Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iBike with iPhone?

Apple may be readying an iPhone bicycle integration system. Something with multiple sensors placed on the bike, communicating to the iPhone and to other nearby bikes.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/a...e-integration/

Any 50+'ers interested?

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, if it is a G-4 the signal wouldn't work near another device anyway. Ok I got that from Leno.

I don't see how in the world they can have a HUD without a windshield or sunglass interface.

But who would have thought we would have all the electronic gear we already have? And Knowing AT&T the monthly charge for the service to your Iphone wouild be expensive.

Still it makes for good reading.
    Last edited by Robert Foster; 08-07-10 at 11:03 PM.

My Bikes
    '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was there something in there to give it a longer battery life? If not, no thanks. My cell phone is my emergency link on some rides when I'm riding solo. I'd hate for it to be dead from use as a cyclometer...

Charles

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

I made a reply back to George a few months back with tongue in cheek about taking the new Android platform and using it for all the functionality in the cycling GPS systems, it has all the same sensors plus the phone & web capability. I could imagine a power tap connection as well. Within a short range the Bluetooth connectivity will work between bikes but all I could figure there is that might be useful if you were riding with a coach and they were monitoring your performance real time or a ride leader loading the way points into participants units at the start of the ride.

Now is all this for me - not yet. I see the benefit in measuring power but I am more interested in waiting until the sensors are less intrusive. I like the idea of riding with a GPS but my old Garmin doesn't do any navigating, it just collects data so you can pull it out later (Forerunner). I have not seen enough of a need to move up yet.

Do I see this kind of capability in my future - probably, but the design would need to be much better and the life cycle costs would need to be much more in line with the value I would get out of it.

Although my professional life is spent working with stuff that is still 5+ years in front of market introduction, in my personal life I am a very slow adopter of new technology, I need to be convinced it provides me with real value before I jump in.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Apple may be readying an iPhone bicycle integration system. Something with multiple sensors placed on the bike, communicating to the iPhone and to other nearby bikes.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/06/a...e-integration/

Any 50+'ers interested?
    No thank you. I'm trying to retreat from techno-wizardry as much as possible. My brain is tired from trying to remember how to keep it all calibrated.

I already dread the annual changes from Daylight Savings Time and back again. Even with the owners manuals in hand I always seem to struggle just to get the clocks set in the cars.

The bike computers are even worse! I've got Avocet 30's and Avocet 15's and Cateye Strada'a and a few I can't remember right now. I have to keep a web folder with operating manuals for each brand and model and live in dire fear of battery change time. I'm currently in the process of creating an Excel Spreadsheet to track the calibration setting for each of my bikes, though I must admit I'm kinda dragging my feet a bit.

The T.V. set-up...Oh Lordy...With the T.V., the electric antenna, the VCR (yeh, it still works), the surround sound DVD player and the WII system all wired together I would have lost my mind if my daughter hadn't wired it all up for us. Those Aerospace Mech. Engineers are pretty handy sometimes. She even, at my insistance, left us with written instructions how to operate it all.

You guessed correctly, I'm also one of those few people left on this planet who only uses a cell phone for phone calls. I just can't get interested in all the other goodies that are packed into that little devise. We don't even text, don't pay for texting either.

Though I'm sure a lot of you smart people could have a lot of fun with a devise such as an iPhone bicycle integration system, it's not for me.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 08-08-10 at 06:58 AM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I'm ready for kool aid as an energy drink.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think my life is more complicated than I like now. I keep adding stuff and it leads to another headache. That's just me though. Thanks for the link anyhow Tom.
    George

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I can generally figure out much technical stuff, the problem comes in my translating it to my wife, who can't.

This weekend it has been how to scan old photos, enlarge, print, and also email that file to someone else. If there is some way to screwup the steps, she will figure it out, requiring me to back track the whole process to see where and what went wrong.

Drives me a bit nuts.

Plus, I just got a new DVD burner, not realizing that it would only handle DVD R+'s not DVD R-'s, requiring me to figure out a whole new dimension of copying a DVD, and buying some corresponding DVD+ discs.

I think I am technologically overwhelmed at the moment. What happened to those odometers and speedometers that attached to a cable that went on to a cog on the front wheel? Those I could understand.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-08-10 at 02:06 PM.

My Bikes
    1983 Pinarello Treviso ,2008 Specialized Tarmac, 1984 Ciocc, De Rosa 1982, Fuji Absolute 2.0 touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started riding my new bike so I haven't had time to install the wireless Strada from my previous bike. It occured to me a few rides ago how little I miss the Strada or, for that matter, any type of computer on my bike. From now on I am going bike computer free, I don't really care how far I have ridden or what my average speed was.
    You may be thinking I'll put it back on sooner than later but I'm thinking, No. The strada goes on e-bay this week.

Mike
    "ready to navigate"

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I'd be hip to that one or not...I like my Garmin and it's ease of download capability. As to battery life mentioned in an earlier post my new iPhone 4 runs all day on a charge using wi-fi and 3g internet a great deal.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm.... interesting response from the 50+ forum.

I already have this setup. iPhone/SMHeartlink/GSC10/HRM. all talking together and even uploads to the web when I am done with the ride. Guess I _am_ a geek.

iPhone seems to run forever. Since the new Digifit device came out it really is surprising how long it runs. did a 62 mile ride not long ago with it and had hours of phone battery left. YMMV.

http://www.digifit.me/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying to focus on the ride these days. To that end, I've removed my Garmin 305 and am enjoying riding for riding more than I have for years. About two weeks ago my wife commented, "You seem to be enjoying your rides more these days." When I asked what made her say that she replied: "Usually when I ask how the ride was you'll tell me how many miles and your average speed. Recently, you've been commenting on what you saw, where you went, and how you felt."
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that the OP was tongue in cheek, but FWIW, I have BiCycle on my IPhone. It's ok for a 1.5 hour training ride, but will kill the battery if the ride is much longer. What's more, on occasion it can frustratingly turn itself off mid-ride.

On the plus side, it can be made to automatically email stats and detailed track info at the end of the ride.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas View Post
    I know that the OP was tongue in cheek, but FWIW, I have BiCycle on my IPhone. It's ok for a 1.5 hour training ride, but will kill the battery if the ride is much longer. What's more, on occasion it can frustratingly turn itself off mid-ride.

On the plus side, it can be made to automatically email stats and detailed track info at the end of the ride.
    I used BiCycle a couple of times and found out that it was turning off when I got a text or email notification. But it did alright considering the price.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Shogun Ninja, Santana tandem (in storage)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it is raining outside, will I be able to phone in my 50mile ride?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As regards battery life, simply make bikes out of solar cell materials - much like they do with roofing materials - and you have an automatic recharger, plus, maybe you could put a bit of an electric assist on the rear axle. Guess if you live in the NW, where the sun is a stranger, it might not work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but no thanks. I had enough technology foisted upon me when I was working to last the rest of my life. After retiring in 1994, my inner Luddite finally got a chance to surface.

I'm amazed at how electronically inept I have become. Thank god.