Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do we now have a moderator of moderators in the 50+ forum?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 07:20 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Seems that if someone doesn't like a post it gets reported to the mods to get moved, and then it gets moved, without a "by your leave."

Heck, we've been through this again and again. The 50+ forum - to me - represents a more "50+" view on a lot of different topics. If it is going to be limited to hemorrhoids and the like, then I need to follow Blues Dawg and Billydonn out of here, and let'close the darn thing down.

What's up with moving the threads to different forums at the request of one person, not even the OP?
Old 08-10-10, 07:28 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've discussed this in the past with the other mods and most of them agree that the 50+ forum is "special" and we allow a little more latitude. But we draw the line if a thread gets political or definitely belongs somewhere else.

BTW: Which threads were moved? I haven't moved one in at least a month, maybe longer.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-10-10, 07:41 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This is the thread that was moved:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ly-hit-cyclist

It looks like BluesDawg started it, and then went back and edited the original post after the thread was moved. One member of the forum asked for the thread to be moved; it's not clear to me why.

And I'm guessing this is the thread where BluesDawg and bdonn announce they've had enough:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...394-had-enough

I don't see why the mods would move that at the request of one member, when they let non-cycling-related nonsense like this go on in the road forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?670263-Don-t-Ride!-You-ll-get-Skin-Cancer!
Old 08-10-10, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I've discussed this in the past with the other mods and most of them agree that the 50+ forum is "special" and we allow a little more latitude. But we draw the line if a thread gets political or definitely belongs somewhere else.

BTW: Which threads were moved? I haven't moved one in at least a month, maybe longer.
Something about a driver running over a bike rider on purpose. It went to A&S if that helps.

Many thanks to whoever moved it for assisting in the provision of additional drama to the 50+ forum, God knows us old farts could use some excitement.
Old 08-10-10, 07:44 AM
Banned.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ly-hit-cyclist

Move requested by The Weak Link for reasons unknown. MOved for reasons unstated.

Here is the edited post. It has changed since originally posted:

This really isn't about driver vs. cyclist. It is about stupid vs. even stupider. Any flaming maroon will tell you that you never, ever insult a drunk man's girlfriend. Did the cyclist think his Pinarello provided him with the cloak of invisibility?

Anyway, reported to the mods. Take this stuff over to A&S where it belongs.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-10-10 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 07:57 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
I agree with you on this Denver.

Although I am a relative newcomer to this sub-forum I have found it to generally be my favorite of all because I feel I am communicating with a group of peers in terms of "whole" life experience.

This group is all over the place in every respect except our over 50 year status and our enjoyment of cycling. We have new riders and people with many thousands of miles in their legs. We have recumbent riders, tandem riders, racers and pleasure riders.

We are a very representative sample of mature adults. We have some very real differences in outlook and opinion. And I enjoy that difference.

As I see it this is a very simple group to belong to and share in. You have to be interested in cycling and be 50 years old. If you have an idea or a question you want to pose to the group please do so. As far as I am concerned this doesn't have to be restricted to any topic. As long as we can remain civil to each other why not communicate?

I realize certain topics can become emotional and create tension between respondents. This is one of the most interesting aspects of human nature and intellect to me. I take great pleasure in the interplay of civil debate. When intelligent, witty and thoughtful people agree to disagree in a manner that remains civil and respectful it is a great pleasure.

I have referred to the "democracy" of these forums in another thread. I stand by my belief in that. If the topic isn't generally interesting it will soon be gone into oblivion and forgotten. If you don't care for a subject don't post a response and the thread moves that much quicker to oblivion.
Old 08-10-10, 08:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
If you don't care for a subject don't post a response and the thread moves that much quicker to oblivion.
+1,000,000,000,000
Old 08-10-10, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ahsposo
I agree with you on this Denver.

Although I am a relative newcomer to this sub-forum I have found it to generally be my favorite of all because I feel I am communicating with a group of peers in terms of "whole" life experience.
I find your whole post was very well done.
Old 08-10-10, 10:43 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Since I'm being demonized, I thought I might respond.

Since my membership began I've hit the "objection" button a grand total of 4 times.

The post today would have been moved in a Missouri minute over at the road forum. Those type of posts serve no end except to further an "us vs. them" mentality. it's not my call and it should not have been taken personally.

There was a post on this thread two years ago that was political from the git-go. It wasn't even tangential to cycling. I protested, and the mod at the time (I don't remember who it was) told me, on the open forum rather than a PM, to go shove it. That was certainly one way to handle it.

Denver's recent political post was also called out. There was no response to my protest by the mods initially, so I launched a counter-thread. Both threads got moved. I was fine with that. I did get lectured by a mod via PM. I thought the mod was correct and dropped the matter.

Finally, I took exception to someone's signature that read: End global warming -- kill a Republican.

Now really.

The mods agreed with me on that one and the poster had it changed.

I'm a libertine and a degenerate at heart so I don't much care what is posted, really, as long as it doesn't create a hostile environment. Since I've been called on this forum, both openly and in PM, a racist, a member of the KKK, and an inbred toothless Kentuckian (that's a heck of a thing to say to someone who was born in Washington, D.C., the son of an employee of the federal government and whose mom was from Ames, Iowa) I suppose I'm a bit touchy about what comes across this forum.

I could lecture about even-handedness and having a sense of fair play but I'm afraid I'd be wasting bandwidth on that one.

Anyway, this site is supposed to be a site for bikes. I'll accept my voluntary blacklisting from some of you for awhile. Let BD know it's safe to come back.
Old 08-10-10, 10:58 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I find Blues Dawg and The Weak Link two of the most entertaining posters on this forum and I'd be sorry to see either of them leave.
Old 08-10-10, 11:07 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
For whatever it's worth, I find Blues Dawg and The Weak Link two of the most entertaining posters on this forum and I'd be sorry to see either of them leave.
I agree. Let's demonstrate that we really do have the maturity that is supposed to come with our years and let the whole thing slide, shall we? It doesn't matter who was right or wrong. Even the most constructive communities sometimes go off the rails. THe more we let this fester, the harder it will be to let it pass. I guess people will need to vent on this thread for another day or so, but then we should bury it.

Oh, and it's raining this morning and I'm worried that I won't get my ride in later. Now that's something to get upset about.
Old 08-10-10, 11:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't we all just get along?

(experience says no)
Old 08-10-10, 12:48 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
And helpful and encouraging at times.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-10-10, 02:30 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
... Since I've been called on this forum, both openly and in PM, a racist, a member of the KKK, and an inbred toothless Kentuckian ....
Really?! Hmmm, well, when you and everyone else comes back from wherever you guys wander off to during these "time outs" you'll have to delve into these allegations and clue us in. 'Sounds like fun!

Well, don't nobody stay away for too long, folks, I can only ride my bike so much more, and then I get tired and I have to come back here and read how tired (or not) my fellow 50+ers are, and what they're going to do about it...
Old 08-10-10, 02:34 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Something about a driver running over a bike rider on purpose. It went to A&S if that helps.
Since I'm being demonized, I thought I might respond.

Since my membership began I've hit the "objection" button a grand total of 4 times. .
I'm not sure anything here could fairly be characterized as "demonizing" you. Maybe purely political stuff unrelated to cycling should be moved but I don't see why other topics, like this one need to go to the "appropriate" forum. Most of us post and read here because we value the opinions of the 50+ audience. Almost anything we write about could go elsewhere (e.g. mechanics, road) but we don't want it to -- we want to talk about it with the more mature audience found here
Old 08-10-10, 03:37 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
One comment (and strictly my own opinion)...

I think that any group that claims openness to all topics also has to be open to accepting the opinions of those who object.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-10-10, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a libertine and a degenerate at heart so I don't much care what is posted, really, as long as it doesn't create a hostile environment. Since I've been called on this forum, both openly and in PM, a racist, a member of the KKK, and an inbred toothless Kentuckian (that's a heck of a thing to say to someone who was born in Washington, D.C., the son of an employee of the federal government and whose mom was from Ames, Iowa) I suppose I'm a bit touchy about what comes across this forum.

I could lecture about even-handedness and having a sense of fair play but I'm afraid I'd be wasting bandwidth on that one.

Anyway, this site is supposed to be a site for bikes. I'll accept my voluntary blacklisting from some of you for awhile. Let BD know it's safe to come back.
**********????

Somehow these just don't add up. "...I'd be wasting bandwith on that one." doesn't create a hostile environment? Makes me wonder what the real reason is BD's post hit a nerve?
Old 08-10-10, 03:50 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Sad that this forum has to go through the whiny little crap again.

Hope the women’s forum does not have to put up with this.

Last edited by CB HI; 08-10-10 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-10-10, 03:50 PM
Banned.

Asking a mod to move a long-time participant's thread to another forum because you alone have decided it doesn't fit - that doesn't create a hostile environment?
Old 08-10-10, 03:54 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin

I think that any group that claims openness to all topics also has to be open to accepting the opinions of those who object.
Seems to me that the real objection was with the Mod's action and not with the opinion expressed.
Old 08-10-10, 03:58 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by CB HI
Seems to me that the real objection was with the Mod's action and not with the opinion expressed.
I agree. That certainly did not help the situation.
Old 08-10-10, 03:59 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin

Absolutely.

I think we all will respect an objection but clearly if the subject is of interest and not outside the norms of civil, open discussion why move it to another forum? If the discussion is developing in an objectionable fashion a moderator can close it. If the case can be made for the thread's merit it can be re-opened with warnings to keep the discourse respectful and polite.

I know that sometimes what one person sees as wit another can view as a personal attack or disrespect. We all need to remember that this is just words on the internet. Nothing we can say here is worth getting worked up over. Let's remember our purpose here is to inform, entertain and support each other.
Old 08-10-10, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
This sounds about right. I have participated in a lot of bulletin boards over the years. The ones that are best moderated are the ones that are the least moderated. BF seems to have some active moderators who have a neatness fetish and just can't resist moving things into the "correct" thread. My vote is for a light hand in all things moderator. Keep order as appropriate. When in doubt leave things alone. Resist micro-managing because we are not Borg (well, not all of us anyway).
Old 08-10-10, 04:22 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JazNine
My vote is for a light hand in all things moderator. Keep order as appropriate. When in doubt leave things alone. Resist micro-managing because we are not Borg (well, not all of us anyway).
This gets my vote too. It's not like this sub-forum is overrun with non-bike related threads. I have no objection to some digression to topics that aren't strictly about bikes or biking, but are of general interest to cyclists, and especially 50+ cyclists. As someone else said, threads that aren't of interest to those who frequent this sub-forum will quickly fade into oblivion.
Old 08-10-10, 04:40 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Since BD edited his original post most of us (including me) may never know what started all this and why the thread was moved.
TWL got to read it and thought it should be in A&S. He seems like a level-headed person to me.
I think we should get over this and move on.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.