asked them to turn the darn stuff down, as we could not have a conversation. Fortunately, they did. But the food was lousy!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    It's not the "Hip Hop" music that is necessary- but it is the beat and the Cadence that is required. Problem is that the instructors are a different Generation to us and they listen to a Different style of Music. I had one instructor that used "Queen" and "Status Quo" as the music. Great Music but just not quite fast enough for a sprint in a Spinning Class.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Super loud music in public places is one of my pet peeves... I would have left too.
    +1

I always bypass those clothing stores in the mall with loud music playing. I know it might appeal to the younger crowd but this grandparent wanting to buy for the grandkids will find a "quiet" store!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    It's not the "Hip Hop" music that is necessary- but it is the beat and the Cadence that is required. Problem is that the instructors are a different Generation to us and they listen to a Different style of Music. I had one instructor that used "Queen" and "Status Quo" as the music. Great Music but just not quite fast enough for a sprint in a Spinning Class.
    Right. Just consider it an opportunity to keep up with what the younger generation is listening to.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Why is pointless, loud music, making conversation impossible, the standard in almost all restaurants and other public places now!
    1) Most restaurants are run by people younger than us, who grew up on loud music
    2) Some of those same folks are already 1/2 deaf from the boom boxes they've had in their cars for 20 years, so it has to be loud for them to hear it
    3) Stupid people are always with us
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    In spite of MRT2's very reasonable response, I agree. There's nothing like the real thing baby! I would a thousand times rather ride outside even in freezing, snowy weather and you can bring whatever music you prefer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without music, life would be a mistake."
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I had one instructor that used "Queen".
    A couple of years I had an instructor (male) ask me for some music preferences. I suggested "Fat Bottom Girls" but he wimped out.

The female instructors, on the other hand, don't seem to have any issues with playing some tunes that are pretty insulting toward men. I've even had one instructor who repeatedly apologized to me but she kept playing them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much do spin classes cost?
    Knowing me, if I wanted to take up indoor spinning, I'd probably take that money and buy a bicycle powered generator, and put some of that energy towards powering something around the house(maybe the house stereo system with the music at my preferred volume level and taste ).

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind contemporary "music" (I suppose hip-hop qualifies), but I can't handle it when its played at an eardrum-shattering decibel level. The thing that unimpressed me during my brief exposure to spin classes was how (apparently) inexperienced the instructor was when it came to cycling. She looked mid-to-late 30s and was in great shape, but when I used the term "cadence" she gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. From further discussion I got the feeling her experience was all in the gym and not on the road. Plus the gym's stationary bike didn't feel like a real bike. I've since stuck to riding my Ciocc on my old Racer-Mate windtrainer accompanied by my own eclectic music mix (John Tesch "Tour de France" theme music with some Motley Crue and Billy Idol tossed in).
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc_cat View Post
    I don't mind contemporary "music" (I suppose hip-hop qualifies), but I can't handle it when its played at an eardrum-shattering decibel level. The thing that unimpressed me during my brief exposure to spin classes was how (apparently) inexperienced the instructor was when it came to cycling. She looked mid-to-late 30s and was in great shape, but when I used the term "cadence" she gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. From further discussion I got the feeling her experience was all in the gym and not on the road. Plus the gym's stationary bike didn't feel like a real bike. I've since stuck to riding my Ciocc on my old Racer-Mate windtrainer accompanied by my own eclectic music mix (John Tesch "Tour de France" theme music with some Motley Crue and Billy Idol tossed in).
    That is mildly surprising. At my gym, spinning classes often include cadence checks throughout the ride to make sure you are spinning at the right cadence.

RE: spinning bikes and how they feel. IMO spinning bikes feel pretty close to riding a real bike. The spinning bikes our gym uses are infinitely adjustable and I find I can pretty much replicate the riding positions of my actual bikes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    In spite of MRT2's very reasonable response, I agree. There's nothing like the real thing baby! I would a thousand times rather ride outside even in freezing, snowy weather and you can bring whatever music you prefer.
    Freezing, snowy weather isn't the problem in my neck of the woods - its the steambath climate in the summer (108F+ heat index with humidity you can swim in). I much prefer the road to the wind trainer, but that relegates me to early morning rides this time of year. The wind trainer is great for after work since I can ride in airconditioning and don't have to worry about run-ins with tired, distracted drivers trying to rush home from work.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
    That is mildly surprising. At my gym, spinning classes often include cadence checks throughout the ride to make sure you are spinning at the right cadence.

RE: spinning bikes and how they feel. IMO spinning bikes feel pretty close to riding a real bike. The spinning bikes our gym uses are infinitely adjustable and I find I can pretty much replicate the riding positions of my actual bikes.
    I suppose my experience may have been atypical. In fairness to the instructor, she understood the importance of keeping "spin" up (it was the term cadence that threw her). From our discussion she seemed to know a lot about spin bikes but not the real thing. As I said before, her experience was all in the gym with no time spent on the road. Perhaps that doesn't matter in a spin class, but it bothered me.

For me, Ciocc + windtrainer = good workout - gym fees

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread reminds me of my upbringing. I was raised Catholic. Catholic means "universal". I went to parochial schools. Parochial means "narrowly restricted in scope". What's up with that?

I guess that bicycling's the same way. Bike riders say they're willing to embrace everybody but if you deviate any little bit from the established norm you'd better have a thick skin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast