Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddles with long rails

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 04:22 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

G'day all,

yes, I have been hanging around, just not logging in and posting.

I'm currently putting together the specs for my new bike - a custom built Hillbrick frame - double butted Columbus steel tubing, chromed lugs, classic drops with modern style brake levers, fixed gear

Anyways, I'll be needing a saddle - Brooks of course. The B17 features those short rails which limits adjustability a tad. I've been reliably informed that two Brooks models feature longer rails ... but my memory is being unreliable and I can't remember which ones they are.

So, does anyone know which of the Brooks saddles has the long rails? (not the sprung ones)
Can they be got without paying for the titanium rails?

Richard
Old 08-18-10, 10:31 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hello, stranger. I am not aware of such a Brooks model, but that doesn't mean there is not such a thing.
Dumb question - Since you are having a custom frame built, can't you make sure the builder builds it such that you can get the proper fit within the adjustment range of the saddle you want to use?
Old 08-18-10, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The Selle An-Atomica saddle has longer rails than a Brooks. It's also a great saddle if you're a Brooks fan.
Old 08-19-10, 02:28 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Hello, stranger. I am not aware of such a Brooks model, but that doesn't mean there is not such a thing.
Bugga

Dumb question - Since you are having a custom frame built, can't you make sure the builder builds it such that you can get the proper fit within the adjustment range of the saddle you want to use?
Not dumb at all, and it's been considered. I guess I'm just a little paranoid having run out of movement on the B17 before. Actually, it's nothing a seat post with more setback can't cure.

Tis exciting, this business of 'your own' bike. Hillbrick have been making racing frames since the 70's and do a very good job. I don't know how long they've been doing more road orientated frames, but they're a welcome addition.

Richard
Old 08-19-10, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have an answer to your question, Europa, but glad to see you're posting again.
Old 08-19-10, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Europa, I'm not aware of any current day (or older) Brooks with long rails. BengeBoy's suggestion might be worth looking at.
Old 08-21-10, 12:04 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like I've been reliably misinformed with the rail lengths

That's cool. It hasn't stopped me looking at all the Brooks models though. How on earth do you decide which one to buy? I've got two B17s and they're lovely, so the boring move is to buy another one, but ... Pity Brooks doesn't offer some guidance as to the different uses of their saddles ... or maybe it doesn't make any difference

Any thoughts?
Bike'll have drop bars set at or just below the saddle with me using the drops for fighting headwinds.

And yes, I have no problems with simply buying another B17.

Richard
Old 08-22-10, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks saddles with long rails.

I think that this subject has been chewed over on various forums here before, but perhaps I can reprise?

The Swallow has slightly more setback than any of the other current unsprung models, but the difference is only just over one centimetre (excepting in the case of the Champion Sprinter, whicn has only about 5mm. less setback - but who's daft enough to want one of THOSE?). However, that extra 1cm. might make the vital difference to some?

The Swift has the same length of parallel rail as the Swallow (about 7 1/2cm.), but, as it's frame is about 1cm. shorter than the Swallow, there is virtually no setback advantage.

I haven't measured the frame of the new Colt model, but I'd guess that it's the same as the current Swift - the original Colt has a frame that's the same size as (but slightly different shape from) the earlier Swift, which has less setback than the current model.

If you want a Brooks saddle with signifiacantiy greater setback, I'm afraid that you'll have to invest quite alot of money in a fifty year old B.17 Competition Standard (Campagnolo Special) model - one such (NOS) was unsold on eBay last night at an opening price just shy of $600.00, and this didn't include the all-important unique seat-pin hardware, either. But be warned; these Campagnolo Specials had special problems of their own - which is why they're relatively uncommon these days.
Old 08-22-10, 09:06 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Having more rail available to slide the saddle back further is nice if you need to make up for having a bike frame that does not provide quite enough steback to fit you perfectly. This should not be a problem with a custom built frame, especially if the builder knows the desired dimension and the saddle choice in advance. Having to slide a saddle, even a Brooks, back as far as possible is a sure sign that the frame is not ideally fitted to the rider. I would make it clear to the builder that I want my bike to fit me with the saddle in the middle of its adjustment range.
Old 08-22-10, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easiest solution I found was to get a setpost with additional setback. Easton used to make an inexpensive aluminum post with extra SB, as did CLB - https://www.wallbike.com/seatposts/clb.html

Solved my saddle position with my B17's.

SB
Old 08-22-10, 10:11 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Velo Orange says their model 3 has 10mm more rail space than a B-17 and is very similar. And hey it's made with Australian cowhide too!
Old 08-24-10, 02:58 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies

Now the decision

Probably need to drink more

Richard