Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Three days off the bike....no end in sight!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Wow!

I feel like I got hit by a truck!

I took Thursday off from the bike as a rest day and went antiqueing with the bride instead. We had a great day and the only financial outlay was for gasoline.

Friday was to be a long ride of 60+ miles but I woke up at 07:00 a.m. with absolutely no ambition what so ever. I just chalked it up to my body's normal negative reaction to the recent heat wave, rolled over and went back to sleep.

I crawled out of bed late in the morning and chose to finish sanding the old finish off of a piece of furniture that I'm sprucing up for my daughter. I would have prefered to have been cycling but I did promise her I'ld have it finished in time for Fall Semester. That's when it started. I noticed that my left shoulder blade was sore when ever I bent down to pick anything up from the garage floor. Then my lower left back started getting sore. (I'm right handed by the way)

I finished sanding about 05:00 p.m. and welcomed a nice hot shower not only to wash off the dust but hopefully to loosen my back and shoulder a bit. It didn't work out that way. We had planned on eating out Friday evening but I was a hurting puppy. I cancelled out, took some ibuprofin and crawled into bed instead. I tossed about in bed from 06:00 last night until 03:00 this morning in pain. No comfortable position could be found.

I did decide not to bike into work this morning and drove the pickup instead. Some of the nicest cycling weather of the Summer is slipping by and my beat up old body is in no condition to take advantage of it. I'm bummed, to say the least.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis here as I imagine I've just pulled some muscles somehow, though I'll probably never figure out exactly how or when I did it.

I'm just venting my frustration at having a garage full of bikes, sunny skies, beautiful temperatures, low humidity, and I can't ride!!
Old 08-07-10, 07:03 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bummer

I hurt so much I can't even walk. But, I can ride my bike without pain. Maybe we should join bodies?
Old 08-07-10, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I hear you, Cranky.

It doesn't take very much bending over or stooping to make my lower back SCREAM! Fortunately for me, however, it usually stops as soon as I stop doing those things. That's why I built the portable bench for working on my recumbents.

I certainly hope that your pain subsides quickly.
Old 08-07-10, 12:37 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lenny - get some help if it lasts more than a day or two, you are in too good a shape for this to be "normal".
Old 08-08-10, 06:04 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Lenny - get some help if it lasts more than a day or two, you are in too good a shape for this to be "normal".
Update: Back pain is down to an annoying ache. Shoulder isn't quite as bad. Got close to three hours of sleep last night. Hope to ride on Monday!
Old 08-08-10, 06:42 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I've been off the bike for 2 days, this heat has really got me down. I have to be off the bike tomorrow again, to take my wife to the doctor. She pulled a nerve in her back as well. Ain't getting old fun.
Old 08-08-10, 08:23 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Sometimes you just have to give the body a rest. Since I'm not retired yet, I'll generally use my days off from work as time off from the bike, in order to give my body some much needed recovery time.
Old 08-08-10, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
In Zen there is a saying, "Eat when hungry, rest when tired." The principle works for most things, including cycling. When it's really hot, like it is here in Billings at this time of year, I don't fight the heat. Either I cycle in the moring first thing, or just put cycling out of my mind until the temperature is agreeable. I don't worry about it. Cycle when ready, don't when not.
Old 08-08-10, 02:19 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I look at it this way: I ride my bike because it's fun. If the thought of riding the bike doesn't sound like fun, it's time to take a day off. I've been pretty terrible about riding this summer with the heat and all, but I don't beat myself up about it. Much.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-08-10, 03:03 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I look at it this way: I ride my bike because it's fun. If the thought of riding the bike doesn't sound like fun, it's time to take a day off. I've been pretty terrible about riding this summer with the heat and all, but I don't beat myself up about it. Much.
I feel no guilt about not riding (if that's what you mean)...I miss riding. It's only been since Wednesday but I miss riding my bike big time!!

If it wasn't for this crappy back of mine I'ld have just been merrily pedaling along instead of belly-aching on this site about not riding.

I miss you bike!!!
Old 08-09-10, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same mistake here. Thought chasing the grandkids around for 10 days would make up for riding. When I got back on the bike I had to check the calender to see if it was March! Two weeks later I am almost feeling back to where I was.