Thread: Ididaride 2010

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ididaride 2010

Today was the annual Ididaride - Adirondack bike tour. This is the third year I have done it and it keeps getting bigger. This year over 300 riders. This is one of my favorite organized ride. They do a great job, it is a challenging course - 75 miles and 6800' of climbing and almost no flat terrain.

The ride starts from the North Creek Ski Bowl where they set up food & drinks for the morning and a big BBQ at the end.

The start was at 8:30AM and quickly gets into the first climb - a long 10 mile ascent.
    This is the first rest area after the climb.

I waited here a bit for my friends to show up. We had gotten spread out at the start.

The next rest stop I hit was in Indian Lake just about 17 miles from the finish. I was riding with a pretty fast group and we did not stop at the second rest area or the last. Note the brand new (5 days old) Trek Project bike in white, of course I was riding the 15 YO steel Simoncini resting up against the sign.

Last year I was lucky and found someone to ride with & draft for most of the ride, this year I was a little faster, not quite fast enough for the best riders but not slow enough to stick with the next pack back. For most of the ride I was solo with no opportunity to draft. The average for this year was 17.1 with a max speed of 47mph on the last descent. I actually think my average last year was within a tenth or so - but again, I had a few other riders to share the work load - I just couldn't get it together this year.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report. I feel bad that I missed it. Maybe next year...

Did you miss all the rain today?

And 17.1 average is nothing to complain about. I have to hustle to maintain that on my flat commutes. If I'm to ride with you next year, I'll have to work on my speed.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post. Since life and 'Old man Ailments' heve sidelined my cycling recently, vicarious riding has taken on a whole new meaning.

I expecially enjoyed seeing the Easy Racer LWB in the first pic.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Thanks for the report. I feel bad that I missed it. Maybe next year...

Did you miss all the rain today?

And 17.1 average is nothing to complain about. I have to hustle to maintain that on my flat commutes. If I'm to ride with you next year, I'll have to work on my speed.
    Bruce,

I was very happy with my performance. My training buddy rides this ride as well. He is a very strong rider - carries 40 lbs less than I do and is a very good climber. Although he finished before I did, he only stopped for a minute at the last rest stop to meet his wife. When we got back we compared notes - his average was the same as mine, he did mention that he didn't think he could have gone much faster. When did see him from time to time during the ride he was sharing the work with another rider - I was mostly working on my own.

We missed the rain during the ride - it didn't start to drizzle until about 3. Because of the cool temps and cloud cover I only consumer 2 lg water bottles, one trail mix bar, 1/2 a bannana and about 30% of a flask oh hammer gel.

I was sorry to hear when you couldn't make it - the ride is getting interesting now that a few of the competitive riders are finding it. This year was the first time I saw a few teams with team kit. I also saw riders warming up in the parking lot on trainers like this was a timed race. You gotta be kidding.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Thanks for the post. Since life and 'Old man Ailments' heve sidelined my cycling recently, vicarious riding has taken on a whole new meaning.

I expecially enjoyed seeing the Easy Racer LWB in the first pic.
    Lenny,

I never saw the bent on the course. I did see a couple of tandems, one was really fast.
    Heal up dude, you don't need the aches & pains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the thread title I didn't read carefully enough. I thought it was a Real Ride; the Iditaride. Amazing the difference one letter can make, eh?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    When I saw the thread title I didn't read carefully enough. I thought it was a Real Ride; the Iditaride. Amazing the difference one letter can make, eh?
    Huh? - Well I rode it and it sure felt real to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowzers. That average speed is way, way out of my league; especially on a course like that.
    WTG.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the avg is good considering 6800 ft and mostly soloing. I would be happy.
    It looked/looks like a cool ride.
    no goals , just ride