Thread: Saved by a Flat

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saved by a Flat

Yesterday, I went out in the garage to do a ride, and my rear tire was flat. So, since I had to fix the flat anyway, I thought I would remove my commuter fenders as I will not be commuting to school for three weeks or so, and while I was at that thought I would go ahead and do a clean-up, degreasing, lube, and tune. When I looked at the rear rim, I noticed a 3-inch crack in the rim and a bit of a hole surronding one niple hole and annother smaller crack near on other hole. Oddly, the rim was still pretty true. anyway, I figure that the rim was near catistrosic failure, so the flat may have saved me. Off I went to the bike shop, a rim, 32 spokes, some handlbar tape rim tape and an innnertube richer, as well as $95 lighter in the wallet, I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of like - err . . . . riding a bicycle

Glad you found the problem. My last rim crack was found while riding, but I was close to the LBS.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    . . . . I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
    Would you like some assistance finding a winter place in in beautiful southern Arizona?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
    You make it sound so easy. Did you have a shop or something?
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 08-08-10 at 04:34 PM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed - I want to learn how to build a wheel, I know it should be easy but as with most things - I have not had the time.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked in a shop for a few years, and during that time I was pretty wellknow egionally as a very good wheel builder. In reality it was and is pretty easy to build wheels, paience is what is needed mostly.

BTW, My wifes great Aunt lives in Green valley, we have visited and I do really like it there. Auntie just had her 92 birthday, seems like Green Vally AZ has a pretty health climate.

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    ... I learned that I can still rebuild a damn fine wheel in less than an hour. Rode 40 mile on the new whell today, true and round after the ride as it was before the ride. Lat time I built a wheel was in 1978...I am pleased and proud that thats one skill that has not left me.
    So, did you build the wheel with the crack in the rim? Maybe it was over-tensioned and that is why it only lasted 42 years.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No That one did not last 42 years, It was a wheel that came on a bike I bought in 1999, It was spoked pretty tight bu not that bad. At 225 pounds I feel like I need a pretty highly tensioned wheel. It was a Mavic CP21 rim, fairly lightweight rim I believe, 32 spoke, no spoke hole reinforments.
    Last edited by howsteepisit; 08-09-10 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Change mistype 432 to 42 - a wheel lasting 432 years would be impressive -

"Toes"