Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A very "touchy" subject for 50+'rs (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/669653-very-touchy-subject-50-rs.html)

DnvrFox 08-07-10 05:33 PM

A very "touchy" subject for 50+'rs
 
Chamois Butter, Cream, Udder cream - Balm - whatever -

Use it or not?

Why?

I don't, and have never ever had a "saddle sore" in over 12 years of riding, including centuries and Ride the Rockies and about 150 miles per week right now. But, I refuse to tell you my secret, as it would cause an EXPLOSION on this forum.

So??

RoMad 08-07-10 05:39 PM

I'm not telling if your not.

So there

DnvrFox 08-07-10 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoMad (Post 11250776)
I'm not telling if your not.

So there

But I DID tell you. I don't use the greasy kid stuff.

and you?

big john 08-07-10 05:53 PM

In almost 30 years of riding the only time I have used anything on the chamois was during multi-day tours.

Fang66 08-07-10 05:56 PM

I don't use it on my back bottom I use it on my front bottom, but then I'm usually too tired to ride after that.

Robert Foster 08-07-10 06:21 PM

The stuff is made for a reason and there are several different brands so more than a few people are using them. I use Bag Balm because it works for me and it lasts all day if you need it to. It is also less expensive than most of the others. The kind of riding I do causes me to sweat quite a bit and the salt from the sweat has been known to cause a rash in places I would rather not have a rash. I have taken a few rides without cycling shorts or Bibs with Chomois and as long as it is a slow and cool day I don't notice much need. I have been in several 40 mile rides that were more or less one long pace line and then I have found I am more comfortable with the Bag Balm. I know it has water or sweat resisting properties because it is still working when I take my after ride shower.

RoMad 08-07-10 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 11250783)
But I DID tell you. I don't use the greasy kid stuff.

and you?

Okay, I give.

I don't use anything either. I have never had a problem in that area (pun intended). I have some samples that I got on a ride that I have been thinking about trying when I do my first century as a precaution.

billydonn 08-07-10 07:09 PM

Chamois Butter user here... it may not be necessary but why take chances?

howsteepisit 08-07-10 07:09 PM

Oh I hate to say it, but a well worn Brooks seems to keep the saddle sores away. No Balm, No Butt'r, no nuthin. SOmetimes cycling sorts, sometimes not. Lordy, I have become one of those people - Brooks, Brooks, Brooks,.

RonH 08-07-10 07:37 PM

Never used any of that stuff. Never needed it and hope I never will.

LAriverRat 08-07-10 08:01 PM

I don't use anything but was going to look into something to put on the developing sensitive area. Three days ago while out on a ride i pick up a rider who ask to stay on my wheel for a while ( was i really going that fast?), so i say sure. After a while he pulls up along side of me and tells me i riding to far forward, like in a time trial position. I think what do i know, it feels OK why should i change?. We get to the water stop at the foot of Santa Fe Dam and he starts explaining to me what adjustments i might make to ride better. He explains the i need to be further back with my weight to make better turns, better angle to the cranks for more power and speed and endurance. He goes on to say this will help in climbing as well and tells me how to do hill climbs, spin and about over training. All this by moving my saddle back 1/2 inch.
So when i get home i move it back the 1/2 inch and its like a new bike, a new me, where did i get all this power?
The most important part is now the "Boys" are in a better position, and no chaffing at all, no soreness, nothing like it was before my moving the saddle back the 1/2 inch. Can't believe i am not sore at all after two rides. If this keeps up i will not need any thing at all. Steven is 49 and been in racing since his early 20's, is sponsored and can go very fast. I can't believe my good fortune to have met this rider. His Father in law had a stroke some time back and is 70 and just sits around. He is recovered from the stroke and Steven ask me if i might start riding with him to get him moving. I said sure, no problem so Steven is putting together a bike for him and off we go! Maybe two more members for BF and the 50 and over crowd.

chasmm 08-07-10 08:03 PM

I used to use chamois cream back when we rode in shorts that had REAL chamois. That was more for the chamois's benefit than mine. I haven't used it since I returned to riding this past winter.

Knock wood, I haven't developed a need for it...

Charles

The Weak Link 08-07-10 08:05 PM

Either Chamois Buttr or Vaseline.

Bag Balm is also good but my wife hides the tin.

doctor j 08-07-10 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 11250749)
But, I refuse to tell you my secret, as it would cause an EXPLOSION on this forum.

You sprinkle black powder in your shorts?!:eek:

I'm all natural; no additives. Just shorts and the saddle.

DnvrFox 08-07-10 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAriverRat (Post 11251314)
I don't use anything but was going to look into something to put on the developing sensitive area. Three days ago while out on a ride i pick up a rider who ask to stay on my wheel for a while ( was i really going that fast?), so i say sure. After a while he pulls up along side of me and tells me i riding to far forward, like in a time trial position. I think what do i know, it feels OK why should i change?. We get to the water stop at the foot of Santa Fe Dam and he starts explaining to me what adjustments i might make to ride better. He explains the i need to be further back with my weight to make better turns, better angle to the cranks for more power and speed and endurance. He goes on to say this will help in climbing as well and tells me how to do hill climbs, spin and about over training. All this by moving my saddle back 1/2 inch.
So when i get home i move it back the 1/2 inch and its like a new bike, a new me, where did i get all this power?
The most important part is now the "Boys" are in a better position, and no chaffing at all, no soreness, nothing like it was before my moving the saddle back the 1/2 inch. Can't believe i am not sore at all after two rides. If this keeps up i will not need any thing at all. Steven is 49 and been in racing since his early 20's, is sponsored and can go very fast. I can't believe my good fortune to have met this rider. His Father in law had a stroke some time back and is 70 and just sits around. He is recovered from the stroke and Steven ask me if i might start riding with him to get him moving. I said sure, no problem so Steven is putting together a bike for him and off we go! Maybe two more members for BF and the 50 and over crowd.

Have him check out the 65+ thread, or contact some of us 70'rs.

BluesDawg 08-07-10 09:14 PM

I guess we are all different. I find that I don't need anything on shorter rides and even on longer rides during the winter, but when the heat and humidity start climbing, the salty sweat starts rubbing me wrong even with my perfect saddle and good shorts or bibs. Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chamois Butt'r or Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Cream all work well to prevent the hot weather rawness.

Laserman 08-07-10 10:02 PM

In hot sweaty weather Vaseline or if there is pre-existing chafing an OTC antibacterial ointment.

Louis 08-07-10 10:15 PM

I use Bag Balm. I apply it directly to the spot(s) on the skin that need it, never put it on the chamois (although it does soak into the chamois eventually).

The smell reminds me of my childhood growing up in the country.

Robert Foster 08-07-10 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsteepisit (Post 11251096)
Oh I hate to say it, but a well worn Brooks seems to keep the saddle sores away. No Balm, No Butt'r, no nuthin. SOmetimes cycling sorts, sometimes not. Lordy, I have become one of those people - Brooks, Brooks, Brooks,.

I went fishing once and didn't get any bites either.:lol:

stapfam 08-08-10 12:13 AM

Never used anything other than when on one of my 12 hour offroad rides. Had a problem that day- well I had for a few weeks before and decided to try chamois butter. Had no pain till about the 8 hour mark and decided to use it. It had no effect so Didn't bother again.

kr32 08-08-10 04:04 AM

ASSOS cream. I used to get sore on a certain area down there but no longer after using ASSOS.
Hey it works for me and that's all the matters. Sort of like Brylcream " a little dab will do you"

cyclinfool 08-08-10 05:05 AM

I have been experimenting with a roll on lubricant for about a year - I see no benefit yet and will not buy more.

Saltybeagle 08-08-10 05:26 AM

bent rider

cranky old dude 08-08-10 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltybeagle (Post 11252420)
bent rider

ouch

ahsposo 08-08-10 06:38 AM

Geez, no.

I already have enough pre-ride rituals.

I only once had any problems and I'm sure that had everything to do with a pair of gel bibs that were disposed of after the incident.

And like somebody else noted if I start rubbing creamy stuff all around down there I might never get out of the gate...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.