Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very "touchy" subject for 50+'rs

Chamois Butter, Cream, Udder cream - Balm - whatever -

Use it or not?

Why?

I don't, and have never ever had a "saddle sore" in over 12 years of riding, including centuries and Ride the Rockies and about 150 miles per week right now. But, I refuse to tell you my secret, as it would cause an EXPLOSION on this forum.

So??
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not telling if your not.

So there

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    I'm not telling if your not.

So there
    But I DID tell you. I don't use the greasy kid stuff.

and you?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In almost 30 years of riding the only time I have used anything on the chamois was during multi-day tours.

My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD8 Ultegra, Katakura Silk Single Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use it on my back bottom I use it on my front bottom, but then I'm usually too tired to ride after that.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff is made for a reason and there are several different brands so more than a few people are using them. I use Bag Balm because it works for me and it lasts all day if you need it to. It is also less expensive than most of the others. The kind of riding I do causes me to sweat quite a bit and the salt from the sweat has been known to cause a rash in places I would rather not have a rash. I have taken a few rides without cycling shorts or Bibs with Chomois and as long as it is a slow and cool day I don't notice much need. I have been in several 40 mile rides that were more or less one long pace line and then I have found I am more comfortable with the Bag Balm. I know it has water or sweat resisting properties because it is still working when I take my after ride shower.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    But I DID tell you. I don't use the greasy kid stuff.

and you?
    Okay, I give.

I don't use anything either. I have never had a problem in that area (pun intended). I have some samples that I got on a ride that I have been thinking about trying when I do my first century as a precaution.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chamois Butter user here... it may not be necessary but why take chances?

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I hate to say it, but a well worn Brooks seems to keep the saddle sores away. No Balm, No Butt'r, no nuthin. SOmetimes cycling sorts, sometimes not. Lordy, I have become one of those people - Brooks, Brooks, Brooks,.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never used any of that stuff. Never needed it and hope I never will.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use anything but was going to look into something to put on the developing sensitive area. Three days ago while out on a ride i pick up a rider who ask to stay on my wheel for a while ( was i really going that fast?), so i say sure. After a while he pulls up along side of me and tells me i riding to far forward, like in a time trial position. I think what do i know, it feels OK why should i change?. We get to the water stop at the foot of Santa Fe Dam and he starts explaining to me what adjustments i might make to ride better. He explains the i need to be further back with my weight to make better turns, better angle to the cranks for more power and speed and endurance. He goes on to say this will help in climbing as well and tells me how to do hill climbs, spin and about over training. All this by moving my saddle back 1/2 inch.
    So when i get home i move it back the 1/2 inch and its like a new bike, a new me, where did i get all this power?
    The most important part is now the "Boys" are in a better position, and no chaffing at all, no soreness, nothing like it was before my moving the saddle back the 1/2 inch. Can't believe i am not sore at all after two rides. If this keeps up i will not need any thing at all. Steven is 49 and been in racing since his early 20's, is sponsored and can go very fast. I can't believe my good fortune to have met this rider. His Father in law had a stroke some time back and is 70 and just sits around. He is recovered from the stroke and Steven ask me if i might start riding with him to get him moving. I said sure, no problem so Steven is putting together a bike for him and off we go! Maybe two more members for BF and the 50 and over crowd.

My Bikes
    '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use chamois cream back when we rode in shorts that had REAL chamois. That was more for the chamois's benefit than mine. I haven't used it since I returned to riding this past winter.

Knock wood, I haven't developed a need for it...

Charles

Make a donation or just check out my blog. Every little bit counts!
    http://main.diabetes.org/goto/charlesmmorgan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either Chamois Buttr or Vaseline.

Bag Balm is also good but my wife hides the tin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    But, I refuse to tell you my secret, as it would cause an EXPLOSION on this forum.
    You sprinkle black powder in your shorts?!

I'm all natural; no additives. Just shorts and the saddle.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAriverRat View Post
    I don't use anything but was going to look into something to put on the developing sensitive area. Three days ago while out on a ride i pick up a rider who ask to stay on my wheel for a while ( was i really going that fast?), so i say sure. After a while he pulls up along side of me and tells me i riding to far forward, like in a time trial position. I think what do i know, it feels OK why should i change?. We get to the water stop at the foot of Santa Fe Dam and he starts explaining to me what adjustments i might make to ride better. He explains the i need to be further back with my weight to make better turns, better angle to the cranks for more power and speed and endurance. He goes on to say this will help in climbing as well and tells me how to do hill climbs, spin and about over training. All this by moving my saddle back 1/2 inch.
    So when i get home i move it back the 1/2 inch and its like a new bike, a new me, where did i get all this power?
    The most important part is now the "Boys" are in a better position, and no chaffing at all, no soreness, nothing like it was before my moving the saddle back the 1/2 inch. Can't believe i am not sore at all after two rides. If this keeps up i will not need any thing at all. Steven is 49 and been in racing since his early 20's, is sponsored and can go very fast. I can't believe my good fortune to have met this rider. His Father in law had a stroke some time back and is 70 and just sits around. He is recovered from the stroke and Steven ask me if i might start riding with him to get him moving. I said sure, no problem so Steven is putting together a bike for him and off we go! Maybe two more members for BF and the 50 and over crowd.
    Have him check out the 65+ thread, or contact some of us 70'rs.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we are all different. I find that I don't need anything on shorter rides and even on longer rides during the winter, but when the heat and humidity start climbing, the salty sweat starts rubbing me wrong even with my perfect saddle and good shorts or bibs. Vaseline, Bag Balm, Chamois Butt'r or Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Cream all work well to prevent the hot weather rawness.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    09 Giant Cypress DX, 89 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In hot sweaty weather Vaseline or if there is pre-existing chafing an OTC antibacterial ointment.
    Set phasers to butt-whup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Bag Balm. I apply it directly to the spot(s) on the skin that need it, never put it on the chamois (although it does soak into the chamois eventually).

The smell reminds me of my childhood growing up in the country.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Oh I hate to say it, but a well worn Brooks seems to keep the saddle sores away. No Balm, No Butt'r, no nuthin. SOmetimes cycling sorts, sometimes not. Lordy, I have become one of those people - Brooks, Brooks, Brooks,.
    I went fishing once and didn't get any bites either.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never used anything other than when on one of my 12 hour offroad rides. Had a problem that day- well I had for a few weeks before and decided to try chamois butter. Had no pain till about the 8 hour mark and decided to use it. It had no effect so Didn't bother again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASSOS cream. I used to get sore on a certain area down there but no longer after using ASSOS.
    Hey it works for me and that's all the matters. Sort of like Brylcream " a little dab will do you"
    no goals , just ride

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been experimenting with a roll on lubricant for about a year - I see no benefit yet and will not buy more.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Cannondale H300, Tommasini Velocista, Jamis Xenith Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bent rider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltybeagle View Post
    bent rider
    ouch

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Geez, no.

I already have enough pre-ride rituals.

I only once had any problems and I'm sure that had everything to do with a pair of gel bibs that were disposed of after the incident.

And like somebody else noted if I start rubbing creamy stuff all around down there I might never get out of the gate...
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast