User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't try this at home. Seriously.

Yesterday I saw a cyclist get hit by a car and almost get killed, save for the cyclist's youth, athleticism, and probably an ample dose of Providential protection.

The cyclist was my 19 year old son.

Tom is leaving for his sophomore year of college this Sunday and we wanted to get a ride in before he left. We took what should have been a perfectly safe route along the river and then back up to the car, which involved cycling through Seneca Park.

With 26 miles under our belts and one more to go, we had a Fred blast by us. I don't care abut that sort of thing, but it offended my son and he took chase.

We approached a busy three-way intersection that has a convergence of bike lanes, a golf cart path, and lots of motorists who try to cut five minutes off their commute by cutting through a park teeming in mid-afternoon with joggers and cyclists.

Tom went through the intersection, but a driver did not see him and T-boned him, with me about 20 yards back. He first bounced off the hood and then slammed into the windshield.

I looked on in horror as he was tossed about five feet in the air. The impact ripped the bike from under his pedals (he uses SPD's, as I do).

Much to everyone's amazement, he landed on his feet. It was one of the most incredible moves I've ever seen. He was able to get on the side of the road, with a huge gash on his forearm that was bleeding fairly vigorously. I compressed it and it stopped. Frankly it reminded me of Saving Private Ryan, my son asking me how bad it was and me saying "Just don't look at it".

We were instantly surrounded by onlookers who helped by getting extra towels, water, calling 911etc. Within five or ten minutes the police and an ambulance were there. They put him on the body board and off they went.

The offending driver was badly shaken and sobbing hysterically for about ten minutes but calmed down when we assured her that he would be fine. Her car was undriveable as the windshield was destroyed.

Tom was in the ER for about six hours. A hand surgeon was called in because to gash was low on the forearm and pretty deep. Fortunately there was no tendon injury and no broken bones.

I had bought Tom a BD Motobecane steel single speed. As best as I can tell, the frame is intact. The front wheel is beyond repair, and the rear wheel is either going to need to be rebuilt or replaced. I'll probably just replace it.

Now, if this isn't surreal enough, the commotion tossed my oldest daughter into labor and at 4:30 AM today she delivered a healthy little baby girl.

So in a very weird way it was worth it.

Sorry, no blood and guts photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Life IS a glorious crapshoot, aint it?

Glad your son came out alright. Cheers for that.
    Lets hope he decides against chasing Fred, next time.
    Last edited by dahut; 08-20-10 at 08:06 PM.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

On Some Far Away Beach After the Season is Over...
    My Bikes
    A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ****!

I am glad he's OK!

And Congratulations on the GB!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    If I gotta look up words, it's not worth my time.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a wonderful picture to conclude your story with.
    Glad things turned out as well as they did. Is college delayed a few days?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! So glad he is okay and not the worst case. That must have been so hard to watch. I think about this excat case when I ride with my brother, which is seldom to be honest, but to watch something like happen in front of you, wow!

Congrats on the newborn too! Cute little thing.

This is sort of weird because I was going to post about where have you been, have not seen you around lately.
    no goals , just ride

17yrold in 64yrold body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your son's accident, but glad he will be OK. As far as the bike, it is repairable/replaceable. Sons, however....

My Bikes
    Specialized Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a story. I really do not like riding with my wife cause I worry, from time to time, about seeing a collision. Much rather it be me than her. Anyway, congrats on the grandbaby.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a day you've had TWL. Almost loosing one family member then getting a new one. I hope you son heals up quickly and daughter and new born come home soon.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must have been an incredibly terrifying thing to see. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did.
    Congratulations on the new granddaughter!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad your back from the bout with the moved thread. No harm - no fowl.

Now to the post - man I am soo happy you son survived intact.

Now for the new grandchild - congrats!

Man what a few days!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, TWL, talk about a roller coaster day. Wow!

Thankfully, Tom wasn't hurt too badly; and you have a beautiful new granddaughter. Congratulations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad Tom made it through with no more severe injuries than he had, and I hope he recovers quickly. If one were going to have a crash, one could do worse than having a practicing physician 20 yards away. I'm glad you posted this, as it is a good reminder to us all.

Congratulations on your latest upgrade in grand-pappy status. What a cutie!

Get some rest and kick back a little.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an incredible story! Congratulations on such a fortuitous turn of events! I'm happy to hear your son is okay and see your beautiful granddaughter. Mommy is beautiful, too! I'll bet you'll lie in bed tonight giving thanks! Again, Congratulations!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy smokes. B-Dawg, your son - the dangers of this sport seem to be hitting a bit close to home around here.

Be sure he talks to a lawyer. With the settlement he'll be able to buy a bike with a few more gears. Maybe 3 or even 5.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow, I know that would have scared the crap out of me too. I glad everything turned out well.
    Maybe some lessons were learned from this accident. Everybody is driving like they have 5 minutes left to live.
    Better take him to church Sunday.
    George

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't expecting that ending at all!
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My own worst nightmare
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nickname for the new ground-pounder: T-Bone. She's already got a story to tell her grandkids one day.

Actually surviving an experience like this, and it becoming a "life lesson" - yeah, that's the definition of Providence. Prayers for a full and speedy recovery, and let's hope the car driver finds some peace. It may actually bring her some comfort to contact her and let her know about the granddaughter-iferous epilogue.

What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow. I feel obligated to say something but there is no way I (or, I suspect, any of us) could really know how you felt. A life spared and a new one introduced to the world in one day. It is too bad that it required so much anxiety for you and pain for you son. May he recover quickly. May you recover quickly. Be thankful. I don't know you personally but I feel thankful that it worked out as well as it did for you both.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Jimmuller said.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=The Weak Link;11325968]
    my oldest daughter into labor and at 4:30 AM today she delivered a healthy little baby girl.

/QUOTE]

That is One Nice Photo......
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what a day!
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude!

The horror you went through witnessing that impact! I wouldn't wish a moment like that on anyone!

Thank goodness, and your medical expertise of course, that he's as well off as he is.

Congrats on the new addition to your fortunate and blessed family!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wishing your son a speedy and complete recovery.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad your son is going to be OK. Hope he mends well. Very nice picture of your granddaughter. Today on the way home i almost t-boned a fred on a cruiser. 4 way stop, i stopped then the car to my right stopped after i did, i started through after a few feet this guy comes from the right rear of the stopped car and blows right through the stop sign and cuts right in front of me. I managed to stop inches from him and he gets all upset! I could have had him in my wind shield or under my bumper. It kind of shook me up. After reading what happened to your son i could only imagine the distress you felt seeing him in the air. Ride safe.

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned saving Private Ryan, landing on his feet and a new baby. I feel , I feel , a country western song in this some where.

Hi I am the owner of a circus we are always looking for new tallent.

My son had a engine failure in the glider tow plane he was flying. He landed safely in a field dead stick ( he was in a ag wagon )

Any Who I get a email about the landing and then the email cocludes with Then we went to see Saving Private Ryan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast