Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2manybikes makes a good point; I would have simply answered, "It's where I BELONG.", though. Not happily, not friendly-like; just straight to it.

My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    How do truckers feel about cyclists?
    What I know I know from over the CB radio and my own observations. I know I never heard any negative thing or remember hearing any thing at all from the other truckers about people riding bikes. On the CB it's constant about the things four wheelers are doing to make life hard for truckers or short for themselves (four wheelers: trucks always win) but never anything about cyclists.

I know I always gave a long range announcement I was sharing the road when I saw a rider and was extra careful at the pass. Hey, what would you do?

A fair amount of truckers lash a bike to the back of the power unit near the back window. I bought (and still use in my car) a folder for times when my hours of service expired or I was stuck because of a mechanical.

Most truckers dread any thing that would cause a problem with delivery. They know they are big powerful and ponderous. Four wheelers are like dangerous insects. Nobody driving professionally would want to injure a cyclist because on a very selfish level it would ruin their day.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    One
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
    Having driven a 18 wheeler over the road I can state with authority that commercial drivers look upon four wheelers as dangerously stupid and totally untrustworthy. This is demonstrated many times on any truckers workday. Truckers do have a LOT of patience with autos. They can be less tolerant of incompetent fellow truckers.
    Having driven an 18 wheeler myself to pay the bills I will agree. Professionals have to compete with amateurs, name another career necessitating that. You have to have a command of the signs, local laws, anticipation, stopping distance......just like a biker, the cars stop on a dime, cruise through stop signs and red lights and assume a command of the road. Few even know what a red yield sign really means. So bikers are more closely aligned to truckers than anyone else as both have to look out for the yahoo texting or being a phone drunk. A collision in a TT or a bike are severe, one because of mass the other because of lack of protection cars have.

Very few car drivers could pass my test on a closed course, they just haven't got the brain for transportation.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMade View Post
    Professionals have to compete with amateurs, name another career necessitating that.
    Photography.

Just to get started.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PAlt View Post
    jppe- Interesting timing on your post. Yesterday, while eating my post ride lunch at the Blue Ridge Brutal, an organized century in West Jefferson, NC (this for the benefit of those who don't know the ride or area, jppe is very familiar), I had occasion to speak with the ride director. Among the many things we discussed, she brought up the fact that she felt like the ride organizers needed to do a better job informing the local folks that it was OK to pass riders on a road with a double yellow line. She also mentioned how grateful those same local folks were that we, as riders, traveled to the area for the ride and to do training rides as well. They recognized that we were helping to support the local economy. So perhaps all hope isn't lost...
    Would agree and supports my observations from people that live in more rural areas, including those around the areas we ride where we live. People in the larger populated areas where there is more traffic congestion look for things to complain about.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Bud. I read your counter rant. Nice piece of prose, there. Compliments from a fellow Texan exiled to California.

Jed
    2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Photography.

Just to get started.
    And then there's golf but only as a bit of spice...

Junior Mint
    My Bikes
    Trek 830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photography.

Just to get started.
    Graphic design. Just about anything having to do with computers. Publishing--editing, copyediting, proofreading. Even tradesmen who need to be licensed lose business to amateurs. Actually, just about any business at all, someone totally unqualified will be trying to undercut you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    Give it a read, if you dare.
    Now that was a rant! I'll bet those bubba's are looking at their shoes thinking "Shucks, I never thought..."

Good looking fish, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of replies came to mind after reading this:

"Aw shucks, your just upset cause my bike is worth more than your car".

"You need to get a copy of the state motor code. Guess what bikes have the same rights as autos and the people that ride them pay taxes too."

My Bikes
    One
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photography.

Just to get started.
    You actually feel they compete? A blind squirrel trips over an acorn once in a while, but professional photographers know how to work it all to succeed and over the long haul it's not much of a contest. I don't see much competition. Just like all the cool tools at the Home depotty, it won't make you good you can just screw up a lot of material a lot quicker. 8)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cyclists are just part of a long list that many people hate. It's not personal.

Junior Mint
    My Bikes
    Trek 830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You actually feel they compete? ... Just like all the cool tools at the Home depotty, it won't make you good you can just screw up a lot of material a lot quicker. 8)
    A lot of potential clients will say, "You charge how much? My nephew is good with a camera/computer/etc. He'll do it for free." You'd be surprised at how many people don't think skill and experience are worth paying for, not to mention investment in tools and materials, etc. And yet these same people probably complain about how much they are paid for their own work.

Can you imagine a situation where a town built a new bridge, and the Mayor announced, "and the best part is, my nephew designed it for free!" Would you drive over it?

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCruiskeen View Post
    Can you imagine a situation where a town built a new bridge, and the Mayor announced, "and the best part is, my nephew designed it for free!" Would you drive over it?
    I sure wouldn't be the first! I'd let ahsposo or AmericanMade take loaded trucks over it a few times first, then maybe I'd consider it.
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

Junior Mint
    My Bikes
    Trek 830
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very few car drivers could pass my test on a closed course, they just haven't got the brain for transportation.
    This is why I worry most when I see a rental truck, like a U-haul or a Ryder. I have to assume there's a good chance the driver is not used to handling a big truck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might just be me, but I'd be hard pressed to call this particular encounter a confrontation. I'd sooner have people say what they're thinking than keep things bottled up until they explode.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd sooner have people say what they're thinking than keep things bottled up until they explode
    We wouldn't want this to happen!!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-16-10 at 09:39 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remind him that some of that gas money goes to the Taliban to buy IEDs and ask how many miles he gets per gallon of American blood.

Works for me.

Paul

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was trying to pick you up.

Groceries are traditional trolling grounds. He found you "traffic stopping" attractive.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    We wouldn't want this to happen!!

At least not until I get my camera.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    pre 1990 refurbished junk
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being in the trucking industry and having driven many miles in Northern Canada on bush roads and pavement, I would have to agree that its the four wheelers that are the most dangerous. As a cyclist, anything with more horsepower than me is a threat. I ride to church on Sunday morning (28.5 km) and last Sunday didn't see anything but cars and trucks. The truckers slowed down as they passed, the four wheelers didn't. I'll take a professional driver anyday over a cell phone using, coffee drinking, cigarette smoking SUV driver. I have the word Kenworth on one of my vehicles and Raleigh on the other.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should get along. We have a common enemy.
    I've been driving everything up to 34 wheelers for over 35 of the last 39 years, with something approaching 4 million miles of road covered. I've also done a fair bit of highway cycling in that time, and have had nothing I would call a negative experience with a big truck in that time. Couldn't say the same about gravel trucks or 4 wheelers though.
    I run the Tans Canada Highway quite a bit between the prairies and eastern Canada, and this time of year, there are lots of cyclists on that route.
    In many places in northern Ontario, the road is quite narrow and curvey, with poor sight lines, and you will frequently get a heads up on the CB from a driver going the other way about cyclists ahead. I always give the same alerts.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncletommy View Post
    Being in the trucking industry and having driven many miles in Northern Canada on bush roads and pavement, I would have to agree that its the four wheelers that are the most dangerous. As a cyclist, anything with more horsepower than me is a threat. I ride to church on Sunday morning (28.5 km) and last Sunday didn't see anything but cars and trucks. The truckers slowed down as they passed, the four wheelers didn't. I'll take a professional driver anyday over a cell phone using, coffee drinking, cigarette smoking SUV driver. I have the word Kenworth on one of my vehicles and Raleigh on the other.
    Hey uncletommy, welcome to the forums from a fellow gearjammer. I haven't done much bush road trucking, but I have run the winter road in the NWT.
    Strictly highway these days though.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    He was trying to pick you up.

Groceries are traditional trolling grounds. He found you "traffic stopping" attractive.
    NOW I know why my partner is always glad to go after the groceries.
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

Homophobia is so gay.

My Bikes
    One
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCruiskeen View Post
    This is why I worry most when I see a rental truck, like a U-haul or a Ryder. I have to assume there's a good chance the driver is not used to handling a big truck.
    Absolutely agree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast