Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-10, 01:34 PM   #26
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post

IMHO, MAMIL fall into one of three categories. 1) Men that have it going on. 2) Men on their way to having it going on. 3) Men who have the potential for having it going on.
Are you the deciding factor regarding MAMIL? Where do I fall on the Kenton-O-Meter?

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 08-15-10 at 02:49 PM.
Allegheny Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 01:37 PM   #27
choteau

Bikes:
Mamils

Yes I'm a Middle Aged Male In Loose sweatpants and proud of it! I enjoy the female form in Lycra, but other guys "EWWW..." ( borrowed that from my 15 year old daughter) I will say that there is a weight-point where Lycra/spandex is not attractive. Tim
choteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 01:40 PM   #28
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: 1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
Ever get any work as John Ritter's stunt double?
I wish! You're not the first person to notice the apparent photographic similarity. I doubt we'd look alike side-by-side.
ciocc_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 07:19 PM   #29
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Are you the deciding factor regarding MAMIL? Where do I fall on the Kenton-O-Meter?

Oh now, A.J., are you fishing for compliments? I would suggest that if one is bold enough to ask where they fall on the Kentonometer, they know where they fall!
Moreover, I am not arrogant enough to speak for all women, I dare say my perceptions would clearly be different than say, that of my 18 yr. old daughter; I am merely master of my own Kentonometer.
miss kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 07:53 PM   #30
Road Fan

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
The way I see it, as a 50+ woman, if my mid-life crisis (for women it is given the term "change of life"), is responsible for my taking up cycling, losing 35 lbs.as a result, going back to college to earn a much longed-for degree, and trading in the minivan for a Yaris hatchback (can carry my bike), then my mid-life crisis is one of the best things that ever happened to me.

IMHO, MAMIL fall into one of three categories. 1) Men that have it going on. 2) Men on their way to having it going on. 3) Men who have the potential for having it going on.

The first time I put on a pair bike shorts, I asked my best friend if I looked ridiculous in them. She said, "If you were going to the mall, yes. If you are going for a bike ride--absolutely not." Anyone who thinks that as a middle-aged woman I shouldn't be wearing bike shorts, can kiss my lycra.
Please don't take this as too forward, miss K, for what I've seen, there are very few women who are not rendered QUITE hot by wearing that amazing garment called lycra bike shorts. And here in Ann Arbor, female wearers and riders go FAR beyond middle age. I'd bet their effect on you is no exception, especially as you describe yourself - a woman who has made herself more trim, muscular, and fit.

As far as we men: thanks for the universally kind words. I clearly don't see men as you do, but for me, it's the comfort and support over a long ride, not the way I look. Besides, however my backside might look, I still have a round fuel supply in front that needs to be used up. It's a bit smaller these days, however!

But, mid-life crisis? I guess so, and Mrs. Road Fan is following me right over the cliff, on her new/old Georgina Terry!

Last edited by Road Fan; 08-15-10 at 07:58 PM.
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 08:42 PM   #31
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsl View Post
I've been wondering the same. Especially since I found one of my favorite jerseys has a tragically located logo that accentuates the problem.

I'll be scouring teh interwebs now for bib shorts with extra "core support".
Now you know to avoid horizontal stripes. Unless you're built like Andy Schleck, they do no one any favors.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 08:46 PM   #32
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post

I can't vouch for the Kenton-o-meter but on the Red Rider Scale that's hawt!

It takes a real man to be able to rock the lycra and be a total winner. Everyday I'm eternally grateful to be married to such a man.

Congrats on your win, AJ, as well as for scoring high on the RRS.
Old 08-15-10, 08:47 PM   #33
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat View Post
I wish! You're not the first person to notice the apparent photographic similarity. I doubt we'd look alike side-by-side.
I hope you don't do a side-by-side anytime soon.
Old 08-15-10, 08:56 PM   #34
DX-MAN
Banned

Bikes:
professorbob, except for the losing 30 lb, we have had the same experiences!

Not that I really care, generally; as long as my metabolic numbers stay good, I'm fine with the weight and waistline -- it just gets tougher to find jeans that fit for a good price! My long legs complicate that.

I find myself pulling on the lycra about 1-2x per year (time's coming up soon, too!); during my fall vacation, I take longer solo rides; that's when I think about the stuff. Frankly, though, I can pull off the tights look a lot better.
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 09:29 PM   #35
bjjoondo 
Old, SLOW bike rider! ;)

Bikes: 1993 Mongoose Switchback MTB
Geeze, man I'm missing the boat here, I'm wearing $20 on sale bike shorts and only have a $500 bike, maybe I should just, give up and hide somewhere Naw, I'm riding, I don't give a hoot what ANYONE thinks about the way I LOOK in bike shorts and that my bike is just a nice entry level machine.
bjjoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-10, 10:57 PM   #36
t4mv
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat View Post
Well, ciocc, if ya can't get work as Ritter's double, maybe you can try as H.J. Deutschendorf's...

And yes, there aren't many cycling women that don't look hawt in lycra. I've seen a handful in my area on this forum, and they all qualify.
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 07:26 AM   #37
Terrierman

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lycra is just another one of the things in a long list of things I was wrong about when it comes to cycling. It's nice to be 58 and comfortable in a pair of lycra bibs and a sleeveless shirt in a grocery store.
Old 08-17-10, 08:00 AM   #38
CitiZen
3speed

Bikes: Breezer Citizen
Better the middle-aged men squeezed into their Lycra sausage-casings than behind the wheel of a convertible, bald heads glinting in the sun.
CitiZen is offline   Reply With Quote