Thread: N+1 again??

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 again??

I thought my road, touring and mountain bikes covered all my needs for riding but....... On recent rides we've been joined by a few people on recumbent trikes and I'm beginning to see the fun in owning one

The two brands they bring to the rides are Catrike and Trice. I've set on the Trice and was surprised how easy it was to get in-and-out of it. The owner has offered to let me borrow it but I haven't taken her up on the offer....yet. She owns the same bike hauler I have and is able to fit it inside so hauling one wouldn't be a problem for me.

My LBS doesn't sell recumbents but I want to talk to them about providing maintenance and other services if I purchase one at another location. The dealer who carries this brand is about 60 miles down the road and I don't want to drive that far for minor repairs or routine maintenance.

I'm not looking for speed in a recumbent. I'm not looking to give up the other bikes. I plan to use it for "social rides" on the miles of paved trails in my area. I also saw several of the recumbent trikes on GOBA this year and was surprised to see them climbing those hills.....slow but steady It would be nice to stop on a hill to rest my left leg and not have to worry about falling over or restarting on the hill.

Anyone have information on these two brands or maybe another one you can recommend? I'm not looking for a two-wheeler, just a light-weight trike.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Riding my bike
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR C2 / Bianchi "beater"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should bring this up. I have absolutely no interest in a two-wheeled recumbent, but I can't help eyeing high end recumbent trikes.

Not ready to stop riding my DF bikes either, but if that point ever happens, I know I'll move to the trike. So logical, you can stop & restart whenever you want (especially on hills).

Beverly, have you had a chance to look at Greenspeed trikes yet? I have two LBS nearby (one stocking Catrike the other Greenspeed) and I may just go for a test ride or two.

I have no real info to add at this point except that I'm interested in this thread as well and am looking forward to hearing anyone's experiences.

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I thought my road, touring and mountain bikes covered all my needs for riding but....... On recent rides we've been joined by a few people on recumbent trikes and I'm beginning to see the fun in owning one

The two brands they bring to the rides are Catrike and Trice. I've set on the Trice and was surprised how easy it was to get in-and-out of it. The owner has offered to let me borrow it but I haven't taken her up on the offer....yet. She owns the same bike hauler I have and is able to fit it inside so hauling one wouldn't be a problem for me.

My LBS doesn't sell recumbents but I want to talk to them about providing maintenance and other services if I purchase one at another location. The dealer who carries this brand is about 60 miles down the road and I don't want to drive that far for minor repairs or routine maintenance.

I'm not looking for speed in a recumbent. I'm not looking to give up the other bikes. I plan to use it for "social rides" on the miles of paved trails in my area. I also saw several of the recumbent trikes on GOBA this year and was surprised to see them climbing those hills.....slow but steady It would be nice to stop on a hill to rest my left leg and not have to worry about falling over or restarting on the hill.

Anyone have information on these two brands or maybe another one you can recommend? I'm not looking for a two-wheeler, just a light-weight trike.
    Beverly -

You were at the Finger Lakes ride in June, right? Did you get a chance to see my tandem trike? People were trying it out on Saturday evening. It's a Greenspeed. I have a page on it.

You're right, it's not fast. But it has extremely low gearing (7 inches) so you can go up a hill as slow as you want without worrying about falling over.

Also, it's a conversation starter.

Most of the components are similar to DF components. There are some unusual pieces: the Schlumpf mountain drive, the SRAM dual drive, and the front hubs are not usually found on a DF and I suppose could present problems for your LBS mechanic.

I mostly ride my DF, but ride the trike every now and then, just for fun!

- Ed

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought my road, touring and mountain bikes covered all my needs for riding but.......
    I thought you were going to tell us you got a CX bike and were going to give CX racing a try.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Brooks saddle- No high riser stem and I bet it not White.

At least there are some saving graces to it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, 60 miles from Englewood? Sounds like it might be Fairfield Cyclery. We bought my Sun EZ-Tad and my wife's QNT there - of course, it's a lot easier living in Cincinnati and going there than living in the Metro Dayton area. I'd buy from them again, if we ever need or want to replace our trikes.
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly, you've seen the Finger Lakes area during June Monsoon. You really ought to visit the area in early October (August & September are alright too)!

And of course while you're down there you can visit one of the largest recumbent dealers in the Northeast, http://www.bicycleman.com/ .
    He has both brands you mentioned listed on his website, plus several others.

He has more assembled recumbents ready for test riding than you can shake a stick at. He's available by phone and if he knows you're coming he'll be sure to have the bikes you're interested in ready to roll.

I've never been there without seeing vehicles with out of state plates. There's afforable lodging nearby. He's well worth the drive.

You might want to consider at least shopping at The Bicycleman. You could bring along some friends, visit Pete at The Bicycleman in Alfred and enjoy some very scenic test riding.

(I have no conection to this shop at all, but I have purchased two of my recumbents from there)
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 08-10-10 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Edited for content presentation

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This too shall pass Beverly!! Seriously I think anything that continues to get you out enjoying riding is positive.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by groth View Post
    Beverly -

You were at the Finger Lakes ride in June, right? Did you get a chance to see my tandem trike? People were trying it out on Saturday evening. It's a Greenspeed. I have a page on it.

You're right, it's not fast. But it has extremely low gearing (7 inches) so you can go up a hill as slow as you want without worrying about falling over.

- Ed
    Yes, I saw the tandem trike and loved it

We have a couple in the area who have one and they ride several of the week-long tours on it. It's a Greenspeed, too.

I've heard nothing but good things about the brand.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I thought you were going to tell us you got a CX bike and were going to give CX racing a try.
    No CX bike - I'm still trying to master the mountain bike I've been taking it to a nearby state park and riding their trails. It's not too technical but there are plenty of tree roots, narrow passages through the trees and a couple creek crossings. So far I've been able to stay on the bike
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdmjr View Post
    Hmm, 60 miles from Englewood? Sounds like it might be Fairfield Cyclery. We bought my Sun EZ-Tad and my wife's QNT there - of course, it's a lot easier living in Cincinnati and going there than living in the Metro Dayton area. I'd buy from them again, if we ever need or want to replace our trikes.
    - Bob
    Thanks, Bob. That's exactly the dealer I'm going to visit. They seem to carry several brands including the Greenspeed mentioned by Ed.

I'm just trying to find the time to get down there.....lots of biking and yard work is keeping me busy.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Beverly, you've seen the Finger Lakes area during June Monsoon. You really ought to visit the area in early October (August & September are alright too)!

And of course while you're down there you can visit one of the largest recumbent dealers in the Northeast, http://www.bicycleman.com/ .
    He has both brands you mentioned listed on his website, plus several others.
    Yep, I've experienced first-hand the monsoons On the drive home we didn't see sunshine until we hit the Buckeye state again.

I would love another trip to the area but in September "Ma and the boys" are going to ride the Allegheny Passage from DC to Pittsburgh and in October we're going to take Louis up on his offer to ride the Cuyahoga Towpath.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've experienced first-hand the monsoons On the drive home we didn't see sunshine until we hit the Buckeye state again.

I would love another trip to the area but in September "Ma and the boys" are going to ride the Allegheny Passage from DC to Pittsburgh and in October we're going to take Louis up on his offer to ride the Cuyahoga Towpath.
    Can't wait! Let the good times roll.

A three wheeler? Remember you're adding 1/3rd more chance of a puncture.

Kidding aside...go for it, girl!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you can't manage a visit, do check out his website. He has a lot of information there.

Happy Hunting!!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recumbents are The Dark Side and recumbent trikes are The Dark Side of the Dark Side.
    Keep cycling, one way or the other.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Mongoose passed on to my son, Miyata, Tailwind, V-Rex, De Rosa, Safari, just added a Bike Friday
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "So far I've been able to stay on the bike"

My boys used to tell me if, "I didn't fall off the MTB, I wasn't riding hard enough." Guess I never got the hang of riding hard enough.

MTG
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cimarron '86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: Cuyahoga towpath...It's a good ride for folks of all ages and sizes and bikes. We have ridden it for over 20 years and think it is one of the best rides in Ohio. Are you going to ride the whole thing? Take the train? http://www.cvsr.com/bikeaboard.aspx For 2 bucks you can put your bike on the train and get off anywhere it stops. And I saw my fist recumbent trike there as well! Do you know about Szalay's farm market? yummy stop-take your panniers to stock up on goodies. Sorry if this is redundant info.
    MTG
    NE OHIO