Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post

IMHO, MAMIL fall into one of three categories. 1) Men that have it going on. 2) Men on their way to having it going on. 3) Men who have the potential for having it going on.
    Are you the deciding factor regarding MAMIL? Where do I fall on the Kenton-O-Meter?

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 08-15-10 at 03:49 PM.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mamils

Yes I'm a Middle Aged Male In Loose sweatpants and proud of it! I enjoy the female form in Lycra, but other guys "EWWW..." ( borrowed that from my 15 year old daughter) I will say that there is a weight-point where Lycra/spandex is not attractive. Tim

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Ever get any work as John Ritter's stunt double?
    I wish! You're not the first person to notice the apparent photographic similarity. I doubt we'd look alike side-by-side.
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Are you the deciding factor regarding MAMIL? Where do I fall on the Kenton-O-Meter?

Oh now, A.J., are you fishing for compliments? I would suggest that if one is bold enough to ask where they fall on the Kentonometer, they know where they fall!
    Moreover, I am not arrogant enough to speak for all women, I dare say my perceptions would clearly be different than say, that of my 18 yr. old daughter; I am merely master of my own Kentonometer.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    The way I see it, as a 50+ woman, if my mid-life crisis (for women it is given the term "change of life"), is responsible for my taking up cycling, losing 35 lbs.as a result, going back to college to earn a much longed-for degree, and trading in the minivan for a Yaris hatchback (can carry my bike), then my mid-life crisis is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

IMHO, MAMIL fall into one of three categories. 1) Men that have it going on. 2) Men on their way to having it going on. 3) Men who have the potential for having it going on.

The first time I put on a pair bike shorts, I asked my best friend if I looked ridiculous in them. She said, "If you were going to the mall, yes. If you are going for a bike ride--absolutely not." Anyone who thinks that as a middle-aged woman I shouldn't be wearing bike shorts, can kiss my lycra.
    Please don't take this as too forward, miss K, for what I've seen, there are very few women who are not rendered QUITE hot by wearing that amazing garment called lycra bike shorts. And here in Ann Arbor, female wearers and riders go FAR beyond middle age. I'd bet their effect on you is no exception, especially as you describe yourself - a woman who has made herself more trim, muscular, and fit.

As far as we men: thanks for the universally kind words. I clearly don't see men as you do, but for me, it's the comfort and support over a long ride, not the way I look. Besides, however my backside might look, I still have a round fuel supply in front that needs to be used up. It's a bit smaller these days, however!

But, mid-life crisis? I guess so, and Mrs. Road Fan is following me right over the cliff, on her new/old Georgina Terry!
    Last edited by Road Fan; 08-15-10 at 08:58 PM.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I've been wondering the same. Especially since I found one of my favorite jerseys has a tragically located logo that accentuates the problem.

I'll be scouring teh interwebs now for bib shorts with extra "core support".
    Now you know to avoid horizontal stripes. Unless you're built like Andy Schleck, they do no one any favors.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post

I can't vouch for the Kenton-o-meter but on the Red Rider Scale that's hawt!

It takes a real man to be able to rock the lycra and be a total winner. Everyday I'm eternally grateful to be married to such a man.

Congrats on your win, AJ, as well as for scoring high on the RRS.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc_cat View Post
    I wish! You're not the first person to notice the apparent photographic similarity. I doubt we'd look alike side-by-side.
    I hope you don't do a side-by-side anytime soon.

Visit my blog.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    professorbob, except for the losing 30 lb, we have had the same experiences!

Not that I really care, generally; as long as my metabolic numbers stay good, I'm fine with the weight and waistline -- it just gets tougher to find jeans that fit for a good price! My long legs complicate that.

I find myself pulling on the lycra about 1-2x per year (time's coming up soon, too!); during my fall vacation, I take longer solo rides; that's when I think about the stuff. Frankly, though, I can pull off the tights look a lot better.

Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)
    My Bikes
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geeze, man I'm missing the boat here, I'm wearing $20 on sale bike shorts and only have a $500 bike, maybe I should just, give up and hide somewhere Naw, I'm riding, I don't give a hoot what ANYONE thinks about the way I LOOK in bike shorts and that my bike is just a nice entry level machine.
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB, converted to a "comfort bike"! :)

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocc_cat View Post
    Well, ciocc, if ya can't get work as Ritter's double, maybe you can try as H.J. Deutschendorf's...

And yes, there aren't many cycling women that don't look hawt in lycra. I've seen a handful in my area on this forum, and they all qualify.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lycra is just another one of the things in a long list of things I was wrong about when it comes to cycling. It's nice to be 58 and comfortable in a pair of lycra bibs and a sleeveless shirt in a grocery store.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Breezer Citizen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better the middle-aged men squeezed into their Lycra sausage-casings than behind the wheel of a convertible, bald heads glinting in the sun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12