Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a new goal -- ideas, anyone?

This year I put my racing career on hold as my real estate business boomed. I'm still riding but not the same as the past 3 years. I miss it, but need to make a living.

I was nominated for the position of President-Elect of my local Association of Realtors (R). I'm in the 1st year of my 2nd 2-year term as a Director, so I have 16 months to serve before I go away.

I wasn't going to run for President-Elect this year but accepted the nomination, worked a grass-roots campaign, and lost by a handful of votes.

I can accept losing at bicycle races, but this stung. I wasn't prepared to lose.

So now the next 3 years are WFO. I'm not committed to running next year. So now I wonder what's next?

I could put together a training program for next year's Nationals and hope to qualify for the '13 Senior Games.

Or I could ride more and rack up the smiles per mile.

Or I could find some other fat, juicy goal that entices me, and go for it.

For now I'm at loose ends. As a goal-oriented person this feels very odd, unsettling, uncomfortable.

I may spend some time here and see what happens.

Thanks for indulging me and offering your ideas. The perspectives offered in this forum never cease to amaze me.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd say build a bike...........but you already have nice bikes.............................so your just going to have to wear one out and then learn how to build one........

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually when I have a big break and need a motivator I take a college class.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know small business owners have an aversion to taking a week off for a vacation, so this may not work for you.

My week of cycling in Colorado two years ago was a fantastic motivator. I'm a lifelong lowlander and flatlander, living at 300-500 feet on the ancient lakebed of Lake Ontario. Just the thought of riding Colorado's Front Range made me dizzy. I paid for the trip then had to train like crazy in order to be assured I at least had a chance of riding between 5,000 and 14,000 feet.

For me, just being able to ride in the flatlands of DF's neighborhood was an epic challenge. Riding to the top of the highest paved road in North America was simply icing on the cake.

Riding a century the following weekend that took me from the high desert up 5,000 feet to the Peak-to-Peak Scenic Byway along the eastern edge of Rocky Mountain National Park cemented the sense of accomplishment, showing it was no fluke.

The only trouble is what do I do for an encore? Unable to come up with one, my riding is down my 25% since returning.

I've decided to return to Colorado next summer, to do the Tour of the Valley in Grand Junction at the end of August.
    Last edited by tsl; 08-11-10 at 07:36 AM.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn to speak Dutch in preparation for your cycle tour of de Nederlands next May.

Free flashcard audio program to get you started:

http://www.byki.com/fls/free-dutch-s...d.html?l=dutch
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride across the country. Now THAT would be something worth doing and talk about making the memories.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Ride across the country. Now THAT would be something worth doing and talk about making the memories.
    2nd that.

We have a Great Country with Great People everywhere.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pick one of these tours to go on.
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/tours/index.cfm
    We've done Washington and Montana and loved 'em.

Or work toward a 1 hour (or some other time) Diablo Challenge ride.

There's always that California Triple Crown.
    http://www.caltriplecrown.com/

Cyclocrosss racing?

Or maybe work on your artful scraper bike.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGLNPJ9VCE
    and
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=94318161

Figure out how much you can help local cyclists. How often can you wash the bikes, fix the flats, or clean the chains of cyclists in your (greater) area.
    I, for a number of reasons, favor this goal.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, crazy or not, this is my goal by the summer of 2012, possibly 2011.

http://www.vineman.com/aquabike.htm

Running a full triathlon is out, but the other two parts are very doable. I did my first sprint a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-11-10 at 08:24 AM.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of goals and biking-be without. It is a surprisingly difficult goal to achieve.

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reply might be a little way out so here goes.

First, we all have a "LIFECLOCK", and when that clock stops ticking, it is "game over", "end of story". With that said, time does not come back, nor do we know the when our clocks will stop. Some go overboard in each direction. That is time spent making money, education, working, anything but having fun. Whereas, the other end of the spectrum, some go all out for having fun, fun and fun, everything else be dam.

I am not in the middle, I lean more to having fun. Mind you, goals in the workforce could be fun too. It was suggested to me to get a part time job to balance out my finances.. Sheesh, I quickly calculated that the time I put into a part time job, WILL NOT COME BACK. Not only that, the years pass 65 are PRICELESS. The "LIFECLOCK" can stop at any day, any minute any second, for what ever reason. Therefore, I am going for the fun. Other stuffs come second. I never saw a BRINKS truck following a hearse!!

Anyway, luck to you in your goals and success in your business.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paris-Brest-Paris, summer of 2011.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    This year I put my racing career on hold as my real estate business boomed. I'm still riding but not the same as the past 3 years. I miss it, but need to make a living.

I was nominated for the position of President-Elect of my local Association of Realtors (R). I'm in the 1st year of my 2nd 2-year term as a Director, so I have 16 months to serve before I go away.

I wasn't going to run for President-Elect this year but accepted the nomination, worked a grass-roots campaign, and lost by a handful of votes.

I can accept losing at bicycle races, but this stung. I wasn't prepared to lose.

So now the next 3 years are WFO. I'm not committed to running next year. So now I wonder what's next?

I could put together a training program for next year's Nationals and hope to qualify for the '13 Senior Games.

Or I could ride more and rack up the smiles per mile.

Or I could find some other fat, juicy goal that entices me, and go for it.

For now I'm at loose ends. As a goal-oriented person this feels very odd, unsettling, uncomfortable.

I may spend some time here and see what happens.

Thanks for indulging me and offering your ideas. The perspectives offered in this forum never cease to amaze me.

All the other professional women racers were relieved.

My suggestion is Masters Road US Nationals next year in Bend, OR. MEA and I will be there.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Paris-Brest-Paris, summer of 2011.
    Bit more time required to attempt this one but as you are interested in Racing---How about a holiday in Europe- and attempt the Etape stage next year. No Idea where it would be but can gaurantee it would be uphill- a long ride and it would be hard.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Why not get involved in your local bicycle advocacy efforts? Help create a local bike plan or work on the local Complete Streets efforts. Those are things that will also help you in your real estate career.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are four of my projects that keep me busy. Folks would LOVE to have someone with your skills and drive involved in something like this. I started and run all of these in my "spare time."

http://www.noewait.net

http://www.ourwebs.info/indexpad.htm

http://www.ourwebs.info/indexxyz.htm

http://www.youtube.com/noewait1
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-11-10 at 01:26 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Girl! You need to slow down!

O.K. If I read you post properly you're still committed to your Director post for another year and a half. And, like you said, you need to keep selling real estate as that is your income.

I'm thinking that as a successful real estate person you must be well talented in both people skills and in business skills. You're athletic and enjoy cycling.

You must know of several local rides and/or destinations that visitors would enjoy, so why not start up a small bicycle touring company with yourself as C.E.O. and tour guide? You could run it from home and still be available for your other obligations. It sounds like a good marriage of your talents and hobbies. If successful, it could become a sweet retirement gig.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    You must know of several local rides and/or destinations that visitors would enjoy, so why not start up a small bicycle touring company with yourself as C.E.O. and tour guide? You could run it from home and still be available for your other obligations. It sounds like a good marriage of your talents and hobbies. If successful, it could become a sweet retirement gig.
    Lenny - great idea and one I thought about for myself but when I look at the people who are doing it they are not riding, they are driving SAG wagons or on the phone.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Bit more time required to attempt this one but as you are interested in Racing---How about a holiday in Europe- and attempt the Etape stage next year. No Idea where it would be but can gaurantee it would be uphill- a long ride and it would be hard.
    According to the RUSA website, she has to ride a qualifying series of brevets in the year of the race. That means, she starts a Brevet series in January or February, does all the qualifications, and then it's off to Paris next summer:

http://www.rusa.org/faq3.html

"All would-be PBP participants must do a Super Randonneur brevet series (200-, 300-, 400-, and 600-kilometer events) in the year of PBP, finishing the series by mid-June. Each qualifying brevet must be on the calendar of the Randonneurs Mondiaux and run under the guidelines of the ACP. You may search for qualifying rides by choosing type "ACP". "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Lenny - great idea and one I thought about for myself but when I look at the people who are doing it they are not riding, they are driving SAG wagons or on the phone.

Doesn't sound like much fun to me!!

I want to find a way to get paid for riding Sweep on a regular basis, without having to get a divorce (Wife doesn't want to live in any of the touring hotspots I've found).

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rck View Post
    In terms of goals and biking-be without. It is a surprisingly difficult goal to achieve.
    The very thought of being goalless makes me

Besides, isn't being without a goal a goal? *rethinks and cogitates*

Sounds rather Zen. I might actually be able to do this.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    If I could take the time away from my business to do this, I'd sign on with cgallagh and do it on the tandem. Alas, unless I made it a race, I can't spare the time...this year.

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    [/COLOR]

All the other professional women racers were relieved.

My suggestion is Masters Road US Nationals next year in Bend, OR. MEA and I will be there.
    Maybe "career" was too strong a word.

However, this seems quite doable. I will give this more thought. Thanks!

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Girl! You need to slow down!

O.K. If I read you post properly you're still committed to your Director post for another year and a half. And, like you said, you need to keep selling real estate as that is your income.

I'm thinking that as a successful real estate person you must be well talented in both people skills and in business skills. You're athletic and enjoy cycling.

A couple years ago, cgallagh and another cycling/cooking couple came up with the idea of having a B&B and leading cycling tours from there. We talked through details and figured about 2015 we could make it happen.

Sadly, that couple is now divorced. But the idea of living in a place like, well, here, and leading bike tours really appeals to me.

In my current market I could probably make more money leading bike tours...*shrugs*

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    According to the RUSA website, she has to ride a qualifying series of brevets in the year of the race. That means, she starts a Brevet series in January or February, does all the qualifications, and then it's off to Paris next summer:

http://www.rusa.org/faq3.html

"All would-be PBP participants must do a Super Randonneur brevet series (200-, 300-, 400-, and 600-kilometer events) in the year of PBP, finishing the series by mid-June. Each qualifying brevet must be on the calendar of the Randonneurs Mondiaux and run under the guidelines of the ACP. You may search for qualifying rides by choosing type "ACP". "
    So far I've managed to be brevet-free. Hmmm.

Visit my blog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast