Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Gentle ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentle ride.

Occasionally I do the commute back from work by cycle. Normally before a holiday but 30 miles on our terrain should be commonplace for me. This year it hasn't been the case so I was a little daunted by the prospect of a long ride on unused legs and an unfit body.

So 10am and I had finished up tidying bits of paper and time to start home.5 miles along the Brighton Seafront and took it steady. around 16mph and comfortable but after 1 mile a couple of younger riders passed me on their Willier bikes. You know the type- 120 cadence- head below their knees and they were going for it as they passed me. Kept my 16mph and really annoyed them in the next 4 miles. Plenty of Traffic lights that for some reason they caught and I didn't. Got to the end of the front just behind them and I started on my commute. Not much to say for the next 5 miles or so except that Brighton has the cycle trails really susssed out now. Wide paths marked for Bikes and if you go on the roads then the cycle lane is 4ft wide and kept clear of cars. Got to Falmer and this pic is for Wobbly.

Guniv..jpg

His daughter is at Sussex University but last time I missed the entrance and just had to post a sign to it. 5 miles further up and it was Lewes- the county town of Sussex. Olde Worlde town but I was going to stop down by the river in an area called Cliffe. Glad I did. There was a small market just about to be set up and a couple of Buskers. I had to pull myself away from them 30 minutes later as I had a ride to finish.

Bit different to the normal Type of busker we get over here- I liked these but Lewes in one of the upper crust Towns. Couple of views that may interest you----The Harveys Brewery that is one of the best purveyors of fine ales in this part of the country. They have a brewery tour in October-With sampling- May be worth getting a ticket.

And one of the market stalls--Yep--A bike repair station. Seemed to be doing a lot of business.

Gmarket..jpg Gharveys..jpg
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-28-10 at 11:12 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gwhat the..jpg
    Leaving Lewes and it was onto rolling hills. I have no idea why but my legs and lungs came in at this point- Must have been the music. But I'll post this one now to get you guessing. Just what Kind of animal is it. Just a clue- they are not common- are domesticated ones and there were fields of them.

But one last view of Cliffe Despite the Renovations going on- you can see the age of this Town. Surprising really as it floods frequently and most of the houses are made of wood and Dry rot must set in on a regular basis.

GCliffe..jpg

Those rolling hills. 200 yards-not steep at around 5 to 8% and just had be gone for. Then one of them and I had a good run at it and began it at 20mph. Stayed in the same gear and pushed- got to the top and I was at 24mph. I do not do 24mph- unless it is downhill and this definitely wasn't. So I'm Back. Taken me all summer to do it but I was just breathing firmly by the top. This was through a Village called Glynd and I had to take the pic of this house.It is one I have admired for years but a few years ago the owner died and her son took the house over. Lots of money spent on it to bring out of the 19th century (I do mean 19th) but this was one of the original houses belonging to the local estate. The previous owner inherited from her father who bought the house in 1912 and it had nothing changed or renovated since it was built. No electricity or any "Mod" cons.

GGlynde..jpg

Now onto that animal at the top- There were fields of them. tried to get a decent picture but most were too far away. Then a couple of fields later got this pic. Alpaca's. Bred for their wool and for sale as breeding stock. No idea what they Bar-B-Que like but could be interesting.

Galpaca..jpg

So only 10 miles to go on those short rollers but I went for it. Got home in record time for the commute- but I reckon it was that stop in Cliffe. 30 miles in 1hr 45mins riding time but also had a few more minutes rest while getting the pics.

All I have to think about nowe is tomorrow. Wonder how my legs are going to feel?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan