Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

3rd Annual 50+ Ride? Anyone?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

3rd Annual 50+ Ride? Anyone?

Old 11-18-10, 11:07 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I'd be interested in a Eugene meet-up, subject to dates, etc. Pretty easy for me to get to Eugene (I could even ride there...)

Not sure how much help I could provide in organizing it but if folks traveling to the Pacific Northwest would be interested in riding suggestions/maps/guides/resources on the Washington side of the Pacific Northwest I could help pull together that info.
I would be interested also. Will be occupied riding in Montana June 19-28, so either before or after that would be great. IMO it is not really necessary to piggyback on another ride. In addition to a date, an official motel would also be needed.
Old 11-19-10, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
I would be interested also. Will be occupied riding in Montana June 19-28, so either before or after that would be great. IMO it is not really necessary to piggyback on another ride. In addition to a date, an official motel would also be needed.
I did the Second Annual Ride in Watkins Glen and had a great time. I have had some thoughts, and PM’s with other attendees, on occasion about the 3rd Annual since the last flurry of discussions in September. I had planned to post them later in March as suggested by Beverly, when plans will be forthcoming for organized summer rides.

There had been some discussion about the Third Annual Ride in a companion thread, “A priori - purpose (if any) of 50+ ‘annual ride’ ”:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nual-ride-quot

which incidentally also re-surfaced just yesterday. In particular DnvrFox summarized:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Why don't we try choosing 4 specific locations and events this year, at different times, located in diverse geographic areas, and see what happens? I really don't think there is much of a downside.

We have had a number of folks already volunteer, from several corners of the US of A. We could even have a get-together in Europe/England. Stapfam - just how big is that garden of yours?

It seems to me a number of decisions have already been made.

1. We are not going to try to have one "big" event.

2. We are going to try to tie in with already organized/organizing rides - those with lots of options for folks - i.e., 25, 33, 45, 60, 100 mile rides - to suit all tastes.

3. Each geographic area will have a volunteer/coordinator

4. The purpose(s) of the events are NOT to have a long ride, but, instead, are to have a social/meeting time where we get to meet and interact with interesting 50+ folks we have met - but don't really know - on the internet through this forum.

5. We should likely have different times - perhaps starting in April or thereabouts, continuing through the summer/fall.

So, we need to document who will sponsor what, when and where. Can someone do this?
I had two trains of thought. First, maybe a 3rd Annual Ride could be done independently as described by billydonn above, with minimal involvement and encumbrances by a “host,” as just a source of information; in a sense of a “show and go” ride (weekend). On the Second Annual ride, tsl did a great job, and seemed to enjoy it. I myself enjoy advising and guiding people around Boston, but besides being off in one non-central corner of the country, it is an expensive locale to visit in the summer. Ohio was suggested as a possible site for the East Coast and Midwest crowd.

My other thought would be to just rendezvous again at Watkins Glen for the Southern Tier Club’s Annual Great Finger Lakes Tour. We now have a contingent of about eight Fifty-Plus’ers who know the ropes and can vouch for the Ride. I think there is agreement that it fulfilled all of DnverFox’s “Postulates.”

FWIW. This is not a commitment, but I am favorably inclined to consider any format.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-19-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-19-10, 09:04 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by seenoweevil
I'm interested, but every time I see the word "hill", I get hives! OK, not really. But I AM interested! I've never been to Texas.
Jeepers, Carl. I'd think it would be your bike that got hives, what with those quads of steel on the pedals.

Old 11-19-10, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Bump this bad boy too!

Looking back through this, I really like the idea of inviting BFers to join us in Michigan for the One Hell of a Ride, sponsored and managed by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring society...
Hi RF,

I just noted this post (on the preceding page) after having replied this morning to billydonn's subsequent post. As a Michigan native I can attest to how nice that area is for riding, and I have been impressed by the AABTS website and activities. We visit Michigan about three or four times a year for family activities, and while I might not go to Michigan just for that ride itself, a BF 3rd Annual ride and to visit family would be a "go."

Pardon me for suggesting Ohio as a venue, but it would have been too self-serving to suggest Michigan, and there was a relatively large Ohio contingent at this summer's Second Annual Ride.
Old 11-19-10, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston

I had two trains of thought. First, maybe a 3rd Annual Ride could be done independently as described by billydonn above, with minimal involvement and encumbrances by a “host,” as just a source of information; in a sense of a “show and go” ride (weekend). On the Second Annual ride, tsl did a great job, and seemed to enjoy it.

Ohio was suggested as a possible site for the East Coast and Midwest crowd.

My other thought would be to just rendezvous again at Watkins Glen for the Southern Tier Club’s Annual Great Finger Lakes Tour. We now have a contingent of about eight Fifty-Plus’ers who know the ropes and can vouch for the Ride.
FWIW. This is not a commitment, but I am favorably inclined to consider any format.
Jim, I think these good suggestions. I, too, would seriously consider these options, along with the Erie Canal, C&O or Boston with or without joining another, larger group.!
Old 11-19-10, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by miss kenton
Jim, I think these good suggestions. I, too, would seriously consider these options, along with the Erie Canal, C&O or Boston with or without joining another, larger group.!
Add on Road Fan's "One Helluva Ride" in Michigan: https://www.aabts.org/ohr/
It will be on Saturday July 9, 2011. I think it really is a Hell ride and passes through Hell, MI. Though it's only a one day event, the nearby town of Ann Arbor, MI might be a good place for a two or three day unofficial gathering spot, to include informal additional rides and activities, somewhat as as suggested by billydonn in post # 51.

I think it's hard to justify a long trip for a one-day event.
Old 11-19-10, 05:44 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Well, what I was trying to offer was a focal ride, to answer the "you didn't even have a ride!" objection, and within 1 day/1 way of a large part of North America. There's not restriction to having supplemental rides and activities. I don't know I could do a lengthy supplemental ride just before or just after an OHR 100, but we've been saying there are many ride opportunities in SE Michigan, including simply a tour of the areas around Ann Arbor, Saline, and Milan.

But, I have a ride, and it's a great one.

I did think there was a flavor of "make a ride, and then leave us alone," but now we want a fully scheduled thing? My solution to a post-OHR recovery day is yard work. I'd love to have a dozen BF50-ers to help me.

Notwithstanding my confusion, I offer assistance to help others here to join in the OHR 60, 75, or 100, attempting to line up an "official" 50+ hotel, and set up a 50+ dinner. I will also provide a list of suggested restaurants and venues for additional meals, but I'd need to know your chosen lodgings. If desired, I'll help with info about other available events before or after.

We do have some great bars, and in town is one of the greatest Chicago-style pizzas anywhere including Chicago.

So it's not just a ride - it's a holiday, if you want one.

Or go elsewhere, if you don't want this one. But few other organized rides are as well-managed as this one, or feed you as well.

Ok, now I'm going for popcorn.

BTW, I bumped up BOTH old threads.

BTW BTW, you can all do the OHR without my assistance, too. Centralization is not necessary to have a nice bike ride.
Old 11-19-10, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd like to join in a ride to be able to meet and ride with y'all that I only know via the web.

But, to be economical for me it must be scheduled way in advance so I can take advantage of cheap(er) airfare. Plus, my bike has to be shipped and rental cars by and large do not permit bike racks. So, I'd have to figure a way to overcome that.

This can all be done. But, for me, it is a challenge that must be met.
Old 11-19-10, 07:45 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Latitude,

I've handled this issue in the past. You can ship bikes directly to and from Ann Arbor, MI. I've received my cousin's bike and unpacked it for her. It was then awaiting her at my house. We then took it and the packing materials to the LBS, who packed it, then after a day I transported it to the Fed Ex office - minimal trouble, no drives greater than 2 miles, bikes arrived undamaged.
Old 11-19-10, 09:17 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I'll just throw out the Texas hill country as a thought and see if anyone bites. February to June would be best.

https://www.cycletexas.com/
Old 11-19-10, 09:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Latitude,

I've handled this issue in the past. You can ship bikes directly to and from Ann Arbor, MI. I've received my cousin's bike and unpacked it for her. It was then awaiting her at my house. We then took it and the packing materials to the LBS, who packed it, then after a day I transported it to the Fed Ex office - minimal trouble, no drives greater than 2 miles, bikes arrived undamaged.
I'm aware a bike can be shipped most anywhere. It is just a matter of money and prayer. Shipping the bike is expensive. Need the prayer it gets there undamaged.

Somewhere along the line I'd need support from a local to transport the bike to or from the shipping point and maybe the ride start point.

But with enough time and money and help it can be done.
Old 11-19-10, 11:00 PM

If, Lat, we're talking about an Ann Arbor event, then I've been talking about being that local who could receive shipment of your bike. Was that not clear?

Not paying for your shipping, though!

Fed Ex Denver to Ann Arbor was around $70 1-way, if I recall correctly. You can call and find out for sure. LBS's packing charge was $45.

I handled this for my cousin and her friend, who came to Michigan to ride the Shoreline MUP tour with me, last summer. No problem.
Old 11-19-10, 11:42 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Followup thoughts:

1. Many (well some) of us are academics, which means that prime time for an event is about May 15 to August 15
a. this may eliminate Texas, which I would like to do otherwise
2. I suggest this be viewed as a multi-day "gathering" where people can group up as they please for riding with one day designated for assembly of the entire group for a "common ride"
a. a designated official motel is very desirable IMO
3. From my perspective tagging onto a larger ride is less desirable, but I know there is disagreement on this.
a. crowding and competition for lodging are may main reasons for saying this.
4. To me the most attractive sites mentioned so far are Eugene, OR and Ohio- I have heard great things about Ohio trails and would almost certainly enjoy that. A somewhat central location is a plus for Ohio.... Eugene would be great too. Maybe east and west 50+ rides are in order! I would try to attend at either location if dates were right.
5. Michigan would be okay with me too if a consensus emerges for that location.
Old 11-20-10, 12:55 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree about tagging onto a larger ride being less desirable. It kind of defeats the main purpose of having a forum gathering, which is to meet and spend time with people you know from here, as opposed to spending time with masses of other random people.
Old 11-20-10, 08:55 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
This might need a separate thread but is anyone interested in signing up as a "team" to enhance our chances of doing Ride The Rockies in June----or use it as a 50+ ride?
Old 11-20-10, 09:39 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southeast anyone? Greenville / Spartanburg, Asheville, Boone / Blowing Rock, Charlotte? I can list many attractions beyond epic riding and routes to suit all tastes/ Speak up...
Old 11-20-10, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ro-monster
I agree about tagging onto a larger ride being less desirable. It kind of defeats the main purpose of having a forum gathering, which is to meet and spend time with people you know from here, as opposed to spending time with masses of other random people.
On this year's 2nd Annual Fifty-Plus Ride held with the Great Finger Lakes Bike Tour with at least about 300 or more other riders, the BF crowd of about twelve found each other pretty readily and chose a table for meeting in the clubhouse. The interaction throughout the week-end was IMO well-described by the term "clustering"; we naturally gravitated together.

One new experience as a solo rider who does very few organized rides, was the informality of the event. There were several courses available for the main riding days of Saturday and Sunday, with a single, traditional Friday late afternoon ride. There were no massed starts that I was aware of, and eventually I lingered at breakfast and spontaneously switched to a longer ride on Saturday. I rode by myself or with pleasant strangers. Nonetheless, the BF'ers clustered Friday PM, Saturday AM and PM; and several did ride together. I left late Saturday night.

Many of us wrote of the experience on the sticky about the ride:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Thread)/page5

The posts about the departures begin at post #106, and the ride and social descriptions start at #121. You’ll find that everyone had a good time, even despite adversities, so I have no problem with joining a larger organized ride. It just seems most are one day events, unlike the GFLBT.
Old 11-20-10, 10:04 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
How about a distributed "virtual group" ride? Select several venues scattered around the US and Canada and organize a small group ride in each. (The Camp Pendleton area might draw a fair number of us, given the San Diego, Orange, and Los Angeles location tags I frequently see here.) We can exchange photos and other ride memoirs on this site. My problem is that I am working a demanding full-time job, plus a part-time teaching gig which runs every academic quarter, including summer.

For anyone who wants to visit southern California, I can sweeten the deal with vintage bikes to lend. I doubt I would want to hassle with transporting a bicycle by air these days.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 11-20-10 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-20-10, 11:54 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On this year's 2nd Annual Fifty-Plus Ride held with the Great Finger Lakes Bike Tour with at least about 300 or more other riders, the BF crowd of about twelve found each other pretty readily and chose a table for meeting in the clubhouse. The interaction throughout the week-end was IMO well-described by the term "clustering"; we naturally gravitated together.
One new experience as a solo rider who does very few organized rides, was the informality of the event. There were several courses available for the main riding days of Saturday and Sunday, with a single, traditional Friday late afternoon ride. There were no massed starts that I was aware of, and eventually I lingered at breakfast and spontaneously switched to a longer ride on Saturday. I rode by myself or with pleasant strangers. Nonetheless, the BF'ers clustered Friday PM, Saturday AM and PM; and several did ride together.
... so I have no problem with joining a larger organized ride. It just seems most are one day events, unlike the GFLBT.
Jim has described last year's event well. Although there was a large group at the GFLBT event, and they were friendly and hospitable, we were our own subset. As some of us rode different rides, another fun element came into play; at dinner, we all came back together and exchanged "war stories" of our rides. Everyone had an interesting story to share. It was a great time and everyone had the opportunity to ride the type of ride they felt comfortable with.
Old 11-20-10, 12:09 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I think having a formal "group ride" associated with a larger formal ride meets the needs of the 50+ riders who want to say they did "a ride." On the 1st Annual Ride, this was a big point of contention and some hard feelings - even though some of us got up at 7 and were on the road by 8, others got up a t 9 and were on the road at 10. TYhey didn;t want to get up early and those that got up early didn't want to wait. Also, there were extreme differences in riding ability, stamina, etc. There really were not enough homogeneous folks to do "a RIDE."

So, if there is a "formal ride" by a larger organized group, it would meet this need. I think this is a great idea - it doesn't mean that the 50+'rs who want to can't also do their own thing.
Old 11-20-10, 12:50 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eugene or Ohio via Amtrak --- I'm in! I took Amtrak to Portland, Oregon, and will never forget the drop-dead gorgeous scenery on that early spring morning as the train wound silently through the pines high in the Cascades.
Old 11-20-10, 04:03 PM

Yen, actually there was a third proposal - Michigan.
Old 11-20-10, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen
Eugene or Ohio via Amtrak --- I'm in! I took Amtrak to Portland, Oregon, and will never forget the drop-dead gorgeous scenery on that early spring morning as the train wound silently through the pines high in the Cascades.
Yes, Amtrak is good. I've given up flying so I would not be going to any destination that required it.
Old 11-20-10, 10:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If, Lat, we're talking about an Ann Arbor event, then I've been talking about being that local who could receive shipment of your bike. Was that not clear?

Not paying for your shipping, though!

Fed Ex Denver to Ann Arbor was around $70 1-way, if I recall correctly. You can call and find out for sure. LBS's packing charge was $45.

I handled this for my cousin and her friend, who came to Michigan to ride the Shoreline MUP tour with me, last summer. No problem.
OH...I guess I didn't read closely enough. I thought the Ann Arbor was just a "for example". That is too far from anything else I would do on a trip to the States. The other factor is that summer is tourist season. To get the flights I want at a decent price I need the schedule by Feb. If I'm lucky I can get tickets as late as March, but that is luck.

Also, I wasn't wanting anyone to pay anything of my expenses. I was just observing that cost is a big factor Also, that the rental car companies I've used don't like you to add racks, hitches, etc so I can't cart the bike around locally on the car. That means some kind of local support.

I'll be back down in Denver the first part of July, God willing. So, Texas, Oregon, Missouri, etc would be good places for me if the timing works to tack the ride on the trip.
Old 11-20-10, 10:37 PM

I only mentioned Denver, CO as an example of shipping costs. I really have no idea where you live.

My discussion of a ride in Ann Arbor, MI is a concrete proposal. I've made it several times. Please do not mistake it for anything else. So far, only a few seem to be taking me seriously in this. I dunno if this is just because it's 50+, or what.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.