Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Bikes
    One
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdmjr View Post
    I sure wouldn't be the first! I'd let ahsposo or AmericanMade take loaded trucks over it a few times first, then maybe I'd consider it.
    - Bob
    Let me take a good look at it first. Hopefully the Mayor at least sent junior to engineering school. If he was an art major I'd just stand there and take it all in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bud Bent,

Nice Rant!
    Well said.
    Give 'em Hell!

Jeff, still fat

My Bikes
    '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    How do truckers feel about cyclists?
    IANAT, but my experience is that truckers are very understanding about cyclists. A loaded truck is about as hard to get underway as a bike, and they are quite conscious of taking the lane when they prepare for tight turns and parking situations.

I frequently have them follow me patiently at 16-20mph until they have a chance to pass or turn off.

However, I had one tanker-driver who beat me to the right lane at a stop light by right-hooking me. I could hear him accelerate behind me and I stayed a couple of feet away from the trailer as he edged me over and slowly came to a stop.
    Last edited by Wake; 08-16-10 at 07:24 PM. Reason: sp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear the inside view from REAL truck drivers.

My experience with truckers is limited because I usually ride on back roads and seldom on highways. I've never, however, had a problem with any professional drivers.

Cars, pick-up-trucks, SUV's, etc., now that's a whole different story.

RKW
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, old Rockhopper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sister always says "Lord, grant me the strength to not slap an idiot today."

The scariest rigs might be the long motor homes pulling a car. It should take a Commercial Driver's License to operate one of those.
    I used to brag about how late I stayed up, now I brag about how early I went to bed.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IN heavy traffic or on a narrow bridge I need to take the lane once in a while. Non cyclists or inexperienced riders think I'm nuts because I'll get in front of an eighteen wheeler (me using careful, correct, hand signals and seeing them in the mirror all the time) before a car. The truck drivers always understand my hand signals and never get impatient with me. As the law requires, when I get to a safe place to move over and let them pass I do, and I wave them past me. When I have a chance I thank them.
    I never had any confusion or problems with any commercial truck drivers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had the same experience with truckers driving through town, they will stay behind me going 15- 20 mph until its safe to pass put people in cars/trucks never will. The worst drivers are usually those in giant pickup trucks or pulling trailers. they have no idea how big there vehicles are or how close they come to running you over

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123