User Tag List

My Bikes
    Carmel low-entry by Specialized/Globe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small bike for big girl with short legs

Yesterday I went to a shop of re-vamped bikes; no luck. The fellow there suggested I try a small bike (20" or 24") -- for the sake of stability (getting on and off). I am 5'2"; my height is not in my legs and so getting on a 26" bike (usually what folks my height ride) is a bit of a feat.

This may be the interim solution. What do you think?

pmhlb

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old Man Maine

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter is the opposite - not very tall, but very long legs. She rides an older bike made by Terry which has a 700C rear wheel and a 24" front wheel, which allows for a short top tube. What do you want to do with this new bike? - if riding short distances, perhaps a cruiser style bike would work for you, if you are looking for something to ride long distances, perhaps a Mixte like the rivendell Betty Foy?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late View Post
    Exactly what I was going to suggest. Attached is my Giant OCR in XS size. See the height of the saddle in relationship to the frame?????? That saddle can go Waaaaaaaaay down. And on top of that- I had to fit a high rise stem that was longer- just so I could ride it.

That is for a 30" inseam and these bikes come in WSD aswell.

B3..jpg

And that bike used to be loaned out to a lad with 26" inseam and only 4'10 tall. He has grown a bit now but at 5'8" and 32" inseam he can still ride it----But I won't let him. Every time I take him out he beats me up the hills.

This type of bike and Frame size also come in a straight bar version called the Dash and is WSD again.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/....0/3876/36258/
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-16-10 at 11:13 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd try folding bikes; they offer far more adjustability than conventional bikes and many can fit really tiny riders, even kids. Poke around the Folding Bikes forum and learn about them. There are quite a few threads on this subject in there.