Thread: Omg

My Bikes
    Specialized Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg

While I pretty much hate that phrase, sometimes it fits.

I raised my saddle this morning. A lot. A whole lot. I have been reading about raising saddle and proper height, and I suspected mine was too low, but....just did not "just do it." With the adjustment, heaven on earth!!!!

This morning waiting on my wife (Uhmm) I raised and rode, raised and rode, and raised and road till I got it right...Over 3 inches. Wow, I am not in as bad a shape as I had thought. Everything is SO MUCH EASIER. Especially the knees!!

I have been back in the saddle, for only two 1/2 weeks, but we went 15.4 today at 11 mph. That is 25% more than I have been yet, and except for an aching butt, I think I could have done 30. EZ.

If you have not checked your saddle, or if you relied on the LBS to get it right, Check it, TODAY. There is no comparison when you get it right. Now, off to the bike shop to drool over an FX.

jcinnb
    58+
    wrong side of 300 (but getting closer)

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep on pluggin' away, concentrate on the engine ... keep learning what works n' what doesn't ... and keep riding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same same...

Yep, only raised it about 1.5" here, but it was amazing how much strain it seemed to take off of my knees.

It's amazing how long it took to actually make the change! I guess you just get stuck with a certain set up & don't want to change it. Sure did help my knees.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rule of thumb ( or butt) - go up until you start to rock the pelvis at high cadence, then go down a bit.
    For some this works, others need to find their own way.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddle height is important- so is foreand aft position and slope of the saddle.

So now you have found out how a correctly set up saddle is- Why are you thinking of an FX? Stay on the bike you have and save a bit (Lots) more and get the Pinarrelo that most of us dream of
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threads like this restore my faith in humanity.

It had been waning for awhile.

Trash the concept of average speed for a year or two. Just a recommendation.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcinnb View Post
    While I pretty much hate that phrase, sometimes it fits.

I raised my saddle this morning. A lot. A whole lot. I have been reading about raising saddle and proper height, and I suspected mine was too low, but....just did not "just do it." With the adjustment, heaven on earth!!!!

This morning waiting on my wife (Uhmm) I raised and rode, raised and rode, and raised and road till I got it right...Over 3 inches. Wow, I am not in as bad a shape as I had thought. Everything is SO MUCH EASIER. Especially the knees!!

I have been back in the saddle, for only two 1/2 weeks, but we went 15.4 today at 11 mph. That is 25% more than I have been yet, and except for an aching butt, I think I could have done 30. EZ.

If you have not checked your saddle, or if you relied on the LBS to get it right, Check it, TODAY. There is no comparison when you get it right. Now, off to the bike shop to drool over an FX.

jcinnb
    58+
    wrong side of 300 (but getting closer)
    Three inches is a HUGE saddle adjustment! If you were that far off, no wonder you were having difficulties. Keep riding my friend!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Three inches is a HUGE saddle adjustment! If you were that far off, no wonder you were having difficulties. Keep riding my friend!
    I was thinking this when I read the OPthread as well....3 inches! Like the thread OMG! That is huge! I moved mine a 1/4 inch Sunday but put it back after 20 miles.
    no goals , just ride

My Bikes
    Felt F55X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. Congrats on getting it right - it makes a world of difference and now that you are dialed in you should see continuous improvements!

Cheers
    \Gene