Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's finally here! The NEW bike!

Sorta 25 years in the making... I finally picked up my new bike, a custom steel Landshark. The builder is John Slawta in Oregon. I first saw a Landshark at an event ride many years ago. Since then, I would see one here and there and said to myself "Someday..." It took awhile because I just could not justify the expense... still can't but this is it... probably the last road bike I buy (now mountain bikes, another story).

It will be interesting to hear what you think of the paint scheme. I told the builder this "the reason I ride is to be outdoors' I think there is nothing sweeter than riding down a country road on a crisp sunny day,with the weeds and wildflowers blooming, hearing the birds chirp and feeling the wind in my face. I particularly love wild roses..." This was the builder's vision...

Although the bike looks whimsical, it's put together quite seriously. The shop, Main Street Cycles in Santa Maria, added alot of nice touches, some whimsical, some very functional. I think they had fun putting this bike together. The components are Ultegra 10 speed but I added Sram's new XX 36t cassette with an XT derailleur to give my old knees some climbing power. For some silly reason I like to ride hills but as I get older, it gets harder.

I would like to plug Main Street Cycles... if you are ever in Santa Maria, look them up. They are a high end bike shop. The owner, Scott, is an ex racer and knows how to put a serious bike together. He has two full time, experienced mechanics that actually know what they
    are doing. Scott's shop is a regular stop for the professional riders during the Tour de California.

Anyway the photos:

Bike full view - in front of Main Street and more whimsical:

Another full view showing he paint scheme:

Showing the beautiful Sram cassette:
    Last edited by Pamestique; 04-22-14 at 12:10 PM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That matches your personality.
    Pretty bike.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few more photos:

Cool Green CK bottom bracket:

[IMG][/IMG]

Colored wired donuts - fun touch!

It's a Landshark!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Specialized Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's gonna be tough to post a new bike after that. Truly awesome!
    "It was a good life, if you did not know any better."

2009 Jamis Coda Elite
    2000 Specialized Crossroads Sport

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very feminine - now all you need is matching shoes, girl just can't have enough shoes.

Seriously though - sweet!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also here are some images from my trip to Santa Maria:

Santa Maria has some truly lovely beaches although one thing I noticed that creeped me out -- the sea foam is brown!

The area is mostly agricultural - lots of lettuce fields. I found these wilds peas growing along side the road:

You get off the train station in Lompoc and here is your view. Not shabby huh?:

The Santa Ynez River feeds into Surf Beach:

The Lompoc train station is nestled within Vandenberg air force base. I found this old WWII bunker built into the Dunes:

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Very feminine - now all you need is matching shoes, girl just can't have enough shoes.

Seriously though - sweet!
    OK no joking... I am very anti-girly! I hate to shop, have a few good shoes, no more. Just not into all the salon pampering, getting nails done etc. This bike is really not a reflection of my personality... It's too girly; I'm one of the guys. but I am not complaining, it's very pretty!

My Bikes
    Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to see a bike showing whimsy. Too many are simply grim.
    Pivot 5.7
    Rawland Drakkar 650B love it with 38mm Soma tires
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Ultegra
    Santana Fusion Tandem
    2010 Specialized TriCross
    Challenge Concept Trike
    One knee scoped so far.

Homophobia is so gay.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty bike Pam, have fun. Beautiful pictures as well, thanks.
    George

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    OK no joking... I am very anti-girly! I hate to shop, have a few good shoes, no more. Just not into all the salon pampering, getting nails done etc. This bike is really not a reflection of my personality... It's too girly; I'm one of the guys. but I am not complaining, it's very pretty!
    Yesterday I did a century with a women who I consider very tough - she suffers from both allergies and asthma yet she is still a strong rider, nothing girly about her. But what I don't understand is how, when riding close to her after 100 miles, she still smells good! There IS a difference!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I hope I smell good as well....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From The Rules, found here: http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

Rule 8:Saddles, Bars, and Tires:

• Match the saddle to the bars and the tires to black; or
    • Match the bars to the color of the frame at the top of the head tube and the saddle to the color of the frame at the top of the seat tube and the tires to the color where they come closest to the frame; or
    • Match the saddle and the bars to the frame decals; or
    • Black, black, black

Im afraid you are in violation, in general. Please remand the bicycle to me, immediately.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice.
    Since you are so "anti-girly" and "one of the guys", that paint job should be excellent for hiding the occasional errant snot rocket.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll Single, Specialized Sequoia, Specialized XC A1, Specialized Expedition, Electra Townie 21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way cool!!!
    And some very good photography.
    Congratulations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love it, very beautiful is that saddle a kind of Leopard affect? Anyway Enjoy

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that clear tape that I see on the head tube to prevent the cable housing from rubbing against the nice paint job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That part of California truly is beautiful. We used to tramp around that area when I was younger.
    My dad worked at the Vandenburg Missile Range. Those are some nice pics you have there

Sea foam often is an ugly, dirty brown. Much depends on the season and the current conditions. Life in the sea isn't always as portrayed on the Animal Planet or SpongeBob Squarepants. And I remember oil washing up on the beach back BEFORE they had rigs in the Channel. Go figure.

Some folks might also be interested to know that the Japanese planned to assault the US along the California coast. That bunker you have shown here is undoubtedly just one of many fortifications, installations and watching posts built along that desolate stretch of coastline. The Japanese actually did appear in subs off the Cali coast, quite often as I recall reading. They would scout around a good bit and were a constant worry for the residents of the region. Occasionally, they would even shell the coastline with their deck cannon, after popping up from beneath the sea. Good times, man, good times.
    "Watch out for giants; they are boorish fools with tongues wagging, drunk upon their own words.
    They will try to teach you a lesson if given the chance, and you will stumble over their stinking feet."

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pamestique, Nothing like having the bike of your dreams. Ten years from now it'll still be your 'new' bike.

Brad

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is very, very nice. I like it a lot! If someone passed me on the street riding that, it would definitely turn my head.

A pat on the back to you for your excellent choice and for pursuing your dream.

Great cassette too! You must have been pretty serious about it to spring for those kind of bucks.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous bike in a serious, hill-climbin', anti-girly way! I just got a new one too, but not like your beautiful Land Shark! Have fun riding!
    Faster than a sundial.

My Bikes
    08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bike, Pam. It even looks like you got tires fat enough to give some comfort...........

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!" Me, 2009

Specialized Crosstrail Sport - '08
    Nishiki Sport - misappropriated from my youngest son (circa 1984)
    Marin Stinson - misappropriated by my youngest grandson - '01
    "The Beast" - 1990 Schwinn Airdyne (in the basement for winter torture)

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the bike -- it's a great design.

I have seen a few Landsharks in person and the paint is always spectacular -- I'm sure that it's even more amazing in pictures than it appears in your photos (though the photos are nice).

Your build is pretty cool, too - that XX rear cassette is a thing of beauty.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Great cassette too! You must have been pretty serious about it to spring for those kind of bucks.
    +1
    Especially since SRAM and Shimano now have 36 tooth cassettes available down to to much lower price points.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very good even to a newbie like me. The paint job looks good too. I especially like the way the builder put his name on it without being garish like so many of the mainstream manufacturer's. How does it ride?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast