Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any experience using Guanfacine, Tenex, Intuniv?

Recently had to stop taking Adderal and my neurologist put me on Guanfacine. He warned that it might make me tired and suggested I take it right before bed so that particular side effect would be mostly gone by morning. I'm only in my first week of taking it, and feel completely wiped out most of the day. Anyone have experience with this drug? I'm almost afraid to head out on a ride longer than 25 miles for fear I won't be able to complete it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the lack of responses, I think the answer is No. I suggest doing the ride, but staying close to home if possible.

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son experienced the same feelings of listlessness and "not being himself" when he began with, ironically, Adderal. However, over a period of 6 - 8 weeks, these side-affects gradually lessened to normal. No telling with the drugs you mention, but giving it time for adjustment is a possibility. Not ideal, but how about a short loop that begins and ends near home....clockwise, counterclockwise............

My Bikes
    Giant OCR3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter couldn't take Adderall due to side effects, and was put on Tenex. She had to start out on a very low dose, and very gradually build up. Yes, it made her tired at first, but her body gradually (within a couple months) got used to it. After a while, it did not make her tired, even at a fairly high dosage. Give it time, and tell your MD about the tiredness--maybe you should be on a lower dose til you get used to it.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea what those drugs are for, but I sympathize with your condition. At 59, I am starting to have pinched-nerve issues, so I guess the old bod is starting to break down, but I haven't had to take any drugs yet. I am going to try to hold off on doing any kind of pharmaceutical solutions for as long as I possibly can. Jeez, I don't even take Advil for pain unless it's so excrutiating I can't sleep. But it's good to be made aware of some of the side effects of various drugs so I can make inquiries should the need arise. Hope everything turns out OK.

Luis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had some experience with Tenex years ago (not biking at the time). It felt great in one sense, all nerve endings dulled, kind of a high feeling. But just too drowsy to continue. Didn't get a chance to see if repeated exposure would lessen that side effect.