Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Confronted in a Grocery Store of All Places

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 11:21 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Yesterday I set out to do a solo 100 miler and stopped a mile from the house at our local grocery store to pick up a couple bananas. A fella in his 40's in front of me in the check out line turned after he had paid and asked "Are you going to be riding in the road?" I quickly and happily replied Yes Sir!! His snide comment made in an unfavorable tone was "Well I guess you'll be stopping traffic".

It ticked me off that he didn't even have the guts to look at me when he made the remark. He had turned and was walking away. I somewhat mockingly hollared back "you have not seen how fast I ride!".

Maybe the fella was just upset because his wife had sent him out to buy groceries.

I fear it's not getting any better in these parts. There have been more editorials in the local paper with both cyclists and motorists exchanging blows. I guess I'm not helping but just had to vent a little. I'm personally very careful and attentive to not be a bother to traffic for my own personal safety reasons but recognize I'm identified by the group at large.

And I suppose that when doing larger organized group rides I DO contribute to the issue....
Old 08-15-10, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's something that we all have to deal with from time to time. We're not going to educate people who hate cyclists. The best we can do is obey the rules of the road, ride defensively, and hope for the best.
Old 08-15-10, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
"I won't be 'stopping' traffic, I will BE traffic."

"I'll use exclusively 'bicycle' facilities when you use exclusively the Interstate."
Old 08-15-10, 12:29 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Fortunately, my commutes are short enough that I can wear street clothing, and then I can have a minimal of cycling outerwear that I can leave with the bike when I enter a store. I've noticed the difference in clerks' and customers' attitudes when I wear cycling gear inside a store, and when I don't.
Old 08-15-10, 12:47 PM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
There's nothing you can do. If you engage the person in any way you are only fueling the rage.

You won't have any opportunity to reason, or otherwise persuade anyone, so why try? You are better off saying "have a good one, see ya later" than starting a talk with an "RC........."
Old 08-15-10, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Marin Larkspur

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Yes, sir, don't worry about that! I've read the law carefully, and you won't catch me riding unsafely- I promise you that I'll ride on the road, like a safe cyclist should. Thanks for your interest in bike safety- are you a cyclist, too?"
Old 08-15-10, 01:42 PM

Bikes: One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue

"I'll use exclusively 'bicycle' facilities when you use exclusively the Interstate."
The Interstates are for defense and Interstate commerce. The cars are the "bikes" of the Interstate. They are allowed and, despite them being the root cause for a large amount of tractor trailer crashes, the truckers don't have that same uneducated attitude....if they did the Interstate would be a very, very ugly place.
Old 08-15-10, 01:42 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes - I'm getting in early start for when we run out of gasoline. Care to join me?
Old 08-15-10, 01:48 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
We need to rephrase the issue.

"Actually I have no conflicts whatever with the overwhelming majority of motorists."
Old 08-15-10, 01:55 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"You flatter me sir. I didn't think I was THAT good looking!"
Old 08-15-10, 02:01 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Yes I am, you better buy a paper to read while you are waiting on me"
I dunno but there really isn't anything to say that will change the minds of the mindless.
Old 08-15-10, 03:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue

Wouldn't work around here.

With our sparcity of roads over our mountain passes and north and south along the front range, a lot of mileage on the interstates is open to bicycle traffic, being the only way to get from point A to point B
Old 08-15-10, 04:59 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I bet the wife sent him to pick up some "feminine hygiene" products. That makes me irritable. Kinda like when my dad would send me out for his "cigs."

I like hitting the stop lights at the same time as the petro burners do. If I make 4-5 lights with traffic, its a minor victory.

BTW-how was the personal century?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-15-10, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I have it better than some , Arcata is a town that promotes alternative methods of transportation ...
Its a very bike friendly community , but head north or south and all bets are off ...
Old 08-15-10, 05:31 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
Originally Posted by AmericanMade
The Interstates are for defense and Interstate commerce. The cars are the "bikes" of the Interstate. They are allowed and, despite them being the root cause for a large amount of tractor trailer crashes, the truckers don't have that same uneducated attitude....if they did the Interstate would be a very, very ugly place.
Having driven a 18 wheeler over the road I can state with authority that commercial drivers look upon four wheelers as dangerously stupid and totally untrustworthy. This is demonstrated many times on any truckers workday. Truckers do have a LOT of patience with autos. They can be less tolerant of incompetent fellow truckers.
Old 08-15-10, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
Having driven a 18 wheeler over the road I can state with authority that commercial drivers look upon four wheelers as dangerously stupid and totally untrustworthy. This is demonstrated many times on any truckers workday. Truckers do have a LOT of patience with autos. They can be less tolerant of incompetent fellow truckers.
How do truckers feel about cyclists?
Old 08-15-10, 05:56 PM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Yesterday I set out to do a solo 100 miler and stopped a mile from the house at our local grocery store to pick up a couple bananas. A fella in his 40's in front of me in the check out line turned after he had paid and asked "Are you going to be riding in the road?"
If it was me in line I would have said "you're not going to throw the banana skins on the side of the road are you?" This is a real pet peeve of mine ...
Old 08-15-10, 06:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"In a hurry to get to your next heart attack?"
Old 08-15-10, 06:13 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5453 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
When I do take the lane and cause a trailing car to slow down momentarily, I give them a "thank you" wave as they go by. I think that helps.
Old 08-15-10, 06:20 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe- Interesting timing on your post. Yesterday, while eating my post ride lunch at the Blue Ridge Brutal, an organized century in West Jefferson, NC (this for the benefit of those who don't know the ride or area, jppe is very familiar), I had occasion to speak with the ride director. Among the many things we discussed, she brought up the fact that she felt like the ride organizers needed to do a better job informing the local folks that it was OK to pass riders on a road with a double yellow line. She also mentioned how grateful those same local folks were that we, as riders, traveled to the area for the ride and to do training rides as well. They recognized that we were helping to support the local economy. So perhaps all hope isn't lost...
Old 08-15-10, 06:30 PM
'47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't take his animosity personally, JPPE. Chances are he has a long list of people, things, ideas that he hates. You may be only, like, maybe #237 on the list. Above brussels sprouts but below his mother-in-law or ex-wife. Your remark maybe moved you up a few notches, but it wasn't pointed enough to break #200. You're just too nice a guy.
Old 08-15-10, 06:46 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Jerks can be found anywhere.
Old 08-15-10, 07:10 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really bad here, too. In case I don't see it enough on the road, one of my other hangouts, the Texas Fishing Forum, has to be pretty much the most anti-cyclist place around. The typical forum member drives 50 miles each way to work, then drives 100 miles to fish on Saturday, then 100 miles the opposite direction to fish on Sunday. They pretty much live in their vehicles. My practice of riding to work and fishing close to home is definitely not the norm.

Anyway, I made the mistake of visiting the Off Topic section regularly, and there was almost a weekly rant about cyclists. I finally just gave up reading there, but before I left, I posted A Cyclist's Counter Rant. I was a bit surprised that none of the anti-cyclist ranters had to guts to reply. Give it a read, if you dare.
Old 08-15-10, 07:15 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
If you reply with "Why do you ask?" you might get more information you can use to make him feel stupid. The one who asks the questions controls the conversation.
Old 08-15-10, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
It's really bad here, too. In case I don't see it enough on the road, one of my other hangouts, the Texas Fishing Forum, has to be pretty much the most anti-cyclist place around. The typical forum member drives 50 miles each way to work, then drives 100 miles to fish on Saturday, then 100 miles the opposite direction to fish on Sunday. They pretty much live in their vehicles. My practice of riding to work and fishing close to home is definitely not the norm.

Anyway, I made the mistake of visiting the Off Topic section regularly, and there was almost a weekly rant about cyclists. I finally just gave up reading there, but before I left, I posted A Cyclist's Counter Rant. I was a bit surprised that none of the anti-cyclist ranters had to guts to reply. Give it a read, if you dare.
Holy smokes, BB, you're really givin' it to 'em. Nice rant! Aren't you worried about a brick through your window at home, or even worse...an Easy Rider encounter?

I really admire your bal...um...I mean - guts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.