User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike friendly businesses

At Frager's Hardware on Capitol Hill DC there are always a few bikes at the bike racks as neighbors stop by for this and that. I recently noticed that they keep a tire pump chained up by the door. Anybody have a favorite business story?
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can actually do what this store does but in a different way. If we all carried a floor pump in our car trunk, we can help riders with low tire pressures.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trader Joe's seems to be a very bike friendly company. Bike racks outside all the stores I have been in; Cambridge, Newton, Arlington. The Arlington TJ's has a staircase from their parking lot, right down to the minuteman bikeway. A sign on the bikeway indicates the staircase goes right up to TJ's. They seem to know their customers.

Watertown savings bank seems bike friendly, but not all locations have bike racks. I do not know what their policy is, regarding going through the drive thru window on a bike. Never seen anyone do it.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that a REAL bike-friendly place would not necessarily have racks out front; the subtext is "leave your bikes outside!" No, a real bike-friendly business would invite you to bring your bike inside, maybe hang it up on a hook, or leave it in a secure alcove inside the place. When I was living in Oakland, CA, there was a pub in Berkeley where you could go in with your bike and hang it on the ceiling while you had drinks.

I like bike shops where - although they've got racks outside - they expect you to wheel your bike inside and lean it against the counter, or they have racks inside the shop (and if they're smart, the racks are for sale). In Vancouver, such a place is La Bicicleta!, down the street from Mountain Equipment Co-op on Broadway. Mountain Equipment (MEC) has lots of racks outside, and they even have U-locks you can borrow to lock up your bike.

At the opposite extreme, Costco has no bike racks, or the bike racks are located the length of the store/warehouse (a mile or so) from the front door. We need to start parking cargo bikes near the doors just to see if they start accommodating us...

Luis

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I would think that a REAL bike-friendly place would not necessarily have racks out front; the subtext is "leave your bikes outside!" No, a real bike-friendly business would invite you to bring your bike inside, maybe hang it up on a hook, or leave it in a secure alcove inside the place. When I was living in Oakland, CA, there was a pub in Berkeley where you could go in with your bike and hang it on the ceiling while you had drinks.

I like bike shops where - although they've got racks outside - they expect you to wheel your bike inside and lean it against the counter, or they have racks inside the shop (and if they're smart, the racks are for sale). In Vancouver, such a place is La Bicicleta!, down the street from Mountain Equipment Co-op on Broadway. Mountain Equipment (MEC) has lots of racks outside, and they even have U-locks you can borrow to lock up your bike.

At the opposite extreme, Costco has no bike racks, or the bike racks are located the length of the store/warehouse (a mile or so) from the front door. We need to start parking cargo bikes near the doors just to see if they start accommodating us...

Luis

Good points / observations. But, in a typical retail store, space is always at a premium, and there are always those nagging questions on liability. I would think that would work into the equation somehow.

Red Bones Barbeque is probably about as bike friendly as they come, as restaurants go. Evenings, they provide valet bike parking. Yep, you read that correctly. They will gladly park your bike in their office building across the street. Oh yes.... Red Bones serves Tower Root Beer! Life is good.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.